Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

broken baja driveshaft alert

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:53 AM
da mad maori

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken baja driveshaft alert

i was dissasembling my baja today to check diff... after having to nearly strip the entire rear of the car i noticed my right driveshaft had a broken pin!!!
ive only had two tanks in it........ maybe the few small roll overs and small jumps it endured didnt do any good???

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0041.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	2239351

Name:	IMAG0044.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	2239352

Name:	IMAG0043.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	2239353

anyways i put it all back together (including broken DS) and waiting for new HD ones.... out of curiosity i drove it down the street with the broken DS..... it went normal!!! but while reving it holding back end up i noticed the DS viabrating ...cant be good

SO all you baja owners out there, check your driveshafts.... just pull those little boots back and chech every things where they should be... you may think its all fine before a broken DS slowly destroys your diff joint

Ryan
Old 03-05-2008, 03:32 AM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: broken baja driveshaft alert

you musta got a bum one...haven't had any break on either of my baja's yet and beat the daylights outta them...it's a new baja it looks like call hpi up they'll warranty it
Old 03-05-2008, 03:46 AM
brice_arnold
My Feedback: (6)

This is typical. If it's your first then you should be able to call HPI and they will send you a new set. They may ask for a photo which you already have.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:52 AM
da mad maori

thanks Badz ill email them now.... and wait to see what happens

Ryan
Old 03-05-2008, 08:16 AM
PBJT

I run with a lot of Bajas, stock and modified and seen alot of these break. Even my Bro-in-law broke his with a completely stock machine on basic level surface. Definately a dis-appointment.

PBJT
Old 03-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Dark Soul and Phatdad Racing has monster driveshafts if you are looking for an upgrade. Pricey though...

Phatdad-

Dark Soul-

Old 03-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Dave ESPI

REPAIR or REPLACE is always the question..... PRICE is the determining factor and how hard we all run our toys.......... well, After 3 shaft sets, I'd think the hardened ones are cheaper in the long run.... ONE broken shaft.... could just be a fluke.

I
ve not ran my SS yet, but I do know the stock RTR bajas have always had issues with the driveshafts. it is one the issues they addressed in the new ss.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:05 PM
badz

ORIGINAL: PBJT

I run with a lot of Bajas, stock and modified and seen alot of these break. Even my Bro-in-law broke his with a completely stock machine on basic level surface. Definately a dis-appointment.

PBJT
Nice rumor but far from the truth, these breaking aren't a common issue with the baja, besides unlike the other gasers made the baja has a excellent warranty so issues aren't a issue.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:44 PM
brice_arnold

Why is it a rumor? If they break they break so what. How do you explain my box full of hundreds of dollars worth of busted hpi baja dogbones? I now have the DS bones on three of my bajas, two of which are 4x4 and the other is a two-speed, and I have yet to bust or twist a single one. There is the initial investment but in the long run they are worth it.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:05 PM
DarkSoul Racing

I also have about 8-10 sets of broken dog bones, the main reason why I make the big beefed up ones, because I was completely pissed at having to have 2 sets of backups every time I went out.

To say that this is just a rumor and far from the truth is just ridiculous. I can even show you a few pictures from Dunetoberfest with a pile of broken dogbones in one of the work areas.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:38 PM
da mad maori

cool so its a common problem, i dont feel so bad now lol

Dale Gribbel... wow they are expensive but better in the longrun i would imagine..

i found and ordered these in oz (link below) theyre cheap and ill put them to the test.... they say heavy duty?

http://www.danielspitstop.com.au/men...s.aspx?MID=359

and even cheaper ones but i dont trust them for some reason

http://www.danielspitstop.com.au/men...s.aspx?MID=358

Ryan
Old 03-05-2008, 08:40 PM
lt250dave

wow, look at all those broken HD dog bones......the other 30 or so, are now property of the Imperial sand dunes

Old 03-05-2008, 08:47 PM
da mad maori

holy cow!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:49 PM
brice_arnold

cool so its a common problem, i dont feel so bad now lol

Dale Gribbel... wow they are expensive but better in the longrun i would imagine..

i found and ordered these in oz (link below) theyre cheap and ill put them to the test.... they say heavy duty?

http://www.danielspitstop.com.au/men...s.aspx?MID=359

and even cheaper ones but i dont trust them for some reason

http://www.danielspitstop.com.au/men...s.aspx?MID=358

Ryan

Those bones are not really heavy duty. See all the silver bones on the table in the photo? those are supposedly heavy duty.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:55 PM
lt250dave

if you plan on making big power or doing more than driving in circles in a parking lot, go ahead and get a REAL HD set from Darksoul or Phatdad. you will save money in the long run.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:50 PM
FastEddy

Look in the HPI MANUAL it specifically states:
WHEN your dogbones get twisted to replace them, Even has a drawing of what to look for.
No myth or rumor, its a fact that they do, and will, bend twist and brake.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:14 PM
badz

sheesh the thread turned into a huge advertisement for parts...amazing how that happens anymore....
I and a few friends that own baja's haven't broken any at all...so I guess we're not using them huh....crazy how you guys love to take advantage to advertise...RCU has banner farms for that...subscribe
Old 03-05-2008, 11:56 PM
DarkSoul Racing

So by that same logic, since you and your friends have never broken a dogbone, then the rest of us that have are creating "rumors" and lying ??
Old 03-06-2008, 12:37 AM
da mad maori

come on chaps settle down

i can see badz piont about excessive product pushing on some threads but this thread was intended for people to tell me what i can do to not have this happen so much so i appreciate the input
i didnt see it as excessive.....yet

i know from racing REAL vw sandrails in my young days that no matter how strong a part is, all you have to do is land the wrong way or jump or even turn the wrong way and it'll brake.
those that havent broken these parts are just plain lucky and im sure they also know that there time will come. im just disapionted my time came too soon

im sure we all brought BAJAs for 1 reason....to thrash the guts out of them..... no human being can resist it. itl be imposible to shelve them.

Ryan
Old 03-06-2008, 01:32 AM
badz

ORIGINAL: DarkSoul Racing

So by that same logic, since you and your friends have never broken a dogbone, then the rest of us that have are creating "rumors" and lying ??
I didn't say that but you can sure manage to turn a thread into a sales pitch for your product can't you? Then again free advertising I guess why not. It's odd but only ones breaking dogbones are using yours? I don't run yours and haven't broke 1 and run the hell outta my baja's and so do my friends and they don't got that issue. So you tell me just what is the truth? Do they break or are YOU trying for a free plug yet again?
Old 03-06-2008, 01:50 AM
brice_arnold

Actually, of all the dogbones that were busted in the above picture no one was running DS shafts. We were just suffereing and dishing out hard-earned money for a new set of bones every bash. That photo is from October. THe DS shafts didn't come out til Jan/Feb of this year. Dark Soul saw a problem and came up with a solution. Your are the one that's telling people that it's not a problem from you personal experience well we've got hundreds of people who have complained about busted dogbones on the other forum. It's a real problem and obviously not a rumor or a myth.

This thread isn't about a sales pitch it's about letting people know that there is a solution and it's not from HPI. What are we suppose to do? say that yeah there are stronger dogbones on the market. There are only two companies that make them but we can't tell you who they are because we wouldn't wan't to advertise.

Wouldn't you rather hear testaments from people that used the product and can recomend it than from speculations from people that have never used the product?

Obviously if we break bones we are going to look for something stronger. If that something stronger is the Dark Souls or the Phatdads, and it is, then we are going to tell you about it and our experiences. So it stands to reason the yeah, the people talking about using the DS dogbones are the ones who have had issues with them breaking in the past. There is no conspiracy to sell a product here.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:14 AM
navgander

I broke a dogbone pin the first time out and had it fixed at work and then bought hpi's hd ones and a couple tanks through the pin on the hd bones busted and a couple weeks I twisted a hd as well as broke a pin. I hit the fourms to see if there was somthing stronger out there and was glad to see options. My bud at work also got tired of making me new pins so I invested in a pair that was touted in a fourm thread and is extreamly pleased with them. Their cost in the long run will be cheeper then buying a couple sets every couple three weeks. Yes I drive hard but the first set broke in my front yard, and the buggy was bone stock, when I wasn't bashing the buggy just learning how to handle the beast.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:22 AM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

My opinion, under normal circumstances the regular DB's do just fine. I have friends running stock Baja's with very few DB breakages. The're also careful with the throttle, releasing it everytime the vehicle gets some air.

The problem comes in when people who don't know how to drive or have bad reflexes/habbit land on the gas, have heavier then stock vehicles, more powerful then stock engine setups &/or extended shock droop mods (and this reall does kill the shaft area with DB's ball). With those last ones your pushing the vehicle beyond HPI's design spec so you can't expect it to hold up as well - adding weight and power to the vechicle puts the driveline under alot more strain, the former is a result of bad driving and again not HPI's fault. In the above photo posted by 'lt250dave' i can't see one bone that i'd consider a manufacturing defect but rather caused by the user's driving style & vehicle setup.

Now thats not to say that these never just break of their own accord, the sheared DB pin is a good example of a warrantee failure, usually the bone manages to pop out of the cup joint and not find its way back in properly and shears the pin off, this is purely down to there being too much slop in the design and no o-rings or other mechanism to centre the bone. This type of failure is 100% manufacturer defect.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:25 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before this derails, I just want to add that there's a fine line between pointing out that there exists a product to solve a given problem, and pushing a product. I don't think that line's been crossed yet here. Keep the posts civil guys. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:12 AM
splcrazy

i like it when you guys advertise products in here cos its a good way of knowing whats out there , plus in that third pic i dont understand whats going on in that pic ??????/ what is that pin thats broken ?????? is that from inside the the diff before the diff shaft out drives ??????????/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.