Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

*snap*...Baja A arms

Old 01-21-2006, 02:39 AM
freemind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *snap*...Baja A arms

The baja's front a arms looks like it could break with a mild crash. http://www.hpieurope.com/graphics/wa...snow-4-800.jpg
What do you guys think?
Old 01-21-2006, 03:36 AM
StefanL

Default RE: *snap*...Baja A arms

This topic has been hashed to death during the last six months or so....

We won´t know until the Baja´s are out there in the dirt. So I will refrain from having an opinion until the car has been tested IRL.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:08 AM
jimbo1890

Mate, that's either a genuine question or a hand grenade.

if it's genuine do a search on the hpi baja you will find lots of opinions on the matter and also the reason for this post , if it's the latter then shame on you!
Old 01-21-2006, 06:04 AM
Mouton

It does not need to be a problem. FG has excellent plastic, which, sometimes is stronger than alloy. Plastic can flex, something alloy cannot. When I crashed into a tree a month ago only the alloy steering rod broke. The plastic parts were all fine in spite of the cold wheather (appr. -12 degrees Celsius).

Some of FG's plastic parts also look brittle but still hold together so I would rather wait and see before I voice any opinions about the HPI's rigidity.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:10 AM
J_D

and even when the plastic parts break - They are a lot cheaper to replace than alloy lol
Old 01-21-2006, 07:35 AM
TurtleRacing

HPI has already said they are the prototypes & were to be beefed up in production.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Crash_Dummy

Not wrong about the toughness of of FG plastics. My Leopard survived a full throttle runaway into a tree. The front left suspension arm and wheel was pushed back hard into the body and rebounded with no damage.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

Its made in over there, its hpi, so its made to be broken and it will. Save your money.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:28 AM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

At the risk of starting a Savage VS (insert MT here) war..... HPI is very well known for having durable products, especially their plastics. Look at the Savage if you want to see that.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:20 AM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

I owned a tmaxx, so i always hated the savage because how ignorant the savage owners were. We would race, i would win. And there is not a single thing that a tmaxx can do that savage cannot do and vice versa.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:23 AM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first experience with HPI was a RS4 Nitro in 98 or 99, I lost the Xstal and the car went into a loop beating itself against the two 6 inch curbs on either side of the road until I got my foot on it and killed the engine. The only damage was a hub and a lower A arm. HPI has done allot with their products. That said, I look at those A arms and I get the same thought, that they will break and are so obviously undersized that no engineer would have done such a thing unless he was an idiot and that the first few tests would have show that they break easily. I also think that while no company would ship a product with such an obvious point of failure that the shelves are stacked with products with such clear and glaring problems. Yet, I have to say that the rest of the car looks so spot on that their must be something too it. I am betting that there is either something to these A arms and that they are tough as hell or that they are pure junk and I will just make my own.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:56 AM
jeepfreak1972

Like Turtle said. They are prototypes and HPI said the arms will be braced for the production models. In fact, in the March R/C Car mag I just got in the mail, on page 51, you can see the wide open arms that look weak but on page 48 at the top you get a good view of the bottom of the car as they jump it and you can the new crossed braced arm in that pic.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:23 PM
HeatFire

Dr.ArmoMaxx you cant blame a company that some of the users of their products are kinda.. funny..
i think even those arms can take some beating.. and after the new version it will be perfect
Old 01-22-2006, 06:43 PM
TurtleRacing

Man, I owned several Maxxes & I currently own several Revos & I tell that there are just as many fanatics driving them as Savages. I haven't owned a Savage but have been around a few, they are very good RC's, I have confidence that HPI will release a very good Baja. Once again, they have already said the A-arms will be strengthed in production so this is a waiste.