Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

New screws sticking out on underside of chasis plate

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New screws sticking out on underside of chasis plate

Old 09-05-2007, 03:19 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New screws sticking out on underside of chasis plate

I replaced all my screws with Hexcrews screws. The heads of the flat-head screws are slightly larger than stock and do not countersink into the holes like the old screws. They are sticking out of the hole a small amount on the underside of the chasis. I am concerned about the screw heads taking damage as my chasis plate is pretty badly scuffed and gouged.

I am thinking about enlarging the countersinks for these holes so the screw heads will sink into the holes better.

Anybody ever have to enlarge countersink holes in the chasis plate?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Dave ESPI

Default RE: New screws sticking out on underside of chasis plate

Yeah, Back in the day I had to do this all the time on myAssociated RC-10 gold pans. Just use a good quality bit, and be carefull to not bite too deeply into it. Use a large drill bit and don't taper in the entire size of the tip, just use most of it. If you have one that is kind of dull, it will not want to grab as much and dig right in and open up the hole too deeply.

take your time and dont use too much pressure or else that drill bit will go through. If possible use a drill press.

HTH.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:09 AM
Bratch96

I've been running mine with allen heads that stick down about a quarter of an inch, and I've not had any problems with it.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:43 AM
jimbo1890

Why not just buy a countersinking bit? That way you get countersunk holes that match the taper of the screws.

Jimbo.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:11 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

I do have countersink bits and a drill press. I'm pretty sure the countersink bits are for wood boring so I don't know what to expect on the aluminum chasis plate. Maybe the wood bits will be dull enough to do a little countersinking without digging in too bad.

Maybe I will try one hole with the countersink bit on my drill press and see what I get.

Thanks for the suggestions.