Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Your opinion???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Harvick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your opinion???

I have been thinking about getting a Gas powered large scale off road vehicle. I think I like the FG monster truck. I know nothing about it. I know it is 2wd but I would like something with 4wd. Does anyone make such a thing? I heard that there is a conversion to make the FG monster 4wd, but have been unable to find any info on it. Is there another manufacturer I should take a look at besides FG? Is there a big difference between FG's Truck and beetle? Any one have experience withe the HPI buggy coming out?

Any opinion you have will be greatly appreciatted! I like trucks better then cars, and want 4wd if possible. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Happy Harvick
Old 12-18-2005, 01:41 PM
HeatFire

Default RE: Your opinion???

MCD make a 4x4 gas monster truck.. for alot of cash.. ALOT..
well cos of the size even my Marder makes some nice offroad
but 4x4 for FG aint out yet..
Old 12-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Harvick

Any links to see the MCD?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:38 PM
radio_controlled_mad

ORIGINAL: Harvick

theres a usa seller that can get the mcd shipped but i forgot who - but it does workout cheaper than the link below from the uk website...

http://www.rossendalemodels.co.uk/in...3bc6889bcb19d8

http://www.kingcobra.co.uk/mcd/monsters.html
Old 12-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Croozer
My Feedback: (1)

This is the best price I found on the 4x4 MCD Proline truck, about $1443 USD, which is not much higher than a FG MT.

http://www.gpracing.de/de/dept_53.html
Old 12-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Harvick

Thanks for the links, What do you think of the FG MT even though it is 2wd? Is it a good choice or would I be better off getting something else? I don't want to buy something only to find out it is crap.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:11 PM
Big Boys Toys and Hobbies

FG makes the best 1/5 scale production cars and trucks. I have seen an FG MT take a beeting that a TMaxx would take. The under body is made of aluminum as well as the sides. The Zenoah starts up everytime with no hassle, the shocks could be a little softer. Have you seen the all plastic Smartech? What a waste, the whole under body is plastic, it might as well be a TMAXX. FG is the way to go for the durability. So what if it cost a little more, its worth it!!

Chris

www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com
Old 12-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Harvick

Does no one else have an opinion on gas cars or trucks? Come on I would like more opinions.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:50 PM
mvp1972

ORIGINAL: freemurray

the shocks could be a little softer.

Chris

It is no problem just change to a "softer" oil.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:33 AM
Mad Wax

Does no one else have an opinion on gas cars or trucks? Come on I would like more opinions.
Large scale petrol models are great, much more enjoyable easier to start and bigger than nitro.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:01 AM
Automan

FG do make really good quality trucks. But as with everything, there are a few very minor things you will have to change to make it more bullitproof, as for gearholder change to aluminum, and after a while get atleast better housing for the diff if you run where there is allot of rocks. And the shockoil is probably changed now in factory to softer then before.

Just remember to check it over.. check for loose bolts etc now and again. And forget all mess and headache with pos nitro[:'(], these bigscale gasoline engines will run like a clock if just maintained in a proper way, that is use good oil, have a right mix and you don't ever have to think of it again, just pull the cord and of you go [sm=thumbup.gif]

Sure there are great 4wd trucks from MCD, but the quality is about the same, just more expensive, and hard to find parts, and many times way to big to enjoy, and when i say way to big to enjoy.. im thinking about their Humvee edition, that is cool but just to damn big (that sucker is among the 1/4scales in size, and really... even if it's cool, it's just to big to enjoy in anyway like the FG's, im sorry to say)

I say according to my personal opinion, that FG have the right big beefy size on their monster trucks 1/6, it feels big and way maxed fun to drive, and are just precise within the biggest size you would want a rc car to be to enjoy fully. As bigger then these FG's will be hard to move around and quite hard to find space enough to run it.... it's hard enough with my FG bigfoot, but i just love mine

edit: Be sure to use a good air filter [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Harvick

ORIGINAL: Automan

FG do make really good quality trucks. But as with everything, there are a few very minor things you will have to change to make it more bullitproof, as for gearholder change to aluminum, and after a while get atleast better housing for the diff if you run where there is allot of rocks. And the shockoil is probably changed now in factory to softer then before.

Just remember to check it over.. check for loose bolts etc now and again. And forget all mess and headache with pos nitro[:'(], these bigscale gasoline engines will run like a clock if just maintained in a proper way, that is use good oil, have a right mix and you don't ever have to think of it again, just pull the cord and of you go [sm=thumbup.gif]

Sure there are great 4wd trucks from MCD, but the quality is about the same, just more expensive, and hard to find parts, and many times way to big to enjoy, and when i say way to big to enjoy.. im thinking about their Humvee edition, that is cool but just to damn big (that sucker is among the 1/4scales in size, and really... even if it's cool, it's just to big to enjoy in anyway like the FG's, im sorry to say)

I say according to my personal opinion, that FG have the right big beefy size on their monster trucks 1/6, it feels big and way maxed fun to drive, and are just precise within the biggest size you would want a rc car to be to enjoy fully. As bigger then these FG's will be hard to move around and quite hard to find space enough to run it.... it's hard enough with my FG bigfoot, but i just love mine

Thanks for the info-looks like Fg is the way to go, hope they get a 4wd soon or at least a conversion!
Thanks for the info, sounds like the FG MT is the way to go, Hopefully they will come out with a 4wd or at least a 4wd conversion soon, I am getting bit by the "giant" bug!

edit: Be sure to use a good air filter [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Mad Wax

Just had a quick go of my FG- haven't been used for a couple of months (more info biking) anyway pressed prime pump until the fuel just goes into the carb. Choke on, two pulls and a slight start sound. Choke off, one pull and it starts You won't get that with nitro, not unless the nitro engine is setup up perfectly and have the perfect amount of fuel (to much and you flood it)
Fitted a new 3600mah NIMH Sanyo pack also.

Be aware the MT and buggies handle quite differently and you have to mess around with wheelie bar etc the MT is a far lower spec to a Marder Race (or a Leopard Race) to upgrade MT to Marder Race spec is quite expensive.

Personally I would not buy a FG "Monster" vehicle unless the weight balance was a bit more forward (or if it were a 4WD) Download a few MT/MB/Marder/Leopard movies from the video section to get a idea.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:07 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Have you seen the all plastic Smartech? What a waste, the whole under body is plastic, it might as well be a TMAXX.
I'm not sure which Smartech car you are speaking of but it is not the 1/5 scale 2-cycle buggy. I have a Firehammer which is identical to the Smartech. The chassis plate is 4mm aluminum (same spec as FG Marder, maybe not same quality). All the suspension parts are plastic on all Smartech and clones and FG (except Leopard?). All except Leopard have plastic dff case with thin aluminum sleeve.

If I had it to over again I would go straight to the FG Marder if I had to keep it to $1000. I would buy the Leopard if I had $1500. You get a lot of costly hop-ups on the Leopard such as tuned pipe, alloy shocks, alloy diff case, steel pinion, etc. It also has a longer chassis and a wider stance (wheel spacers?). I added up the hop-ups and it was less than buying them separate and upgrading a base Marder or Firehammer.

I have bought some of these hop-ups for my Firehammer out of need. Now that I have run my car for 7 months I have begun to understand it weaknesses.

Ken
Old 12-20-2005, 03:45 PM
Mad Wax

Yikes is the Leopard really $1500? It's available in the UK for (converted from Euro to US$) for $1140! The leopard does have longer wheelbase & chassis, plus the width between each L/R side is wider, alu. diff, pipe, poly body, steel pinion, balldrive as standard, touring car RC plate (much improved over Marder plate) alu shocks. Larger and wider tyres I think? Marder does look considerbly smaller in all axis next to the Leopard. Leopard suspension arm's are plastic, except for the steel or alu. turnbuckles. The rear suspension parts are identical to Marder (upper and lower) however fronts are totally different. Front bulkheads are different, but rear shock tower and diff side walls are identical (except for diff riser) Different engine mounts also. Chassis is not Marder chassis- AFAIK it's the onroader chassis? Marder has small side skirts, Leopard larger side cheeks (seems to reduce amount of stuff flown inside chassis bay)

It's a shame all Marder style chassis aren't upgraded to "Race" spec, as really MT/MB/Pajero/off-roader -onroader Beetle is equal to Marder Eco []
Old 12-20-2005, 04:55 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: freemurray

FG makes the best 1/5 scale production cars and trucks. I have seen an FG MT take a beeting that a TMaxx would take. The under body is made of aluminum as well as the sides. The Zenoah starts up everytime with no hassle, the shocks could be a little softer. Have you seen the all plastic Smartech? What a waste, the whole under body is plastic, it might as well be a TMAXX. FG is the way to go for the durability. So what if it cost a little more, its worth it!!

Chris

????? Smartechs whole under body/ chassis is plastic not on the 1/5 buggy or the 1/5 truck...what vehicle are you talking about?
Gonsped69's $719 to your door is a really good deal for a New 1/5 truck
This is my carson comanche which is the exact same as the Smartech truck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17798.gif
Views:	15
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	373319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58766.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	373320   Click image for larger version

Name:	He97382.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	373321  
Old 12-20-2005, 06:11 PM
Automan

Thanks for the info-looks like Fg is the way to go, hope they get a 4wd soon or at least a conversion!
Thanks for the info, sounds like the FG MT is the way to go, Hopefully they will come out with a 4wd or at least a 4wd conversion soon, I am getting bit by the "giant" bug!

Harvick, take it easy now fella Im not saying the the monster truck would be the best choice for you. It's harder to drive then a buggy, and a buggy may probably be able to run even faster, and take corners better.
What im trying to say is that a buggy is more easy to get started with, and are a really nice and fun car to drive. The monster truck is fun to, but some adjustments is have to be done to make it handle close to a buggy.
I think a buggy will hold up for more punishment then a monster truck will, because they are lighter and have about the same strength in built.

Your choice, but remember those buggys are real nice and fun to drive, and that monster truck will put more strain to the drivechain then a buggy would.
But in my personal opinion, i just love my bigfoot and wouldn't trade it for anything, as i love how it handles and looks, and although im not racing with it (but i wouldn't have anything against a race ) im bashing it hard and driving wild to the extreme every time... after i have warmed up with a tank, and we get tired of the camera, we really open her up and drive like maniacs, and that is so cool to just let go and feel the car ripping up the ground beneath it's big wheels, and the smell of gasoline.... it's just something i will never stop playing with, just love it so, best meditation in the world i say [sm=thumbup.gif]

Good luck Harvick ! hope you take a good look at all videos, take your time and really think about what would be the best choice for you, not whats hot and not hot at the moment.... even i don't know what is hot and not, but then again... i don't care

Edit: Don't hold your breath for the 4wd kit to arrive (thats not overpriced), or a fg 4wd monster truck etc, maybe late late next year, who knows. The 2wd is really more fun to drive, i know

Old 12-20-2005, 07:02 PM
amitysanimal

hellya.....Where can I find one of the Comanche bodies here in the states and do you know how much they are?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:28 AM
Harvick

Has anyone driven the FG stadium Truck? I think that may be a good compromise between a buggy and the MT.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:14 AM
SELWA

Depending what you want it to do I would choose one of these FG's: (Not in this order)

Stadium Truck
Monster Beetle or MB Pro (the Beetle body is much more durable that the truck)
Leopard Race

I would get a Leopard Race if I had to do it all over again. I've had MY FG as a MT,MB and now it's a tricked out Marder but I still have most of the other parts to convert.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:18 AM
Harvick

ORIGINAL: SELWA

Depending what you want it to do I would choose one of these FG's: (Not in this order)

Stadium Truck
Monster Beetle or MB Pro (the Beetle body is much more durable that the truck)
Leopard Race

I would get a Leopard Race if I had to do it all over again. I've had MY FG as a MT,MB and now it's a tricked out Marder but I still have most of the other parts to convert.
I am just looking to bash-Why do you wish you bought the leopard? Is the beetle the same as the MT exept for the body? I just want one that will go through some nasty stuff, climb some big hills, and some speed. Just general bashing.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:25 AM
SELWA

The leopard is a bit longer and wider that the others. The MT,MB,MB Pro and Stadium are basically all the same. If it's for bashing you can go with the MB Pro. This way you get the re-inforced sides and 8 shocks instead of just 4. You can alway convert to a buggy later and keep the wheels for bashing and more ground clearance. The Leopard Race is more since it's comes with different drive shafts, threaded shocks and a tuned pipe among a few other changes. Download the catalogue and you can see for yourself, It's a PDF file and about 53MB!!

http://www.molzermoweryracing.com/download_page.html
Old 12-21-2005, 08:31 AM
Mad Wax

It's a much higher spec machine for not much more (to upgrade a Marder Eco/MT/MB to Leopard Race would cost hundreds) I don't own "Monster" but from the movies I've seen they suffer from wheelies once you go into tuned pipe or higher powered engine (you can solve this by using thinner oil)

The MT is similar to MB, however MT has 8 shocks and side panels, the MB is basically a Marder with Monster tyres and with minor parts difference (body of course, plus different gearing and drive bolts) The Monster Beetle Pro is identical to MT with the 8 shocks except for the body & spoiler.

DL a few movies to get a idea...I think one bloke from The Netherlands had a few decent length Marder/Off-roader Marder/Monster Beetle movies.

I like the looks of the Pajero, tub to keep body and air filter clean, big body so looks huge :-) I wouldn't mind getting a "Monster" shame not of a different design though...needs more weight towards the front.