Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

TGN Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Monsterman--HBF
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TGN Pipe

Does anyone have a picture of this pipe mounted on their Baja? If so can ya post some pictures, side view, top view, rear view??

Thanks
Old 01-16-2008, 08:53 PM
splcrazy

Default RE: TGN Pipe

go on davesmotors.com and look up their rc cars exhausts and find the tgn pipe then click on it and it will show a pic of that pipe mounted on a baja5b
Old 01-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Monsterman--HBF

Already been there wanted some more views of the pipe

Thanks
Old 01-16-2008, 10:42 PM
krayziedxc
My Feedback: (9)

Old 01-17-2008, 01:43 AM
splcrazy

lol that thing is huge and ugly and would bend sideways in a roll over or something lol, BUT ive seen them also been chromed and look pretty good but as i said before this pipe will not last long .
Old 01-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

Actually the pipe will be fine in a rollover, it'll just break the mounting point off your engine case...
Old 04-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Dirt_hawg

Huh?????????It has a mount on the bottom of the chassis...If anything breaks it will be the bracket..Or a huge dent in the pipe.Or the pipe scraping the ground ..But I havent seen any reviews of anything breaking.If needed Ill modify.Ive ordered one and Ill have pics and a review.........
Old 04-13-2008, 03:34 AM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

Oh boy, you should have listened. Because the pipe goes up over the rollbar it becomes very vulnerable to impact. Its also heaviest pipe out there weighing twice as much as most steel aftermarket pipes at over 1KG including its mounting hardware. Your adding about 10% to your vehilces mass with that pipe and will definatly contribute to any impact force as this guy found out:

as pipes go its a pretty stupid design.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:50 AM
Monsterman--HBF

Ouch LW that had to hurt!! I wont be getting that Pipe its kinda ugly to me now anyway dont know what I was thinking. Going to save my $$ and pick up the new Jet Pro Dual Bleed Pipe as soon as I can get my hands on it

Chris
Old 04-13-2008, 04:07 AM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

Yeah thats another oddball design. You best wait for Jimmty4fingers to finish the review on that because it looks like a lemon to me.

I don't like the fact JetPro still arn't mounting them with some sort of vibration isolation, there's plenty of people out there who have had their pipe's mounting bracket fail due to that. DDM have learned with their rear mount dominator and included it with their side mount and GBE just did this straight off the bat. Whats a rubber vibration isolator cost anyway $2? and pennies for a company buying them in bulk...
Old 04-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Dirt_hawg

ORIGINAL: Lunar Wolf

Oh boy, you should have listened. Because the pipe goes up over the rollbar it becomes very vulnerable to impact. Its also heaviest pipe out there weighing twice as much as most steel aftermarket pipes at over 1KG including its mounting hardware. Your adding about 10% to your vehilces mass with that pipe and will definatly contribute to any impact force as this guy found out:

as pipes go its a pretty stupid design.
Im glad you showed me this..I cancelled my order.I think ill spend a little more and get a GBE sidebleed.
Thanks
Old 04-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

Here to serve my friend. If your in the desert playing in the soft powder sand you probably wouldn't have a problem with the TGN, but anywhere resembling firm ground and your playing the odds.

The GBE pipes are definatly worth the money, both superior in performance, design & quality to anything else on the market at the moment, you won't be disappointed (well till you get the bill anyway).
Old 04-14-2008, 07:11 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Lunar Wolf

Here to serve my friend. If your in the desert playing in the soft powder sand you probably wouldn''t have a problem with the TGN, but anywhere resembling firm ground and your playing the odds.

The GBE pipes are definatly worth the money, both superior in performance, design & quality to anything else on the market at the moment, you won''t be disappointed (well till you get the bill anyway).
A vibration mount won''t stop the pipe from beaking the cylinder. It''s still a one piece pipe and still will stress the cylinder when hit right. The GBE pipe may be under the cage so it isn''t as impacted when it flips but the pipe will still get hit and always has the chance of breaking the cylinder. Vibration mounts are just what they are called, for vibration not for impact, impact mounts are spings usually, a two piece design with a seperate header then the pipe held on via springs, thats a impact mount, which all side mount pipes should have since they are prone to impacts. Take a good look at a motocross pipe once, you''ll notice at least 5 vibration mounts then the expansion chamber is mounted to the header pipe with a series of springs, that is done so if you land short on a jump and case the bike the expansion chamber pops off the header pipe with no damage to the cylinder. Comparing these side mount pipes and making false claims that the GBE cannot break is BS, that pipe can be broken and will break the cylinder as easy as any other 1 piece pipe will. Them pictures of that TGN pipe issue are a direct slam onto the pipe thats what caused that, not a simple roll over, drop your baja with the GBE onto the pipe and you''ll get the same results or slam it the same way. Anyone running a 1 piece tuned pipe should know that this can occur to ANY 1 piece pipe if it''s impacted right. Vibration mounts will not stop that from happening.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Dirt_hawg

Well I dont see anybody complaining about a GBE breaking flange mounts..Actually Ive never seen anything negative about a GBE!!!!![:-]
Old 04-14-2008, 09:44 PM
badz

ORIGINAL: Dirt_hawg

Well I dont see anybody complaining about a GBE breaking flange mounts..Actually Ive never seen anything negative about a GBE!!!!![:-]
That''s cause a lot aren''t running it. there is loads of people running the tgn pipe, one person had one break a cylinder. Like I said any 1 piece pipe will do the same thing if hit right. GBE ain''t no different. just more costly.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:56 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: badz

ORIGINAL: Dirt_hawg

That''''s cause a lot aren''''t running it. there is loads of people running the tgn pipe, one person had one break a cylinder. Like I said any 1 piece pipe will do the same thing if hit right. GBE ain''''t no different. just more costly.

+1
Old 04-15-2008, 02:30 AM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

Badz you've miss read, i never claimed the vibration isolation (VI) mounts would save the engine case in an impact, i said it would prevent the pipes own mounting brackets from breaking off from metal fatigue, like these two:

(JP3)

(Rear Dom welded back up)

VI can help prevent pipe damage as well by allowing it some 'give' in an impact. I was on some excessivly rough terrain the other week, too rough really for any RC and broke both front arms, the front of the pipe also contacted the ground, but since the front mount was flexable it allowed the pipe to just rotate about 30deg (being two parts), and the VI was able to stretch without breaking I have no doubt that if the front mount was solid i'd be looking at a broken stinger. That was the first impact that even got close to damaging the pipe and i've been bashing it since January and i know guys who've been bashing it longer, i've had countless rolls, flips and poor attempts at jumps - and still not a scratch! Not just me either, look around this pipe has already been taken up by most of the hardcore bashers the kind of guys that can afford to lose a pipe or two and bash like it, everyone who actually owns one is having a good time with it, loads of big jump videos on youtube as well so go have a look.

Although the rest of the pipe is fairly rigid, it is still able to flex a fair bit in either direction which will help with impacts and lessen the blow to the engine body, but if it was solidly mounted at both ends an impact would have no where else to go but to break the next weakest link.

I do agree that any 1pc pipe 'could' do the same as the TGN if hit right, thats why the pipes design needs to keep it out of harms way - TGN didn't do this choosing to have it come up over the roll cage, thats why their calling it a 'Race' pipe, because its not suitable for bashing which in itself is a joke because of its weight and narrow powerband. Everyone else has seen sence and managed to keep their sidemounts below the roof line. Fact is for the rest of the side mounts, getting a solid strike during a T-Bone by another car is your only concern - and if your not racing its pretty unlikely to happen - either that or jumping and somehow flying sidways through the air into a flag pole - those are the only two ways to hurt a GBE.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:23 PM
badz

I''m well aware of the brackets breaking on the rear mount pipes, even though I was told by ddm it has only happend to myself, i''ve seen hundreds with the same issue. I''ve never had a jetpro''s break but then again both my jetpro pipes line up so well they aren''t stressed.

I''d honestly like to see a high quality 2 piece pipe design not a cheap soda can pipe like the hpi one, I''m tired of the 1 piece ones myself they are a risk everytime ya run the buggy.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:08 AM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

I hear ya Badz, you know if your really wanted to you could easily further seperate the two halves of the GBE pipe, i toyed with doing this myself and still might. Just hack a bit more off the header where it slides into the main pipe body and join them with similar thick hi-temp silicone tube they provide.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:10 PM
badz

tuned pipes for the baja are fairly new, they really haven't been around all that long....so maybe one day we'll get a good 2 piece one to pop out....the more people making the pipes the more options we have which is always a good thing.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:10 PM
splcrazy

i have the rear DDM PIPE and the piece where its supposed to bolt up at the bottom it doesnt reach so i just used a hose clamp to hold it the best i could . its a pretty good power pipe but you know i reackon thers something better . im considering getting the TGN pipe and i know all about how unprotected it is from rollovers including snapping off from the cylinderhead OUCH lol especially if you have an expensive ESP head wich i plan on purchasing now , but they say that the TGN pipe is the most powerfull pipe out there but i dont know if im prepared to get my cylinder head destroyed incase of roll overs .