Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Is the HPI Baja 5b Fast?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 08:29 AM
Capital Bulldogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the HPI Baja 5b Fast?

I know its not meant to be a street racer, but I have always like my RC cars to be quick thus I usually end up switching out engines adding 2 speeds etc, and so far from the videos that I have seen and the comments I have read, it appears that Baja is slow. Can anyone estimate about how fast the stock baja is? 35MPH? And if I wanted more speed is there anything currently available to do upgrade outside getting a bigger motor?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Doohan

Default RE: Is the HPI Baja 5b Fast?

It's slow, and the gearing is too short.
I think it runs 17 pinion/ 57 spur....should be about a 20/22 to 48/46.
The CY 23cc is a pig, the best thing to do is stick a 26cc or 29cc Zenoah in it.
My FG Monster Truck does 90 KPH...about 55 MPH with a zenoah.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Timmahh
Banned

posted speeds are about 29mph out of the box, knock off the exhaust stinger and your at 39mph out of the box, beef up the engine/ stuffed crank, shaved head, oversized piston and 50s just around the corner. by pig do you mean weight wise or gas consumption wise, cuz im getting about an hr per tank. the thing is heavy, but my Bergonzoni is just as heavey if not a bit more.
Timmahh
Old 06-06-2006, 08:39 AM
TurtleRacing

Only 29mph out of the box. If you take the extension tube off, extreme RC says you get 10 more mph. Then there's the X-Can, there are also several tuned pipes in the works. That's it for the moment other then the fact there are endless options for the motor.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:25 AM
radio_controlled_mad

not sure removing the pipe off the baffle box adds 10mph,a top of the range tuned pipe wont even add that,,,and thats all the stock can is - a baffle box with a metal tube (not a stinger) to deflect the smoke/unburnt oil,,,,fg monster models have longer exit pipes on there stock cans (which are the same) and have yet to read a post about the increase or lack of peformance removing these give - it would be cheaper than spending £150 on a samba,,,i think its more to do with gearing
Old 06-06-2006, 09:33 AM
TurtleRacing

Well the info comes from somebody with a radar gun, so whatever. I also don't see why it's so hard to understand restricting exhaust flow slows it down? Why also does everything go back to FG?? Does the FG use the same size tube??
Old 06-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Timmahh
Banned

the speed increase by removing the stock stinger has been noted by many owners as viable already. not being contradictory here. this has been posted on and verified at the HPI BAJA forum buy current owners.
hth
Timmahh
Old 06-06-2006, 09:59 AM
radio_controlled_mad

when you remove the extension pipe it will make it louder which generaly gives you the impression your going fasters when your not,the stock can is all it is "stock can" there is no restriction to hold back the engine.it is not a stinger - stingers are used on top-end tuned pipes and run into the $$$hundreds,the can has a metal exit pipe not a stinger.if it was that simple to get a extra 10mph out any make of stock engine then it would be commen place...most if not all get there models from stock with the same baffle box and some with longer extension pipes

samba tuned pipe with "stinger" (stingers add to the engine not decrease it)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60764.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	473007  
Old 06-06-2006, 10:14 AM
TurtleRacing

Trust me Timmahh, he knows way more then any radar gun & that'll never change. I'm sure extreme Rc & everybody else that checked it was going on sound alone & there's no way a long piece of small diameter tubing can restrict a motor!
Old 06-06-2006, 11:18 AM
kinggeordie

yep totaly agree with rcm like a real exhaust remove a bit theres not alot of pressure sounds louder thats all - exhausts are normally made in a specific way even tuned pipes -remove bits and it would surely drop the performance
Old 06-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Capital Bulldogs
Can anyone estimate about how fast the stock baja is? 35MPH? And if I wanted more speed is there anything currently available to do upgrade outside getting a bigger motor?
If you want more speed, have the engine modified (just like any other engine) or change out the gearing if and when optional gears become available. If you really want speed, then go electric. For that matter H.A.R.M. has a brushless 1/5th scale, but if you run some 8000mh 5-cell lipos, be prepared to spend some big bucks.

ORIGINAL: Doohan
I think it runs 17 pinion/ 57 spur....should be about a 20/22 to 48/46.
I'd say the gearing needed depends on the track, just like any other R/C. In my opinion, the Baja5B had plenty of speed for the track I ran it on. And yes, the pinion is a 17T and the spur a 57T.

ORIGINAL: TurtleRacing
Trust me Timmahh, he knows way more then any radar gun & that'll never change. I'm sure extreme Rc & everybody else that checked it was going on sound alone & there's no way a long piece of small diameter tubing can restrict a motor!
I could probably hook up the tach on my Nomadio Sensor, but I figure that members would just then argue that my Sensor is off.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:39 AM
radio_controlled_mad

leaving the hpi v fg b/s aside...

removing the exit pipe on a stock can on say a fg monster which has the same engine,same can & same size exit pipe as the baja will not give a 10mph increase...thats all it is "a can",,,top end pipes only add 1bhp - porting adds 1bhp,removing a metal pipe does not add 1bhp

i think it has more to do with the hpi17/57 gearing compared with fg18/46 or 16/48 - could be wrong as im not sure how many teeth the hpi dif has.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:04 PM
TurtleRacing

Ok, the radar gun lies & so does the mag, I believe you!
Old 06-06-2006, 12:10 PM
rbgerrish

Xtreme RC Magazine Clocked the Baja at 39.8 mph stock.

I like mine!

Old 06-06-2006, 12:14 PM
kinggeordie

i think what we need are some dyno results
as far as the pipe is concerned if that was the case we would be doing it with the fg stock pipe why spent 100 -150 on a performance pipe when all you have to do is remove the pipe of the stock and hey bisto its a fully tuned performance exhaust
Old 06-06-2006, 12:15 PM
radio_controlled_mad

well theres a great tip for all those guys with a stock cy or zen which has the same stock can and exist pipe (the make of car is irelivent) just remove the exit pipe,10mph increase without spending a fortune on modding the engine....instant 25% power increase
Old 06-06-2006, 12:19 PM
kinggeordie

lol maybe if we remove the exhaust it might do 100mph
Old 06-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: radio_controlled_mad
well theres a great tip for all those guys with a stock cy or zen which has the same stock can and exist pipe (the make of car is irelivent) just remove the exit pipe,10mph increase without spending a fortune on modding the engine....
Well thanks for that tip. A little late though since I already did it.

ORIGINAL: rbgerrish
I like mine!
I like it too though I would have waited for the clear body. I also like the looks of the HPI Baja 5B better than the FG Marder. Consequently, I don't even care if the Baja5B is slower, especially since I realize that the Baja5B is a RTR and many RTRs are a little slower out of the box. I also figure that if I wanted to drop in a Zenoah, I could do that as well if I wanted to and the price difference wouldn't be all that great between the two R/Cs. Of course, a gearing change would probably be cheaper and easier--depending on the track since it is also not all about speed, but control as well as someone mentioned.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:23 PM
D0G
My Feedback: (1)

I like mine!
That body is WAY nicer then the Purple and yellow one I have been seeing. IMO
Old 06-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: D0G
That body is WAY nicer then the Purple and yellow one I have been seeing. IMO
The chassis may be purple, but not the body.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:30 PM
hellya

Show me the video including the numbers on the gun and the calibration of the radar gun

Tell the person driving not to hold back on the trigger finger for either vehicle

FG extensions pipie is the same tube as the HPI......no way your getting 10 mph faster removing it.....I dont even think the jet pro gives you 10 mph more
Old 06-06-2006, 12:32 PM
D0G
My Feedback: (1)

LoL, did you not see the IMO....doesnt that wave the right of anyone to bash me???
Haha, anyhow...you got what I meant didnt you..lol..
Old 06-06-2006, 12:33 PM
kinggeordie

ORIGINAL: hellya

Show me the video including the numbers on the gun and the calibration of the radar gun

Telll the person driving not to hold back on the trigger finger for either vehicle

FG exhaust is the same tube say the HPI......no way your getting 10 mph faster removing it.....I dont even think the jet pro give you 10 mph more
yep totaly agree if the gun is not calibrated it would be miles out - and belive me i used to work with many instruments that had to calibrated every time before we went out
Old 06-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Why don't you just try to find the magazines that have been mentioned? Myself, I haven't read them either but I'm also not arguing abut it either since if I want a fast R/C car, it is not going to be a large scale gasoline/oil mix R/C. Heck, I'm just trying to keep the peace in yet another petty disagreement.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: D0G
LoL, did you not see the IMO....doesnt that wave the right of anyone to bash me???
Haha, anyhow...you got what I meant didnt you..lol..
I didn't bash you. I also only got what I think you may have meant. And on this forum of petty bickering, it appears that everyone must have a photo and a sworn affidavit to believe anything that anyone else writes or posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.