Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Engine Timing

Old 01-15-2006, 04:43 PM
PropaneDr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Timing

is there any engine timing on the stock zen g260 ? im haveing problems trying to get this thing to run. Im stumpped
Old 01-15-2006, 05:23 PM
HeatFire

Default RE: Engine Timing

well.. checked sparkplug? change it:P
primed? choked? etc etc
there is alot to do.. and the timing aint one of em that you should start with
Old 01-15-2006, 05:44 PM
tizdaz

can only echo what Heat said tbh

But give us more info too, does it try to start, does it sound completely dead etc?

Make sure you eliminate any other possible causes before messing with any timing

-Check spark plug is actually sparking
-Check fuel is going to carb
-Check for flooding
-Check your priming it properly
-Check you got the choke switch in right position when priming/starting! (i did this today :P )

Once youve done this let us know how u get on
Old 01-15-2006, 06:04 PM
HeatFire

just some extra info.. if you have checked everything change the sparkplug to a new one some sparkplugs spark in the "open" but dont spark under pressure
i had some problem with not knowing how to set the choke open.. just take the filter off and look if you wanna be sure how
a good thing is to check the idle setting mine were out 3-4 turns... sounded like an old steam train at full thottle should be our about.. 1 1/2 ???
Old 01-15-2006, 07:35 PM
PropaneDr

the motor is new. doesnt have one full tank thru it. i was making a high speed run , then it shut down like it hit the kill switch. Im using a 32:1 fuel mix. I tried to restart the motor, no luck. removed plug and held it next to the head, i had spark. re inserted plug and tried again. no fire or pop. removed plug, cleaned and dropped a little fuel into cyl head. re installed plug. tried again, no fire. removed plug and replaced with new ngk plug. has fire outside on the head. put it back into the engine, tried it again, nothing doesnt even sound like its trying to burn the fuel. pulled plug out held finger over opening and pulled rope. had enough pressure to blow fuel out. i removed the head yesterday, found that the piston shad two shiny spots on the piston and the ring was stuck. i pulled ring off cleaned the ring groove reinstalled the head and tried the process over again. still no spark.
im stumped.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:46 PM
PropaneDr

i also tried starting fluid. cant get it to even fire. [&o]
Old 01-15-2006, 07:54 PM
turnell

It my have all been caused by attempting a high speed run with an engine that hasn't even had a tank thru it. It really is vital to run these things in, if you don't it'll cause serious damage to your engine, i'v never heard of anything sinister happening from a couple of small outbursts of speed but if you've been running this thing hard out of the box then it may have done the engine damage in some way. over revving a fresh engine causes stuff to get caught up and bend due to not being worn in which may be what happened to you piston ring, the slightest bend can cause the engine not to start, so maybe try a new piston ring and see how that goes. Good Luck.

..........TURNELL..........
Old 01-15-2006, 07:57 PM
PropaneDr

thanks for the info. i guess im guilty of not taking my time with this. ill try an new piston, ring and head.

thanks
Old 01-15-2006, 11:08 PM
tizdaz

ORIGINAL: PropaneDr

the motor is new. doesnt have one full tank thru it. i was making a high speed run
did you even bother to read the manual by anychance !?

rule #1 = ALWAYS do a break-in/run-in procedure on any new engine!
Old 01-16-2006, 10:39 AM
PropaneDr

nope, that was my #1 mistake. now im paying for it.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:15 PM
ibstar

no spark what so ever is not likely to be timing
if timing was out you'd still see a spark.
more likely the coil pack may have come loose and moved away from the pick up causing no spark.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:11 PM
PropaneDr

im getting spark (outside of the head) but when i put the plug in , it doesnt sound like its fireing. ive tried 3 different plugs now, im waiting for my new head and piston kit. then ill try again.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:33 PM
PropaneDr

It works installed the big bore kit from DDM and it runs now. started up on the second pulll !! Yipe !! now i just need to take care of the motor and break in properly.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:07 PM
ammdrew

most likly you have stuck the piston ring on the piston. when motors are new and tight this is most likly, it will peel like it has compression but not enough to run, take the jug off and look at the piston ring it should move easily in its bore, you will probably be able to see were the alloy has melted onto the ring, it will look a bit like a smudge. sometimes you can work the ring free and clean the groove to make the motor run, always check the cylinder to see if it is damaged by the ring sticking also.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:12 PM
PropaneDr

Thats what happened. the ring was stuck, and had a small gouge in the cyl wall.i freed up the ring and re assembled. then did more damage becuase i didnt have the ring positioned correctly on piston. well got the new parts today and everything is great now.

thanks
Old 01-19-2006, 05:52 AM
MrMikeG

I run 20:1 never stuck a ring or fouled a plug. More oil seals the rings better giving more HP, these engines are not that high comp to start with. Cheap insurance!