Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Advice needed

Old 05-14-2007, 06:30 AM
ika

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed

Hi,
I have E-Maxx and hate charging batteries.
So I decided to go for Fuel Engine Truck.
I am thinking about Revo or MCD 4x4 Truck. But I like reverce.
As I know Nitro is more dirty than GAS.
Please advice for wich to go.
Waiting replayes from owners of both class.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:03 AM
help-me

Default RE: Advice needed

i have two nitro cars (hpi savage and mt2) and there great but i would like to get a petrol one as the fuel is so much cheaper and easer to get and you get a lot longer run time with the petrol ones. Also you dont have to carry so much as the pull start is all ready on the motor no glow igniter or roto start to carry about. they both have advantages and disadvantages i would say petrol if your willing to spend more to start with but you will save in the long run.

phil
Old 05-14-2007, 09:10 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Nitro is expensive and a pain in the neck! Fuel is $25/gallon while 2-stroke mix and gas is about $4.00/gallon and can be had at any small engine shop and gas station.

By the time you go through 12 - 16 gallons of nitro fuel you will be at a break-even point between the kit cost of a Revo versus a Baja or Firehammer (at $900 - $1000). The MCD goes for about $1500 and you will need a radio so your break-even period would be longer.

You will also not be rebuilding engines after every X gallons of fuel. You may need a $4 head gasket and a $4 pistion ring once or twice a year but that is about it.

You will also not be tuning your engine during EVERY run. These gas engines are 'set and forget' for setup. They also start from cold in 4 - 5 pulls just like your weedeater or leaf blower. Try that with nitro consistently.

Runtime for a Revo is about 10 minutes. A gasser will run for 45 - 60 minutes on a tank of fuel. HPI recently drove a Baja 5B on a 120 mile off-road Baja racing course from Barstow, CA to Las Vegas, NV in less than 6 hours on 1.1 gallons of fuel. They had to stop for refueling every 45 - 60 minutes and they broke a couple of minor parts. Average speed was 25 MPH and top speed was 45 MPH. There is no way a nitro rig could run 120 miles straight only stopping for refueling.

You will have a hard time finding reverse in large scale. I rarely miss reverse because I can plow through a lot more in large scale Most here don't consider not having reverse as a big problem with gassers.

It's hard to go wrong with a gasser.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:18 AM
help-me

i second his opion
Old 05-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Hutch-e-bee

I third it. [8D]
Old 05-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Bratch96

I would love to have reverse in my FG MT. But I really don't need it. I would love to see a gasser with reverse.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Bratch96

Forgive my ignorance, but can't you put a nitro engine into an e-maxx?
Old 05-14-2007, 08:57 PM
TheFgMan01

Hey guy's werent they talking about having a reverse on the new 1/5 scale Gladiator??? IKA, The Gladiator looks like a HUGE Savage but 2 stroke so you should like that one! theres pics on this site in the forums you should take a look and see when it comes out. but i think they were talking about putting a reverse in that one. that will be the very first gasser with reverse thats for sure.. plus its also 4x4. check it out