Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

<Draft> Smartech Thunderbolt Review is up...

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

<Draft> Smartech Thunderbolt Review is up...

Old 05-29-2008, 06:40 AM
Foxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default <Draft> Smartech Thunderbolt Review is up...

Right, firstly, this is my own review, in my own webspace. I know it's very long, but I want to have a version which has as much information as possible. I may cut it down a bit before it is published in the RCU magazine.

When I say long, I mean LONG! This is 80% of the text complete, and it's nearly 6000 words, so if you really want to enjoy it, set aside some time (like at least half an hour). At least now you all understand the delay.

I'm very pleased with it so far, but feel free to make comments or recommendations, and even corrections, as I am well aware there are people here with more experience in large scale than I. I'm not proud, we're all here to learn.

I hope you enjoy it, and I'm hoping it will be full and finalised by this time on Tuesday next week, with videos, images, completely ready to publish on the RCU Magazine.

http://members.freezone.co.uk/jonfox/index.htm

Enjoy!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:13 AM
clubin

Default RE: <Draft> Smartech Thunderbolt Review is up...

Holy krap Foxy very professional, I will have to read through it later when I have time. Lots of time. LOL
Old 05-29-2008, 07:48 AM
csp1971

Foxy, excellent review, seems you've covered it all! You've given a very fair and honest review. I'm impressed with the buggy, can't wait to see some more pics.

I think you should also review the Redcat Rampage TT5 as well (and as in-depth).

I hope that sometime you can have a 4wd shootout between a stock Smartech Thunderbolt and a stock Redcat Rampage TT5. That would really be great for those of us that are on the fence between the two vehicles.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Foxy

I would be very happy to review the Redcat if Darin (Redcat) or Rob (Ramtech) would like me to. Thanks for the comments guys.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:47 AM
TurtleRacing

I think a REdcat review would be great!!
I'll have to read this review later, I looked at it and it's a long one, you weren't kiddin!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:52 AM
DIABLOTAC78

damn foxy you did it again
Old 05-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Foxy

Thanks. I just noticed how neon that neon blue outline on the banners is. lol, stupid laptop screen. That will be changed. I'm working on the images right now, so by tomorrow, you can expect a lot of those 'Image to be added' captions to actually have images. By the time the weekend comes, only the video will be needed.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:16 AM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

nice job foxy
Old 05-29-2008, 11:35 AM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

I'll see what I can do to get you a Rampage.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:59 AM
pwaicon

Excellent job foxy. I totally agree with you on the body/look of the car, I do like the tires and wheels though. The look could be so much better; this goes for the new Redcat buggy also. Smartech came up with such a great platform, just wish they did a better job on the body. Hobbythek put together a buggy conversion kit for the Titan; it looks like a Cleon body with FG Baja tires and wheels. I think it looks really good and will probably get it in the future.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51078.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	959567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76133.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	959568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42870.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	959569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36017.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	959570  
Old 05-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Foxy

Thanks Rob. I'll pay shipping if necessary, I'm used to that, being out here in the stix in Eastern Europe. Any review would be posted on RCU of course.

Tell you what though, I don't want to tread on Matt Gunn's toes, I know he's reviewed a few redcat cars (small scale of course) already. I think I would probably be the better person for the rampage, as I already own a few gassers, but like I say, I don't want to create a problem.

Feel free to post this review on HBF or LSF but please point out it's a draft, and not to be relinked anywhere else, if it starts getting hits from all over the place, I'll have to secure it until it's finished.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:06 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

I'll put it on LSF tonight.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: pwaicon

Excellent job foxy. I totally agree with you on the body/look of the car, I do like the tires and wheels though. The look could be so much better; this goes for the new Redcat buggy also. Smartech came up with such a great platform, just wish they did a better job on the body. Hobbythek put together a buggy conversion kit for the Titan; it looks like a Cleon body with FG Baja tires and wheels. I think it looks really good and will probably get it in the future.
That's SWEET! Exactly what it needs. Honestly, it would be a fantastic package if they sorted out the looks a bit. I've never seen so much alloy on an RTR. There'll be lots of pics going up on that page tonight and tomorrow, so keep checking for the updates. Major updates, I'll make a new post here each time anyway.

Thanks again everyone for the positive comments.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:12 PM
TurtleRacing

I think a 1/5 scale guy would be the best testor (reviewer) for a 1/5 scale, not to mention someone that just tested a competing 1/5 scale. You have a platform to compare to.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:12 PM
hellya

one thing I have noticed that I dont understand about this full time 4x4 is.....when I lift the rear wheels off the ground and give the buggy gas.... the front tires dont pull the buggy out of my hand....when the rear dive bone came out of the cup the motor just reved

Nice review foxy.....

Old 05-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: hellya

one thing I have noticed that I dont understand about this full time 4x4 is.....when I lift the rear wheels off the ground and give the buggy gas.... the front tires dont pull the buggy out of my hand....

Nice review foxy.....

Thanks. As for front drive, lock that centre diff and then spend half an hour looking for the tops of your fingers.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:28 PM
RedcatRacing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pwaicon

We will have a new buggy body in about 60 days. It will be open style like the Baja and when we get some images I will surely post them.

Darin
Old 05-29-2008, 12:28 PM
pwaicon

one thing I have noticed that I dont understand about this full time 4x4 is.....when I lift the rear wheels off the ground and give the buggy gas.... the front tires dont pull the buggy out of my hand....when the rear dive bone came out of the cup the motor just reved

Nice review foxy.....

I would assume it is due to the center diff not being a locked/LSD. I installed a FG LSD in my Titan, which I feel should solve this problem. I just haven’t had a chance to try it yet, but will let you know how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98777.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	959599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58062.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	959600  
Old 05-29-2008, 12:30 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Thanks. As for front drive, lock that centre diff and then spend half an hour looking for the tops of your fingers.
stock its not a locking center diff... so you can either add silly puddy to the center diff (locks the diffs nicely $3) or make your own
http://www.foodfunandfacts.com/sillyputty.htm Ive never tried the homemade always bought it

or spend $175 on an adjustable diff...that might be another option for smartech to have/include[sm=thumbup.gif]

Old 05-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Foxy

Silly putty was what I was thinking too.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:00 PM
NitroBurn1

Looks good Foxy. I guess you are the right man for the job.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:08 PM
dimag093

Excellent review [8D]
Well done mate
Old 05-29-2008, 06:22 PM
aluminum crusher

Right, firstly, this is my own review, in my own webspace. I know it's very long, but I want to have a version which has as much information as possible. I may cut it down a bit before it is published in the RCU magazine.

When I say long, I mean LONG! This is 80% of the text complete, and it's nearly 6000 words, so if you really want to enjoy it, set aside some time (like at least half an hour). At least now you all understand the delay.

I'm very pleased with it so far, but feel free to make comments or recommendations, and even corrections, as I am well aware there are people here with more experience in large scale than I. I'm not proud, we're all here to learn.

I hope you enjoy it, and I'm hoping it will be full and finalised by this time on Tuesday next week, with videos, images, completely ready to publish on the RCU Magazine.

http://members.freezone.co.uk/jonfox/index.htm

Enjoy!
Holy warp speed Foxy to much four me two reed, just sho me tha viedeo[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 05-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Cal-Torque

stock its not a locking center diff... so you can either add silly puddy to the center diff (locks the diffs nicely $3) or make your own
http://www.foodfunandfacts.com/sillyputty.htm Ive never tried the homemade always bought it

or spend $175 on an adjustable diff...that might be another option for smartech to have/include[sm=thumbup.gif]

If you get the adjustable FG diff, you just need to replace the end bearings. I'm waiting on mine from VXB. You'll also need a 1mm shim for each side.
The bearings are pressed on. To get them off, I applied dry heat (small torch), then immersed in boiling water. They should slip off because the cast contracts more quickly than the steel bearing.
Ofna has diff lock fluid if you choose to go that way, but I would still buy al diff carriers.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Foxy

Just did an update, minor text changes, major image changes, added some more photos.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.