Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

diff disasembly question.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:32 AM
8000ft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff disasembly question.

I feel really stupid for even asking this but.......how does the diff come apart on the mt5?
I had it out when I first got the truck to pour in some 10k oil but I couldn't get it to open up. I figgured that it was just tight because it was new so I put it back in. It's running fine now but I know that some night it will make a funny noise and I will want to pull it apart. I'd just like to know for future reference.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:53 PM
8000ft

Default RE: diff disasembly question.

Has any body ever taken their diff apart, come on guys.....a little help here please........
Old 01-14-2006, 06:05 PM
05FGMT/FIREHAMMER

first take off the 4 screws holding the diff gear on. then remove the diff gear. then remove the 1 or 2 screws in the end holding the diff tube on. then pull off the diff tube. there you are inside to the gears. but if the diff tube has bad dents and dings you might have to cut it off. if you want the gears out then pull the 2 inboard drive cups out and push out the pin holding the 2 middle ones in and they 4 will all fall out in your hand. hope this helps you.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:37 PM
mnf1sand

There is no need to take the gear off. Usually the gear won't come off anyways if there are any dents in the tube. I cut the tubes off with a tin snips.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:33 AM
05FGMT/FIREHAMMER

it takes 10 seconds to take out the 4 screws and slide the diff gear off. also i think its impossible to put the 4 gears back in as a complete unit with the gear on, not enough room from side to side. if you want to be technical about it he said he just wanted to pour some oil in it he could have just left it in the truck and pulled out 1 of the inboard drive cups and squirted the oil in it and put it back in. whatever floats your boat. i was just giving him the complete diff disassembly.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:25 PM
ibstar

i to have never got a ring gear off with out first cutting the tube off, but mine are always dented.
i found with the plastic diff case's after a while the output shafts seem to bind in the case and seems to kind of lock the diff up,
i am on the second one now and they both gone the same way
Old 01-16-2006, 03:43 PM
hellya

replace your thin stock diff tube with this bad boy...2 mm thick steel diff tube lets see you put a dent in this
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2006, 05:54 PM
ratpower396

I thought the stock diffs werent sealed so oil would just seep right out anyhow???