Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

1st run :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 10:42 PM
tizdaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st run :)

well i finally got around to running my engine in today :-)

A coule of questions though (as always!)

1) Took a while to start, i think it was because i never primed it properly! anyway after it started for the 1st time it was no probs starting it the second time, The thing im curious about is the choke, I had it in the UP position but as soon i put it in the DOWN position it would kill my engine, & it also would not start in the down position? Annoying thing is manual dont say which direction is on/off for the choke positions!? atm its always up but i want to make sure that this is the right position ?

2) My brakes were (to put it bluntly) crap! ..maybe i have them setup wrong but when ever i tried to apply brake it had very little or no effect & it sounded like it was making the engines revs drop if i applied to long...at times seemed like it would kill the engine ?

3) im only 1/2 way through running-in the engine but my air filter has some muck on it, whats the best way to clean this? is it safe to just take the foam out wash it with warm/soapy water, rinse then let it dry completly then soak it in oil ? if so when people say "soak" do the mean literally stick the foam in a bowl full of oil!? or just a few drops & massage it through the foam?

All in all im very happy with it :-) the very 1st time the engine kicked in i was like a kid wit a new toy for xmas Only had it on low throttle atm cuz of running-in the engine but the power (even with stock exhaust) at low throttle is unbelievable.

One last thing, i came home as it was getting dark (nerf!) anyway my tank has about1/4 fuel left in it, i was planning to run it dry but ran out of time, is it best to NOT run tank dry or is it a good idea (apart from safety reasons) is there any other reason why i should run it dry ?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-31-2005, 12:06 AM
MrMikeG

Default RE: 1st run :)

Starting, push the primer bulb a couple of times (push it all day if you want it doesn't hurt anything) until it is almost full of fuel. Choke engine (lever down) pull it over fast a couple of times or until it coughs, open choke, pull it over again and it should fire right up.

Brakes, sounds like their not adjust properly, mine lock the rear end no problem, infact I had to let them off some as they were too sensitve. Still, rear brakes don't stop the vehicle fast even locked up!
When your brakes are on your engine should be idling. If your brakes are slowing the engine down your idle might be too high, on the other hand if your brakes are stalling your engine the idle might be too low. Sounds like your clutch is draging at low engine speeds, never happened to me so it's hard to say.

Airfilter, oiling depends on the way you apply the oil, if you spray it on then just a coating will do, if you "soak" it then squeeze out the excess.

Fuel, don't let it sit with fuel in it for too long, I have let mine sit for up to 2 weeks with no problem. When the fuel sits it evaporates and turns to varnish, clogging up the system. You can buy a fuel stabilizer to put in your fuel can if it is going to sit around for a long time.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:32 AM
original.mb

glad you got a first run in there mate

stock brakes are crap mate you need to upgrade to some hydros or cable brakes but if you have the cash get the mark 3 k.p designs front hydros they are mint

you can clean your foam filter no probs but i would recommend the teamgonads 'pre-filter' for off-road use.

you can source the hydros and prefilter from - www.sbracing.co.uk

also best not to leave fuel in truck for safety reasons more than anything else

enjoy and don't hammer it untill your engine beds in say 7-10 solid full tanks and you will see a noticeable difference in power
Old 10-31-2005, 09:45 AM
tizdaz

thanks for info guys :-)

I will have a look at the brakes when i run it next (tommoz) ive only just got it clean again! (apart from the wheels) & thanks for that info about using the choke, it makes sense now

Next thing on my shopping list is a dirt cover for the servos/reciever & spur/pinion gears & maybe some shock socks
Old 10-31-2005, 11:32 AM
Canadian_RC
Banned

There is nothing wrong with the stock brakes, they just need to be adjusted properly. My stock brakes will lock up the rear wheels from a WOT start.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:27 PM
HeatFire

the stock brakes works fine.. well atleast they should lock your wheels some.. you better set them up better:P

but front disc brakes are great to have all know where all the weight goes when you brake[:-]

i run my marder without.. and i think it's fine for some bashing at big areas with not much surprises.. but when i get one i allways want those brakes:P

they should be at the priority as the pipe atleast close
Old 10-31-2005, 07:09 PM
MrMikeG

To me Brakes are more important than a pipe, after all going faster you really need some way to stop! Brakes also depend on where you run, I run in a big open area so I don't use them much but when I run in a parking lot stuff comes up a lot quicker and good brakes are a must!
Old 10-31-2005, 09:21 PM
tizdaz

I will eventually get the front brakes :-)

how do they work? (before you laugh let me explain!)

I have a 3chan radio but the 3rd chan is aux (a small knob thats turned) are the front brakes linked to the rear brakes so they brake at same time or do they operate in a different way, :-) ?
Old 10-31-2005, 10:01 PM
jimbo1890

It comes down to personal preference and dollars. I run my front cable brakes from my throttle servo while others run an extra servo and either connect them together with a "Y" lead or use a radio with third channel brake mixing.