Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Which one should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 11:51 PM
qaz393

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one should i get?

which is the best truck offered by FG?
i am planning to get the monster truck.
any suggestion to why or why not?
Old 11-24-2005, 12:11 AM
gonsped69
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Which one should i get?

There is only ONE truck offered by FG

You don't really have a choice. There are only 2 MTs available - FG Monster Beetle and FG MT5.

The Monster Beetle is simply a Marder with MT wheels and a Beetle body + wing.

The MT5 is more updated and has 8 shocks and is a little stiffer due to the strengthening plates on the sides.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:51 AM
mvp1972

There is a Monster Beetle Pro allso.. it is a MT with the Beetle body.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:06 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

I would get the Beetle pro if yo want a monster and a Leopard Race if you want more of a 1/8 style buggy. The Monster Beetle pro's body will out last the trucks body several times. It's thicker and doesn't crack since it has no sharp corners like the truck does. I've had all the bodies so I know. Also the truck body comes in two pcs. the truck and the front bumper that bolts on. The beetle is one pc like most off-road bodies.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:09 AM
original.mb

i have the fg mb and it does handle better out of the box than the mt
Old 11-24-2005, 07:23 AM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

You have two options for trucks for fg:

The MT or the Stadium truck. THe stadium truck is the MT chassis with the stadium truck tires and a different body.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:14 PM
qaz393

what is the difference between the monster beetle pro, monster beetle and the mt
Old 11-24-2005, 05:14 PM
vwdude199

monster beetle pro is the MT but with a beetle body and wing to my knowledge, the normal monster beetle just has 4 shocks instead of 8 like the other
Old 11-24-2005, 05:55 PM
qaz393

for the same price, should i get the mt or mb pro?
Old 11-24-2005, 06:31 PM
vwdude199

what body stilye do you liek better, see me i would go with the MB pro, just becaus ei liek that one a lot more, that is just me
Old 11-24-2005, 06:48 PM
tizdaz

MB Pro & MT are exactly the same models (only difference is the body, which cost exactly the same also)
Stadium truck is almost exactly the same, only difference is the body/tyres (& i think gearing due to the smaller low-profile tyres?)

Also depending where your buying from, try to get the model which comes with the Zenoah engine (not the CY) to what ive heard/read about the Zenoah engine is better then the CY (although some might argue this!) but the CY engine is cheaper than the zenoah but you will still be charged the same price...so try get the zenoah model :-)

Here in UK when i was making enquiries about the FG MB Pro, i wanted to make sure i got the Zenoah engine version, One place i contacted told me that in UK all the FG models come with the CY engine not the Zenoah... this was bull Sh*t, I got mine from kevs racing bits in UK & it came with the Zenoah :-)

Im very pleased with my FG MB Pro, but a little tip, Remove the anit-roll bar from rear..it limits the suspension & makes it very stiff...without it the suspension is much better :-)

The good thing about getting the MB Pro or MT or ST... is choose one, then you can have all 3 just buy swapping the body's :-) (£70 for a new type shell is cheaper than buying a whole new model!) ..i still want to know what the ST body looks like with Bigfoot wheels as i want the stadium body but dont wanna lose the ground clearance that the bigfoot tires give :-)
Old 11-24-2005, 08:05 PM
qaz393

well i will think of getting the mb since everyone that post pics are mb. also, should i get it in rtr or kit form? is the rtr radio system any good.

also i m getting it from [link]http://www.advancehobbies.com/[/link] which is $1372.55 cnd x 1.15(for tax) . is it a good deal?
Old 11-24-2005, 09:20 PM
qaz393

how do i tell the difference between CY and Zenoah engines?
Old 11-25-2005, 12:45 AM
gonsped69

There is very little difference between the CY and the Zenoah. Those that can afford more, usually prefers the Zenoah because they have never tried anything else.

Performancewise both engines are very much the same. The CY engine is simply a Zenoah 2003 where the piston ring is thicker and the ports are supposedly sightly different although I personally cannot see any difference. I own both a CY and Zenoah and disassembled both to pieces.

CY is made in Taiwan and is a very reliable engine which is also used in the Petrol Go-Peds. As far as everyone knows, there is no one that has any problems with a CY motor. These are after all slightly more precise weed-whacker motors. CY is considerably cheaper than Zenoah which others take as cheap knock-off.

Zenoah/Komatsu is a Japanese brand and I believe it is made in Japan - we all know Japanese parts cannot compete pricewise with other Asian countries. Buildwise, they are of the same finish - in the outer casing, Zenoah isn't any more precise than the CY. Both have the same finish and the same amount of "burrs" from the casting process.

You can have an ultimate 29cc CY for 25% less price than a bone stock 23cc Zenoah. There are several people in this forums that possess these big bored engines (myself included) and you are most welcome to ask them what they think of their CY engines.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:04 AM
tizdaz

my MB pro came with a 29cc Zenoah :-)

As gonsped69 says, theres not really much difference between them (apart from price) So if you gunna pay the same for the CY model as you would the Zenoah, id go for zenoah...unless they are willing to drop the price about £70-100 as thats the price difference between the two engines

..You said your going to go for the MB... is that MB or MB Pro? ..if you get MB pro you can easily swap between body's of the MT/ST with no extra mods ..also MB Pro has 8 shocks (opposed to the 4 on MB) alloy sides & a few other touches

To tell the difference is simple..Zenoah engine has a big sticker on the pull start case that says "Zenoah" :-) ...i know these stickers can be fake...but any decent model shop wont try this as it would be highly illegal!
Old 11-25-2005, 07:35 AM
SELWA

Hey if you're getting it from Advance tell them you know Joe Selwa (Me) I deal with them all the time and they give me good prices. If you pay cash you may be able to save the taxes. 3 versions of my FG are on the website under gallery.

http://www.advancehobbies.com/gallery5.html
http://www.advancehobbies.com/gallery.html

ORIGINAL: qaz393

well i will think of getting the mb since everyone that post pics are mb. also, should i get it in rtr or kit form? is the rtr radio system any good.

also i m getting it from [link]http://www.advancehobbies.com/[/link] which is $1372.55 cnd x 1.15(for tax) . is it a good deal?
Old 11-25-2005, 07:54 AM
gonsped69

rctruckz - are you sure and certain that your engine is a Zenoah?

The real telltale difference is:

* red cap on the spark plug (CY has black cap)
* yellow kill switch (CY has red switch)
* piston ring is thinner (CY has thicker piston rings)
* Cylinder head has none of these "cylindrical poles" built in - see pic below of CY engine head

As far as I am aware and a quick look in www.zenoah.net - there is no 29cc Zenoah.

I know the top two parts can be bought and retrofitted onto a CY engine, but its harder and more expensive to obtain a Zenoah head and nobody ever checks inside for the piston ring. Plus you can't see these casted "cylindrical poles" if the engine is assembled. You need to take off the fan cover/pullstart assembly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51341.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	359997  
Old 11-25-2005, 08:38 AM
Big Boys Toys and Hobbies

These engines are easy to modify. You can port and polish the head and make it scream. Zenoah is run on gopeds. Gopeds pull people. They already have the pulling power. I had the Monster Truck a few months ago and its awesome. It will haul booty. I have the sportsline 04 long chassis and its a blast in parking lots. I have some videos on my website, check it out! www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com
Old 11-25-2005, 12:40 PM
quantum2plus2

ORIGINAL: rctruckz

Also depending where your buying from, try to get the model which comes with the Zenoah engine (not the CY) to what ive heard/read about the Zenoah engine is better then the CY (although some might argue this!) but the CY engine is cheaper than the Zenoah but you will still be charged the same price...so try get the Zenoah model :-)

Here in UK when I was making enquiries about the FG MB Pro, I wanted to make sure I got the Zenoah engine version, One place I contacted told me that in UK all the FG models come with the CY engine not the Zenoah... this was bull Sh*t, I got mine from kevs racing bits in UK & it came with the Zenoah :-)

Im very pleased with my FG MB Pro, but a little tip, Remove the anit-roll bar from rear..it limits the suspension & makes it very stiff...without it the suspension is much better :-)
I was told by Richard Styles (the guy who runs Rosendale Models) that King Cobra (the UK importer of FG owned by Bob Styles(his father)) were not going to import anymore Zenoah engined modals into the UK and all the new stock would be fitted with the CY engine.

When I spoke to Kev at Kevs Racing Bits he had stock of all the FG monsters (with both engines) but couldn't match the price I got my truck for.

There is a big debate as to which engine is better. IMO for general use I prefer the CY (& yes I own both) as it requires less maintenance than the zenoah due to the thicker piston ring fitted to the CY.
The piston ring on a 04 model Zenoah should be changed every 5 hours or so to keep it at its best where as the CY ring will last longer due to being thicker.

ORIGINAL: rctruckz
my MB pro came with a 29cc Zenoah
You sure? Kev doesn't even mention the 29cc engine on his site just the 23 and 26cc
http://www.kevsracingbits.co.uk/

BTW gonsped69 my CY has a red plug cap
Old 11-25-2005, 01:31 PM
tizdaz

aye my bad, its 26cc (G260RC) :-) i was getting confused

& even without a tuned exhaust, the power is more than enough for the time being :-)

But as for which engine is *best* i guess theres no real answer tbh, each engine probably has its pros & cons :-)

ive not owned a CY engine so i cant comment on it, but like i said in my other post..if your going to be paying the same price as you would for the kit with a CY engine as you would with a Zenoah, then id defiantely insist on getting the one with the zenoah as it costs a good £70+ more than the CY..or if your not fussed about which engine you have, ask the dealer to knock £70 odd off if you go for the kit with a CY :-)

But im 100% happy with my Zenoah, starts 1st time, not cut out on me once (until i run out of fuel ofc!) & ive still to finish fine tuning it!
Old 11-25-2005, 01:39 PM
SELWA

My Marder which was a MB has a Zenoah 260 and has worked well for a year with no problems at all. My new Harm has the Solo Basic. I've only ran 1 tank through it and it seems fine. Is the CY and Solo engine the same??
Old 11-25-2005, 02:08 PM
radio_controlled_mad

i bought a fg from rossendales and it came with a zen engine - and looking on rossendales website they offer the choice of either the zen or cy at no extra cost - so if you can choose a zen at no extra cost in ££££ terms it has to be better value without getting into the cy vs zen debate,fg only used cy as zen couldnt keep up with the demand due to the success of the mt in the usa but they soon switched back to zen - not because plp were scared of trying something new - but when your paying £600+ for a fg its the least you expect.....
Old 11-25-2005, 02:55 PM
quantum2plus2

ORIGINAL: radio_controlled_mad

i bought a fg from rossendales and it came with a zen engine - and looking on rossendales website they offer the choice of either the zen or cy at no extra cost - so if you can choose a zen at no extra cost in ££££ terms it has to be better value without getting into the cy vs zen debate,fg only used cy as zen couldnt keep up with the demand due to the success of the mt in the usa but they soon switched back to zen - not because plp were scared of trying something new - but when your paying £600+ for a fg its the least you expect.....
Where??
Only FG's on there with the zenoah are the Leopard and on road. I cant see a option for the Monsters with the zenoah.
Rik told me on the phone when I was pricing things up months ago that there would be no more new monsters from them with the zenoah engines.

This is a extract from one of Rik Stiles emails before the phone conversation (email dated 18/8/2005)

The Cy is a copy of the Zenoah engine but in every respect is its equal! We no longer order cars from FG with the Zenoah fitted because the CY is cheaper and every bit as good
Old 11-25-2005, 03:14 PM
radio_controlled_mad

king cobra supply all model shops in the uk with fg cars and spares as they have the sole uk import rights with fg - if kevs racing bits can supply a fg with a zen engine direct from his site or ebay - along with all other large scale stockists in the uk then obviously since they are all supplied from king cobra then they do come with a zen as standard it wouldnt make sense putting in a more expensive engine and charge the same - rossendales are a normal model shop and stock everything not just fg - the only ties they have with kcr is family - rossendales can sell what they like with whatever engine is fitted if people are willing to pay - its all about the ££££££,take alook on rossendales website £350 for a zen engine!!!!!

edit - response from your rossendales quote "The Cy is a copy of the Zenoah engine but in every respect is its equal! We no longer order cars from FG with the Zenoah fitted because the CY is cheaper and every bit as good"

cy is cheaper for who!! - i dont see any price difference between cars fitted with zen or cy,rossendales will just use kcr as a stockist like all uk model shops and order what they think will make them the most profit
Old 11-25-2005, 05:14 PM
quantum2plus2

I dont see any zenoah powered marders or monsters on Kevs site anymore.
He used to list them with the cy powered cars but they were £80 more expensive.
I've got to get a new body for the MT sometime soon (to make a mould from) so will ask Rik if it still stands true about the zenoah's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.