Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New 4x4 FGs driveline???

Old 03-18-2008, 05:02 AM
hellya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 4x4 FGs driveline???

I thought I would share

Equipment of the FG Baja Buggy 4WD Competition:

Angled 4mm alloy chassis, belt drive, casings to cover the belt, alloy differential gear at front and rear axle with hardened bevel gearwheels, alloy front axle housing, rear alloy axle mounts and alloy wishbones at front and rear axle, alloy ball joints, adjustable right/left thread rods at the track rods and at the front and rear wishbones, front alloy uprights, gearwheels made of case-hardened steel, rear FG ball drive, front FG ball drive with cardan joints, adjustable alloy servo saver, 4 large-volume oil-pressure shock absorbers, hydr. disk brake or respectively mech. Tuning disk brake at the front and rear wheels, 26ccm combustion engine, alloy engine mounts, 3-unit Tuning pipe, ready-for-use oiled OR air filter, rc plate, receiver box.
It is a belt drivin 4x4......So the FS, Smartechs and MCDs got the solid shaft drivelines on their 4x4s

Ater all this time I wonder Why FG opted to go with the belt drive??
Old 03-18-2008, 07:08 AM
clubin

Default RE: New 4x4 FGs driveline???

It is probaly a easy conversion for the people who own 2wd FG's now, they have been using timing belts on cars for 20+ years with no issues, a belt is far superior to a chain, providing the belt is protected. A belt runs quiet compared to a chain. I am happy to hear that they will be designed this way.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:25 AM
PBJT

A well designed system can use the belt as a drive train shock absorber to which will be less gear wear and sudden gear tooth snapping. I will be looking into FGs system for sure.

PBJT
Old 03-18-2008, 11:56 AM
clubin

ORIGINAL: PBJT

A well designed system

PBJT
^^^Unfortunately that can not be said about the KAMI kit.^^^
It will be interesting to see what the MFG. has come up with.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:47 PM
mooman007uk

nice one hellya: I like the idea also of a belt drive...easy conversion and looks well protected, I think shaft drive maybe would have been better, I guess it depends how durable their belt is.
Here's the full spec from FG with pictures that show how the belt drive fits.
Now all we need is the conversion kit without all the alloy arms etc....radio tray front and rear diffs and belt/cover . at least I'll be able to keep my 2 speed with no issues.

Baja Buggy 4WD Competition with
hydr. brake system, clear body
Item N°. 66000

Baja Buggy 4WD Competition with
mech. brake system, clear body
Item N°. 66001

The Baja Buggy 4WD Competition is a complete new development by FG Modellsport. The model is equipped with a 4-wheel drive , which means: maximum drive power and therefore highest fun factor on every ground and in all curves.

The open Baja bodyshell with doll driver, the metal roll cage as well as the gigantic rims with low-profile knobbed tires give the Baja Buggy an unmistakable striking looks. Equipped with a 26ccm engine the Baja is aggressive and a tremendous jumper.

We deliver the models as a kit including mounting instruction. The bodies are made of clear polycarbonate for your own painting. Stickers such as writings are included.

For the final assembly of the models you need further: radio control system (transmitter, receiver), 2 steering servos (each approx. 15 kg), 1 servo for throttle/rear brake (approx. 15 kg), 1 servo for front brake, batteries and charger. Equipment of the FG Baja Buggy 4WD Competition:
Angled 4mm alloy chassis, belt drive, casings to cover the belt, alloy differential gear at front and rear axle with hardened bevel gearwheels, alloy front axle housing, rear alloy axle mounts and alloy wishbones at front and rear axle, alloy ball joints, adjustable right/left thread rods at the track rods and at the front and rear wishbones, front alloy uprights, gearwheels made of case-hardened steel, rear FG ball drive, front FG ball drive with cardan joints, adjustable alloy servo saver, 4 large-volume oil-pressure shock absorbers, hydr. disk brake or respectively mech. Tuning disk brake at the front and rear wheels, 26ccm combustion engine, alloy engine mounts, 3-unit Tuning pipe, ready-for-use oiled OR air filter, rc plate, receiver box.

According to side rails and the closed bodyshell the Baja Buggy is almost protected against dirt from underneath. Bodyshell and rear spoiler are made of polycarbonate. Driver’s coverage and roll cage parts are made of aluminium. The giant low-profile knobbed tires are glued on white rims.

The model is equipped with a powerful 26ccm combustion engine with ready-for-use oiled air filter. The engine runs with normal 2-stroke petrol-oil mixture (available at every petrol station). The tank filling of 0,7 litres enables you to run your model around 45 minutes. With the installed pull-start system the engine can be started without any difficulties.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80821.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	908181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49790.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	908182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76077.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	908183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97744.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	908184  
Old 03-20-2008, 03:45 PM
kidd

is fg selling an rtr?
Old 03-20-2008, 05:37 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

lauterbacher's megacross runs the belr drive aswelll but i havent found much feedback on the car either ?
Old 03-21-2008, 08:22 AM
tizdaz

Belt drive > all

smoother/quieter/more reliable & less maintenance

providing its designed well, it will be good
Old 03-28-2008, 12:40 PM
mooman007uk

ORIGINAL: kidd

is fg selling an rtr?
yeah, the rtr is gonna be around $3500
Old 03-28-2008, 12:45 PM
hellya

you can order here.... 2 versions

cable brakes $2992 you add the radio http://www.fgsupply.com/Monster_Off_...ke_clear-.html

hydro brakes $3598 you add the radio system http://www.fgsupply.com/Monster_Off_...clear_bod.html

Look like a RTR FG 4x4 MT comp. with hydros will run ya $4000 the cable version is about $3500

Lauterbachers mega cross 4x4 belt drive costs about the same
Old 03-28-2008, 12:50 PM
mooman007uk

I stand corrected, I can't read my own post right...looks like there is no rtr offered yet ( you'll need 2 good steering servos as well to make it turn.)
Wonder how much they're gonna charge for a conversion kit
Old 03-28-2008, 07:51 PM
KamikazeParanoia

how different is the baja from the marder etc? will there be a belt 4x4 kit for the marder/beetle/monster etc?
Old 03-29-2008, 12:29 PM
lauterbacher

Well you need to think about the so called well designed fg f-1 with the belt drive and how they and the other Mfg's of there F-1's went to the all gear drive because of the belts wearing out so easily. And that's on clean onroad tracks.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:40 AM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

It took them a while to come up with 4wd that is not a conversion kit.

But darn, that is a lot of money to pay for RC car.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:46 PM
tizdaz

ORIGINAL: lauterbacher

Well you need to think about the so called well designed fg f-1 with the belt drive and how they and the other Mfg's of there F-1's went to the all gear drive because of the belts wearing out so easily. And that's on clean onroad tracks.
True, because Chain is much simpler, To get a good belt drive system that actually works well has been none existant (until now!?) ...but FG have been developing this for years, hopefully they have cracked it & the belt system is good. As ive already said, belt drive is much better for 4WD than chain or shaft as its much smoother/quieter, the problem was no one had released one that works as it should. time will tell about FG's belt drive

Shaft drive for 4WD has been around since the introduction of 4WD rc's way back in the 80's, chain drive hasnt been hardly used except for that of largscale simply because there have been problems when trying to develop a belt drive which is the best form of 4WD for any RC.

But for me its 2WD all the way (especially with largescale) however im toying with the idea of buying an LST which is 4WD \o/ for hardcore bashing
Old 04-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

Lets just hope the belt is well hidden and its really strong. Honestly i don't see a much difference between chain and belt, over the time they both stretch out and get weaker. The problem with chain is that the sprockets start to loose teeth, and the problem with belt is that it starts to wear out. Shaft would of been the way to go, specially on a offroad. Its gonna see a lot of abuse.