Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

cheap oil vs expensive oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:26 PM
superstrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap oil vs expensive oil

im wandering how many use just the lil 3-4oz bottles of oil from there local hardware store and who use the $10 quart size bottle of supposedly better brand name stuff?? is there a diff? ive always bought the cheap $1-2 small bottles of synthetic you mix with a gallon of gas to get 40-1, im just curious if i get some better oil or try some brand name stuff will i really see a diff?? this is for a firehammer MT incase you wanted to know, K&N and aftermarket pipe
Old 05-30-2007, 09:32 PM
TheFgMan01

Default RE: cheap oil vs expensive oil

Well some people consider the oil i use cheap. i use zenoah syntech and i havent had any problem. i think its just as good as the high end stuff out there like klots or amsoil... you may not want the little bottles of oil from the hardware store since they may be designed for way reving weed wacker motors.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Bratch96

I use the 8 oz bottles of Poulan synthetic 2 stroke oil from wal-mart for about $1.75. I've ran about four gallons or more through it now and I think this oil is just fine.
I run 25:1 mix and I have the it tuned a little on the rich side to be safe.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Dave ESPI

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5847565/tm.htm

you really get what you pay for, but using lowergrade oil runs risk of break down, and shortened motor life.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:38 AM
superstrat

i see alot of people run diff ratios too, what seems to be the best in these motors? 40:1, 50:1, 32:1,25:1 ???
Old 05-31-2007, 09:51 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Stick with 25:1 ratio. That is what Zenoah and Mozler Mowery Racing (FG distributor) recommend. I'd bet DDM also recommends 25:1.

I have been running Yamaha non-synthetic oil (not the marine type) for a while. I got 16 ounces for $8 at a bike shop. That is comparable in price to getting 3.2 ounce bottles for $1.75 and I'd like to think Yamaha knows how to make (or at least specify to a maker) good 2-stroke oil.

I have also run Maxima 927. It's a little more expensive but has some Castor content which is supposed to be good. It's comparable in price.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Slammed

Firehammer says 40:1

SPECIFICATIONS
Stock Number: DTXD97**
Length: 28.1 in (715 mm)
Width: 16.5 in (420 mm)
Wheelbase: 18.5 in (470 mm)
Front Track: 12.8 in (325 mm)
Rear Track: 14.1 in (360 mm)
Ready-To-Run Weight: 18.78 lb (8518 g)
Engine: DTX G23 cc (included)
Gasoline/Oil Mix: 40:1
Gear Ratio: 7.67:1
Requires: gasoline, 2-cycle oil, 8 "AA" batteries
Old 06-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Earth Surfer

Lower grade oils probably work OK. One would have to do some long term tresting to see if engine wear is actually more, but I bet it would be. The "rule of thumb" is (beside the old law where it was legal to beat your wife, if the stick was no bigger in diameter than your thumb) the more RPM the engine makes, the more oil you need. IMO, I think it is insane to run 40:1 on a engine that can rev to about 17 or 18 grand. Those piston speeds are very fast, and the ring probably won't seal to the cylinder wall as well as 28 or 25:1. I would expect more engine wear at higher mix ratios, and may be less protection from seizures on the Zen and Zen type engines.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:07 AM
PAPE

I dont know what to belive any more but I use coleman at 1:40 with any brand name 2stroke oil, no expensive stuff like klotz, just the regulars, this is on the zenohas, I use 93 oct on my gas planes with the regular oils mixed at 1:40 also and I have never had a problem.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:29 AM
jimbo1890

Here is something I posted in 2005 and they may have since brought out a later/ higher standard oil since but the message is still relivant.

"most oils sold in first world countries meet certain standards which are printed on the container. good 4stroke oil s comply with the API standard ie API -SG is a cheap oil but you know it conforms to a minimum standard they go as high as API -SJ which is the latest standard I have seen for 4stroke there may be higher.

as for 2stroke which is what we are interested in the standard is the JASO standard which comes in 3 main categories which are JASO-FA for mowers/brushcutters etc which is the lowest standard I'd touch but not for my ROBIN OR CY/ZENOAH then there is JASO-FB higher standard therefore better quality and JASO-FC which is top of the list.
within JASO-FC I have seen a subcategory which is JASO-M340, JASO-M343 and JASO-M345 either of these three are close to the top of the tree for 2stroke performance oils.

These ratings will be printed on the container.

I use CASTROL TTS oil which has a JASO-FC-M345 classification.

Any JASO-FC class oil will be perfect for a CY/ZENOAH engine.

If you're still unsure the internet is a wealth of info do a search on 2stroke oil or jaso fc

this is my own opinion and probably not worth the bandwidth

p.s. just because the container says quote" SUITABLE FOR OIL INJECTION AND PREMIX LUBRICATION, UPTO A FUEL: OIL RATIO OF 50:1"endquote
does not mean 50:1 is OK ZENOAH recomends 25:1 so I use 25:1 who cares if it spits oil out the pipe.

hope this helps
If the oil you are using doesn't have this rating printed on the container, it's probably dodgy stuff that did not pass certification so tip it out and get some that does.

just my opinion and it's just your engine.[8D]

JIMBO.