Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

limited slip diff or locked diff? or..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.
View Poll Results: A poll
0%
LSD
80.95%
OTHER (mods, diff oil etc)
19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

limited slip diff or locked diff? or..

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 07:32 PM
KamikazeParanoia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default limited slip diff or locked diff? or..

im beginning to see why people change the stock diff, it certainly likes to spin one wheel and stay put! [&:] is it possible to put some heavy heavy diff oil in there or do i need a new diff? limited slip or locked? what are the advantages / disadvantages of each option? is the LSD worth the extra money?

i will be running road wheels onroad or monster wheels offroad mostly (selling the marder beetle wheels)

Thanks
Old 08-05-2006, 05:43 AM
Automan

Default RE: limited slip diff or locked diff? or..

Whatever you do, DONT get a locked diff. First jump and bye bye drivechain [] Locked diff's are for slow moving machines that tackle real hard terrain, like rock crawlers and trial trucks.

You could like many use a thicker oil inside the stock diff, that works if you get the right oil/grease liquid in there. Another good choice is the adjustable diff from fg, that come as a kit to and so you can use your gears inside your stock diff, and by that it's not to expensive and works great... you just have to either raise the diff-holder assembly, or make a bigger hole in the bottom for that adj diff to fit. Try to put thicker oil in that stock first and see how that goes.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:10 PM
carpy100

dont bother with a lsd. buy yourself a 4 shoe race clutch instead for better traction and control
Old 08-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Mouton

A new clutch will not help at all with diff problems...

I second Automan's praise for the FG 8485/1 conversion kit. Excellent value for money!
Old 08-06-2006, 02:08 PM
carpy100

he's having traction problems not diff problems.
for off road a lsd is no real advantage. infact it can be a big disadvantage and most people end up running them ultra loose, defeating the object of having one.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:45 PM
jasrx

ORIGINAL: carpy100

dont bother with a lsd. buy yourself a 4 shoe race clutch instead for better traction and control
how is a 4 shoe race clutch going to stop his diff center from single wheel spinning on him.?
id try using thicker oil/ grease before he go`s and buys a new clutch to fix his diff from single wheel spinning .
Old 08-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Mouton

ORIGINAL: carpy100

he's having traction problems not diff problems.
for off road a lsd is no real advantage. infact it can be a big disadvantage and most people end up running them ultra loose, defeating the object of having one.
I run my lsd very stiff. So do the people I drive with. And yes, we drive off road and that is the best solution to the "one spinning wheel problem" on these cars.

He's having traction problems caused by a diff problem. That is the diff being too loose.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:30 PM
mud slinger

Personaly i would start by looking at my shock setup first to prevent the inner wheel lifting when cornering, Carpy's correct about an LSD giving no advantage in off road, yes i run an LSD myself but its modded to give less bite when a wheel does lift and is run wide open to give minimum locking effect. The more locking effect you have the more chance you have or spinning out in the corner !!!

Carpy is also correct about an adjustable clutch making the car more responsive, the clutch will bite at a higher RPM meaning that the car will be more controlable in the turns and will be faster out of the corners as when the clutch bites you will be in the engines power band and have more drive out of the bend. If you fit a 4 shoe addjustable clutch you can set 2 of the shoes to engage at a slighty lower RPM (say 500 RPM) than the other 2 giving you a much smoother power delivery, less load on the drive train, and less wheel spin.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Automan

What's it called.... multiple personalities ? [sm=lol.gif]

KamikazeParanoia, you can pm me or send a mail if you still have problems.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:32 PM
mud slinger

What's it called.... multiple personalities ?
Perhaps you would like to give a reason to your sarcasm
Old 08-07-2006, 11:20 PM
KamikazeParanoia

now now children play nice
Old 08-08-2006, 12:32 AM
ScooterTrash

What is the part # for a LSD Pre assambled with the SS cover & steel gears, where you just R & R it all at one time & where do you get it from in the USA?[sm=confused.gif] For the FG MT5 Bigfoot.Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45667.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	503887  
Old 08-08-2006, 02:10 PM
JRexA

The LSD diff FG Pn# 8501/5 (4 way) is not designed to be used together with the aftermarket reinforced alu or SS diff tubes, as it has an adjustment ring on the diff tube.

You need the standard unadjustable diff, FG# 8483/5 in order to use any of the reinforced diff tubes that I know of. (Hobbythek[alu], Elcon[ss] and Top-Scale Tuning[ss])

You CAN replace the adjustable outer tube with one of the reinforced ones, but I guess that then most of the locking effect will be gone.