Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Problem with tuned cable brakes!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Problem with tuned cable brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 06:27 AM
borley1863

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with tuned cable brakes!

Hi, i have been following the install instructuins to the letter, i cannot for the love of me get the steel bushings into the alloy capillers should they push right in or are they meant to be outside the capiler? because if they are outside the capiler the guiding plate can`t be tightened flush against the capiler. PLease help.
Thanks
Guy
Old 02-25-2007, 06:42 AM
borley1863

Default RE: Problem with tuned cable brakes!

Ive` tried with pliers to get the bushings, doesn`t work it`s like the hole in the capilers are too small or the bushings are to big, and its on both brakes! anyone else had this problem, if you try forcing the bush by tightening the guide plate it just starts bending the plate as the bush doesn`t go in.
THanks
Guy

Old 02-25-2007, 09:52 AM
borley1863

ANybody help! how easy was it for you to push the bushes in? these were either machined wrong or whoever packed it put bushes from a different set.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:36 AM
IONIC-M

You are doing it right. That is where the bushing is on my tuned disk brakes. That I dont use. If the bushing fits everything else just drill the hole next size bigger. But be care full and dont make it to big.....
Old 02-25-2007, 10:59 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

Maybe try it with a reamer or file first. You don't want it to betoo loose. The bushiong should slid in easily. Maybe try sandingthe bushing a bit. If you had some calipers you could compare the two side.

Be Patient though, the brakes are well worth it!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:59 AM
borley1863

Thanks for the reply, i just wanted confirmation which have had done. So i won`t risk drilling i`ll return them for a new set and ask them to put the bushings in 1st before they send them so i know they are not a bad batch.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:20 PM
sb racing

The bushes will need to be pressed into the caliper, They are a tight fit, I use the fg ball joint tool to press them in. No drilling is required.

I hope this helps
Old 02-25-2007, 01:57 PM
borley1863

Tanks for the help, i went with slightly sanding them with a tool similar to a dremel then putting oil in the hole to lubricate it then hard tap with a hammer on top of an allen key and they are in phew! Wish they would state in the instructions how difficult it is to get these bushes in, at least with ball joints you can use pliers because it`s metal going into plastic, but meteal into metal!
ANyway done now thanks again.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:54 PM
borley1863

Back again with anothr problem, as you can see in the picture on the tuned brake set you get a brass threaded part to the cable outer case to screw into the capiler and on the standard brakes you don`t. The thing is because you don`t get those on the standard disc brakes your steering isn`t limited but as you can see by the picture this part hits my upper arms so i wont be able to steer!
Is there away round this without buying the ally hubs, because i know if you have ally hubs you install the brakes at the back so that part wouldn`t hit the upper arms.
But when i orderd these from Rossendale models they said you could install the tuned cable brakes on the FGMTs plastic hubs but perhaps they didn`t relise the uppers would prevent steering as most people buy the standard brakes for the FGMT or have ally hubs.
Any help please.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:38 PM
radio_controlled_mad

im positive theres two versions of the tuning brakes,one for the buggys the other for monster models - not sure the difference,as for alloy hubs - the callipers mount on the front also
Old 02-25-2007, 05:42 PM
borley1863

In the instructions that i got with it the capilers attatch to the back of the alloy hubs. Don`t think there are another set but looking in the FG catalogue and closer at the description is says they are for FG 1:5 scale and trucks doesn`t say MOnster where the brakes for the rear it actualy says monster.
Anyone on here got front cable brakes on plastic hubs? its confused me now what canle brakes i should have.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:55 PM
radio_controlled_mad

the plastic uprights i have had mount at the front as does the alloy ones i have now,there is def two version of cables maybe you have the buggy type?? - dif part no's - and the only front hubs i have known to mount at the back is the on-road ones

http://www.rossendalemodels.co.uk/in...ct&id_prd=1068

http://www.rossendalemodels.co.uk/in...ct&id_prd=1066

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98607.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	629692  
Old 02-25-2007, 05:55 PM
borley1863

I found the number for the standard ones for MT its 6250/3, but i would like tuned brakes for it, also what do you think the chances are of Rossendale models taking the brakes back even though the packet has been opened and put on the truck, not used though they only arrived yesterday.
Thanks
Guy
Thanks mad, looks like i can only use the tuned if i buy the ally front hubs and buy the cables from the MT set as i think they are longer cables because they are a different numbers from the tuned set and you have to feed them round the shocks.The tuned cables wouldn`t reach i have a pdf file for he MT install cable brakes and it deffintly looks a longer cable it even says when you type it in rossendales part number that its a rear brake cable so they must be longer.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:52 PM
borley1863

I have come to the conclusion today after a lot of searching and reading that you can`t fit cable brakes to the front of the FGMT unless the capilers are at the back on alloy hubs.
Such a pain, as the tuned ones i got which rossendale said were univeral show you a picture on plastic or alloy hubs but only on cars with 2 shocks at the front but when i downloaded the instructions for the standard brakes which are specificaly for the MT it says you have to have the alloy hubs.
Seems weird as there are shops on ebay selling the front tuned brakes for the MT stating that they can be fitted on plastic or alloy, seems weird that no one else has complained.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:52 PM
bigger the better

Deleted
Old 02-26-2007, 12:08 AM
borley1863

Thanks bigger, so if i get the alloy hubs i should be able to use the tuned discs as they are basicly the same but will have to get longer cables?
THnaks
Guy
Old 02-26-2007, 06:09 AM
Krets

About the bushings. I had the same problem as you had, i didn't know how to get them in.
Then i decided to try to prey them in. And thats how i did it.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:10 AM
borley1863

Hi Krets, yeah looks like i have got to do it all again as they have said i can exchange the brakes for the proper MT tuned brakes and i have bought the alloy hubs. I think there was a cheaper option though because in the catalogue there is a longer alloy cable holder, which i think would bring the brake cable just above the top wishbone. Oh well too late now.
I would like to thank everyone for their help and replies.
Guy
Old 02-26-2007, 08:44 AM
bigger the better

Deleted
Old 02-26-2007, 10:13 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

Research is very important. Most shops know but not everything. Having access to the catalogue is very valuable. I have them on my pc and a hard copy of the 2002 and 2004.

There are a few different cable brakes and the tunning is worth getting with the extra aluminum, better disc, bearing and cable. The short arm is use in the on-roads, otherwsie the rims would hit. The larger arm is a must and should clear the arm BUT the assembly may still hit the arm. The alloy upright which mount them in the rear is a good upgrade anyway and in time the plastic one would eventually get stripped.

The Leopard has similar issues which is why Elcon has uprights specifically made which still mounts the brakes in the front.

Hope this helps!!
Old 02-27-2007, 01:34 PM
jasrx

i run the tuning brakes on my mt with elcons alloy front uprights , works great .
Old 02-27-2007, 05:55 PM
wayneuk

U CAN JUST PURCHASE THE LARGER ALLOY OR PLASTIC PEICE THAT HOLDS THE BOWDEN CABLE THIS WILL SORT YOUR PROBLEM!!