Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Brake in on new cylinder question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Brake in on new cylinder question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 08:48 AM
8000ft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake in on new cylinder question

I just put in a new cylinder and ring and have run almost one tank of non-synthetic 25:1 through it at moderate rpms with just a couple of short wide open passes.

My question is how many tanks do you think I should run before switchcing to a synthetic at 25:1?

It's not a whole engine, just the top end.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:36 AM
turnell

Default RE: Brake in on new cylinder question

Just a couple. its usually the crank that needs the most part of the firts run in, so if u've just changed the top end it shouldn't be that much.

.............TURNELL.............
Old 04-13-2006, 10:49 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

dont use synthetic oil..... there is no heat protection. i run maxima 927 castor at 6 ounces to the gallon. i have seen many cylinders that have run synthetic oils and im not convinced that they are better than a regular high performance 2 stroke oil if you dont want to run straight castor just replace 2 ounces to the gallon with castor, so if you run 6 oz per gallon of oil now run 4 oz and add 2 oz of castor.
a couple full tanks run easy with some short blasts will pretty much break it in
Old 04-13-2006, 11:11 AM
8000ft

Thats the exact oil that I just picked up from a Yamaha dealer down in Denver. As a matter of fact I was about 5 minutes in to my first tank of using it when my enging went kapluie. I must say that I was a bit concerened that it was the oil's fault.

So is the Max 927 a non-synth? I'm reading the back of the bottle .."Synthetic esters,degummed castor oil and special additives eliminate ring sticking while preventing rust and corrosion."

Wouldn't that mean that it's part synth and part non-synth?
Old 04-13-2006, 12:10 PM
carpy100

i'd reccomend castrol A747. its used by many,many racers and bashers over here. its synthetic/castor mix. best of both worlds.im running 40-1 with an immaculate non marked bore and clean piston crown and exhaust port.
just my opinion.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:12 PM
kinggeordie

good opion i think
Old 04-13-2006, 03:13 PM
8000ft

Well I noticed a bit of a cylinder base gasket leak (oil build up) so I tore it down today and guess what ...... there's already a single score through the chrome near the intake side.
I just don't get it, I was running 25:1 and there's no dirt to speak of in the engine. Rather upsetting, I wonder what's causing it? It still runs like it should, plenty pf power and compression. I talked it over with Shawn at O'Neill Bros and we came to the same conclusion...if it runs...run it till it dies. I guess I'm already starting my Christmas list...a 30.5 or whatever is the biggest at that time, a two speed and that's all for the moment however it is only April.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:25 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Did you clean the bottom end really good? After mine sucked dirt in my bottom end had huge clumps of it packed everywhere took alot of time getting it out....i used probably 5 cans of carb cleaner to get all the dirt out....then before putting it back together i poured some 2 cycle oil onto the crank...also assembled top end by coating the cylinder with 2 stroke oil also and the wrist pin bearing.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:49 PM
8000ft

Yep , I did the same thing that you did.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:58 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

I've never run non-synthetic oils either....even in my dirt bikes when they where new....i've always used synthetics...dont know why people insist synthetics dont protect the engines but i run a few plane motors at 100:1 mix and been flying them for almost 4 years now.