Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Is the HPI Baja 5b Fast?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Timmahh
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is the HPI Baja 5b Fast?

neither did mine, i adjusted the linkage first and then my epa and rates.
Timmahh
Old 06-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never even used the stock transmitter and I adjusted the throttle linkage when I installed the Nomadio Sensor transceiver.
I also removed the extension pipe before I even ran the Baja5B.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:15 PM
TurtleRacing

I am still using the stock radio & I get full throttle, but, I had to adjust to get it.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:38 PM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

The baja throttle linkage is set in "safe mode" stock out of the box. You will only get 1/2 throttle if you do not adjust it. If you adjust the trottle linkage correctly, you will not need to adjust the EPA. We adjusted the linkage immediately and took the pipe off. We also did some minor tuning to the motor and she does rip for a 23cc. Looking forward to putting in the 27cc when it arrives.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:49 PM
TurtleRacing

rcnutshobbies, I am very happy with the 27cc!! Awesome upgrade, I got the race-ported & the power is great!
Old 06-27-2006, 09:58 PM
aangelet

I'm coming up from 1/8 buggy. Although I've raced it on occassion, my real fun was in bashing it. I loved getting on the track with four or five of my friends and running a no holds barred race. I was going through about two gallons of 30% nitro a week. I usually run Novarossi P5s and RB Worlds engines and they weren't making it a month without a rebuild. I got really tired of the expense and so did my running buddies. My best running buddy picked up a Baja this past Sunday, and we've been putting it through it's paces.

All I can say is that it's TOUGH. We've had this thing flipping end over end more times than I'd care to count and it's still rolling straight, although the wheels are showing signs of stress.

I'd also like to comment about the exhaust thing. I can say unreservedly that removing the pipe from the muffler makes a night and day difference in the performance of the stock engine. The bottom end really woke up and you can hear that the engine is revving more freely and higher up top. Although we haven't clocked it, it doesn't take a lot of equipment to know that the buggy is doing things without the pipe that it could not when the pipe was in place.

We just got off of the phone with Oneall Brothers Racing and have made arrangements for a pipe and a stroker kit. We'll see what that does.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:38 AM
Capital Bulldogs

ORIGINAL: DerekBuono

I'm not sure who wants the calibration specs for our radar gun, but I think many people think that there's some secret code like in Contra to get unlimited lives.
I think I still remember that code....

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right. Left, Right, B, A, Start

And I think it only gave 30 lives

Old 06-30-2006, 01:16 PM
garygit

Removing the exhaust stinger on the stock 5B is a great idea but the exhaust exiting the stock muffler is melting the wing. Any suggestions? I have ordered a tuned pipe from Oneill brothers racing it will be here before 12:00 tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:35 PM
aangelet

Well, we took the Baja out to the local Academy Sports parking lot last night. We had two radar guns. After warming the engine up, we hot consistent 35mph runs, give or take a mph. After tuning the carb a bit, we got it up to 40 pretty easily. This is with the stock muffler. We have a jetpro coming in and can't wait to see what that does.

On a second note though, after taking a closer look at the jetpro, we decided to go ahead and order an X-Can too. We're going to run the X-Can for bashing, as the jetpro looks like it's going to get banged up pretty easily. I guess we'll see.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:07 PM
DerekBuono

ORIGINAL: Capital Bulldogs

ORIGINAL: DerekBuono

I'm not sure who wants the calibration specs for our radar gun, but I think many people think that there's some secret code like in Contra to get unlimited lives.
I think I still remember that code....

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right. Left, Right, B, A, Start

And I think it only gave 30 lives

I think you missed a few Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right. Left, Right, A,B,B, A, Start?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:34 AM
ryan@ddm

Closer.

But it was Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Select, Start.
Old 04-20-2023, 01:09 PM
^Horatio>

Is the Baja 5B fast? Yes.

My Baja 5B SS is 14 years old and has managed the following speeds on 17/57 gearing:

See the shake-down and speed run here:

Baja 5B SS Speed Run

https://youtu.be/QZSFsqL5K6k

Last edited by ^Horatio>; 04-20-2023 at 01:11 PM.