Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

best pipe for HPI Baja

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 03:13 AM
Hairballusmaximus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best pipe for HPI Baja

Been looking for a while and every mfg says theirs is best/fastest but I would like to know the opinions of some who actually have tried some of these pipes. Also, for example the Jetpro looks like it would be vulnerable to damage in a wipe out and what changes in the tune are required? starting points etc. What pipes make torque or hp and rpm?Any info would be greatly appreciated! Hairball
Old 11-30-2007, 03:22 AM
MONAROMAN

Default RE: best pipe for HPI Baja

Love my dominator, torque to boot and the top end isn't too shabby. Jetpro is more of a top end pipe, x-can doesn't rate a mention for me, HPI pipe looks the goods but won't last long. Dominator all the way
Old 11-30-2007, 03:25 AM
ttoks

two toher notable mentions would be the mielke and DOM side pipe once it's reslised.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:28 AM
Hairballusmaximus

How is it on the car? Can it be damaged in a light wipeout or will it take a wreck that generates 100+ dollars in damage to other parts also. Hairball
Old 11-30-2007, 03:31 AM
Hairballusmaximus

I am in california where would I find info/place to purchase Mielke or Dom sidepipe? is the Dom sidepipe the Dominator Monaroman is referring to? Also what tuning is required? stock or did you have to richen it, drill out/replace jets etc? Hairball
Old 11-30-2007, 03:59 AM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: MONAROMAN

Love my dominator, torque to boot and the top end isn't too shabby. Jetpro is more of a top end pipe, x-can doesn't rate a mention for me, HPI pipe looks the goods but won't last long. Dominator all the way
hey i have the hpi pipe and think its pretty good , its all protected in the chassis. Why would you say it wont last long?
Old 11-30-2007, 04:25 AM
hathi
Banned

GBE pipes will be killer, they offer 2 diffrent pipes! What are you looking for bottom end or top end? Protection? Side mount pipes are the way to go for a back heavy buggy to start out with, why hand an extra 2lbs off the back if you dont have to! The GBE pipe will also have a flex joint so in case you end up stuffing it hard it will not damage your expensive purchase(the motor)

No I have not run one yet, but know of the history of this company
Old 11-30-2007, 06:10 AM
Hairballusmaximus

Hadnt actually thought about a low end vs peaky pipes. I did not know they actually made both types petty much thought they were all basically top end pipes with minor increases in low end. I need to think about this as far as type of running I'll be doing and gearing. Thanx for the heads up. Hairball
Old 11-30-2007, 07:50 AM
Osirisf16

ORIGINAL: MONAROMAN

, HPI pipe looks the goods but won't last long.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN???[]
Old 11-30-2007, 09:56 AM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree.. The HPI pipe is very well protected and is a good...not great pipe.. it is more of a compromise between low and high end.. I have had mine for a while and have run it pretty hard with non of the problems that some of you guys are referring to.. My pipe hasn't melted after running for 30 minutes at WOT most of the time.. Not even close.. The fit it good, easy to adjust to the roll cage and much lighter than the larger pipes.. hasn't effected the balance of the baja at all.. I like the performance of the larger tuned pipes, but not the protection.. Don't need the horror stories.. I run my baja with a friend who has the identical setup that I have, so neither of us feel we are missing anything.... The only cosmetic damage to my HPI pipe came during shipping.. thats how protected it is..
Old 11-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Osirisf16

Yeah i agree. The other pipes melt the cage roll behind the baja. That's the reason why i will not buy other pipes except the HPI pipe
Old 11-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the mielke side pipe, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm told it's also one of those good 'medium' pipes, better bottom, better top, but not crazy on either.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:24 AM
cenracer1

The only other drawback is its harder to do wheelies with the hpi pipe.. being that it smaller and much lighter than the other pipes, it not hanging 2-3 pounds off the back of the baja.. Not a big deal as the baja wasn't built for that anyway.. jumping is better, flies more level..IMO
Old 11-30-2007, 11:21 AM
T I G

The HPI pipe seems out of place. It reminds me of a Nitro pipe, not a Tuned Gasser pipe.
Just my honest opinion.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:13 PM
hathi
Banned

I love the hpi pipe as well, huge increase over stock. Look at the price!
Old 11-30-2007, 04:12 PM
omra

DDM Dominator also.Awsome pipe.goes extrememly well.No engine mods or tuning carried out.I have ran it straight out of the box from manufactures settings.P.s itmakes cooooool sound!
Old 11-30-2007, 04:43 PM
K-Spindle

See this is where some dyno and or race data would help not only for bashers but for racers.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:54 PM
MONAROMAN

I don't own an HPI pipe but have seen quite a few that end up trashed really quickly - any pipe with instances of melting is not one I'm gonna throw my hard earned cash at, I guess it comes down to how you use your car, IMO the pipe is weak and the two piece design is less than perfect - I have seen one instance where one of the clips that hold it together ended up nestled under the piston after a decent crash... ruined engine! The dom I refer to is the standard dominator that mounts under the rear rollbars. The mielke is meant to be a good pipe but I've never seen one on a baja
Old 11-30-2007, 05:15 PM
hathi
Banned

wow my tranny in my dodge went on me once... never buy a dodge!

I would prefer the pipe to break then my motor, the 2 peace design pipes are great... they allow a for some give... I would have liked to see the outcome of that crash with a dom on it... my guess you would have needed a new pipe and motor
Old 11-30-2007, 06:47 PM
T I G

Dom is a nice pipe, unfortunately I had fitment issues. I ended up with a V3 w/silencer. I have rumbled and tumbled with the best of them with minor damage, a couple scratches and a torn coupler, no dents. I have seen plenty of Dom users do the same. I've seen JPs bent almost in half. I have never heard anyone complain about there motors getting trashed from a crash that bent there pipe.
More of my 2 cents
Old 11-30-2007, 06:49 PM
cenracer1

I've only seen one photo of a melted HPI pipe.. The photo was shown around the same time the pipe was released.. It was hard to tell from the photo what pipe it really was and if it was melted from running.. I run my baja in large fields WOT for quite a while and my pipe is fine...
As for the clip under the piston... I have serious doubts.. the clip is on the outside of the pipe on the top of the exhaust.. I doubt Cris Angel could get on to appear in there... JMO
Old 11-30-2007, 07:54 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: hathi

I love the hpi pipe as well, huge increase over stock. Look at the price!

I agree..I also have the HPI pipe and for 89.00 you cannot go wrong.....

http://www.hostilehobby.com/product_...oducts_id=1331

Old 11-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Briansshop

ORIGINAL: T I G

Dom is a nice pipe, unfortunately I had fitment issues. I ended up with a V3 w/silencer. I have rumbled and tumbled with the best of them with minor damage, a couple scratches and a torn coupler, no dents. I have seen plenty of Dom users do the same. I've seen JPs bent almost in half. I have never heard anyone complain about there motors getting trashed from a crash that bent there pipe.
More of my 2 cents
T I G , how does the V3 compare to the Dom as far as build quality,fit and noise level? That's where I have a prob w/my Dom.Mostly THE NOISE!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:05 PM
splcrazy

heyif ya worried about the two piece section of the hpi pipe stuffing up , you can always alloy tig weld it in place for ever
Old 12-01-2007, 01:31 AM
mopar jake

i run a jetprov3 with silencer it has killer top end it sounds like it shifts into second gear when the motor gets on the pipe is pretty durable. i love this pipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.