Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

baja steering servo (onroad)

Old 05-19-2008, 05:20 AM
da mad maori

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baja steering servo (onroad)

ive just converted my baja to onroad,,new tarmac tyres, modded suspention etc
but ive noticed the steering servo is not working too well...
seems to struggle turning the wheels while going hard
but turns easy when going slow or at a stop....
and when gunning it out of a slow hard lock turn, it tends to straighten up... doesnt hold the steer

is there any adjustments i can make before spashing out for a stronger servo??

if not what servo could i get without blowing the bank.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 05-19-2008, 05:57 AM
HaveBlue

Default RE: baja steering servo (onroad)

haven't had a chance to look at a baja but if it's not because of lack of servo travel and considering on road application, might have something to do with a lack of Ackerman geometry, I dont think they use this set up..haven't really seen it on to many buggies,so it might not be the servo, the only other thing if the steering still has room to steer, maybe a longer servo arm
Old 05-19-2008, 06:29 AM
da mad maori

cheers Haveblue
wow thats alot of stuff i dont understand lol
it has plenty of room to steer what is happening is...
well picture this ; going slow, turning hard, hit the gas and the forward momentum is pullin the wheels straight..over powering the servos hold...
also my batt might be low ill fully charge it and see what happens

also Haveblue, is that your charger in your pic there??? nice looking beast
im in the middle of shaping a charger body shell for the baja!.... ill post pics soon

Ryan
Old 05-19-2008, 06:44 AM
HaveBlue

ah that explains the problem better, i understood it to mean at low speed it turns ok but powering you dont have enough..now that shouldn't happen..what servo are you using for steering, what brand and whats the rating in kg's

as for my pic..that charger is my chargers identicle twin, except the pic is a '70 with a hemi, mine was a '69 with blown 440 running Hilborn injection..if you make a good charger body..be prepared to make another coz I would love to buy one

I was in the process of converting my Traveller to have a '34 Ford 3 window coupe body along with a dummy hemi blown engine to cover the radio box, even had plans on running a small dc motor in the dummy engine turning the pullies..to bad I got side tracked..sort of got the mold ready ..but needs finishing..I also sold my Traveller which didn't help the finishing process..even got extra wide slicks for the back..I need another buggy!!!!

cheers
HB
Old 05-19-2008, 09:53 AM
kryptonite5b
My Feedback: (-2)

i as well have an on-road 5b and am having the same problem. im thinking that its the reciever back not taking a full charge. i used a borrowed back at the track and it was like having a brand new servo. i dindnt really think about it till the next weekend when i put in my old pack and it was really slugish.. its kinda weird couse i still get pretty good run times out of the old pack. just like yours, mine works fine at high speeds, but hitting the hair pin turns i have to slow down alot to compinsate for the slow servo action.. im going to try a new battery before i replace my stock servo..
Old 05-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Isle of Wight Basher

Try tightening up the servo saver first, if a too weak servo saver is the problem, it won't matter what servo is in there.

Not too much though.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:49 PM
da mad maori

cheers guys yes the servo saver is something i didnt think about

ORIGINAL: HaveBlue

.if you make a good charger body..be prepared to make another coz I would love to buy one
"IF" being the word LOL
im not too confident itll look like a charger

heres a pic of the VERY early stage

there are no curves on the bottom as it had to be built to be vacume formed.... have to curve it after

Ryan
Old 05-20-2008, 05:03 AM
HaveBlue

yeah , just a bit more shaping to go, still quiet hasn't got that coke bottle shape..hope it turns out good Ryan!

back to the turning issue
anyone got an exploded view of the baja..servo saver is a good place to look, but I thought it would be pretty hefty unit to begin with

Old 05-20-2008, 05:17 AM
da mad maori

i think it is the servo saver cant try it onroad coz its peeing down
but cully charged it and held the wheels while turning and the spring seems pretty loose
wont know until i get it a go tomorrow

Ryan