Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Smart Diff

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 12:50 PM
ika

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Diff

I am thinking to make universal diff ,with little servo or switch to switch from locking to open and from open to locking.
I cant find such rc diff , maybe you can help?
Old 09-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Smart Diff

to my knowledge nothing of the sort exists in RC. You would have to design and fabricate (assuming parts are not avaliable) the entire locking mechanism and then a housing to carry them. Sounds like a neat idea, but for the time and money it would take, I don't know that the benefit would be worth it. Just my .02 [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 09-17-2005, 02:07 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

You maybe onto something! An axle diff that could be locked on the fly would be a great commodity in a few situations; drag racing or rock crawling. This also brings up the center diff in some of the better 4wd RCs; in that application your idea would be great however it would only be used if track conditions changed in the middle of a race or if someone goofed up on their setup as a last ditch effort. If you are looking to create a limited slip that works more like a detroit locker then you should look into either the HARM magnetic diff or a visco-diff from Lauterbacher or FG. If a visco-diff is set-up perfectly it will work very well; open diff when turning smooth locking under power.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:01 PM
chevyman_de

A rock crawler would be the only useful application I can imagine, even though it would be a very interesting project. For drag racing a spool is all you'll ever need and on a circuit you don't want a diff you you have to lock/unlock every lap.

Btw, a detroit locker is not really a diff, since it has no gears at all. It's better described as a spool with two clutches to disengage one wheel in turns.
A TrueTrac or a Torsen diff could be more useful, but machining the gears will require some serious equipment, especially for the Torsen.[&o]
Old 09-18-2005, 05:31 AM
pehter aka ibbe

There are some but in scale 1:10-1:14, mostly modified Tamiya and Robbe axles for RC-trucktrail.

http://www.truckmodellsport.de/
http://www.modellbau-froehlich.de/
Old 09-18-2005, 07:38 AM
ika

see link of manually locking differential
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/diff_locks.html
I am thinking how to build it.