Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Smartech Titan Monster Beetle Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Smartech Titan Monster Beetle Video

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:19 PM
pwaicon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smartech Titan Monster Beetle Video

I thought I would share a video of my Smartech Titan with everyone. I purchased it used from a member here. The truck came with a CY 30.5 and a Jet Pro Pipe. I decided to add a few hop ups (alloy gear carrier, alloy center diff mounts, alloy motor mounts, alloy diffs, cvd’s in the front, and an alloy steering center link). I also modified the roll cage to fit a better air filter and put an FG Monster Beetle shell on it. There is one more alloy hop up I will need, but you will see what that is at the end of the video. The truck held up really well, especially the way I was driving it. I do wish the Jet Pro pipe had more low end power; it is more of a top end pipe. The low end power would have come in handy since we were filming in a tight area.

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPNjwRlGqfk[/link]
Old 06-09-2008, 08:28 PM
PBJT

Default RE: Smartech Titan Monster Beetle Video

Ouch, the frt of that truck took a beating! Your ramp is too flimsy and bending, causing it to spring the back of the machine up once the weight it of it-reinforce the ramp not the truck.

THanks for sharing the vid though.

PBJT
Old 06-09-2008, 08:33 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

Sounds way under powered.
You say it has a Jet-Pro?
I guess it could be running rich.
Looks nice, love the beattle Baja.. Sounds weak..
Old 06-09-2008, 09:26 PM
pwaicon

PBJT
I would agree with you on the ramp. Unfortunately it was a spur of the moment thing and that piece of plywood was all we could come up with. To be honest, I was surprised all I ended up doing was stripping the rear hub. I guess the RC Gods were on my side today. When I get a chance to go where I normally drive my cars I will shoot another video and share with all.

teamchrome
I am not the best engine tuner so that could be an issue; the truck actually has excellent top speed. I suppose I could change the gearing around to help with the torque. I just don’t feel the Jet Pro has enough bottom end, I feel it is more of a top end pipe. I even put a HPI high response clutch on it. I am definitely going to try several other pipes and gearing combinations on it before all is said and done. I will let you now how it turns out.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Slammed

sounded like you were running with the choke on
Old 06-09-2008, 10:05 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

It is a nice ride..
Im sure its somthing siple, it usually is with these as the motors are reliable and strong and will last many years if not ran lean.
I had a XTM buggy ( Firehammer) and loved it.
But its all Baja now!!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Cal-Torque

Definitely something wrong with the tune. It doesn't sound good at all.
Keep on the throttle so that you stop plowing it nose first into the dirt. Ouch! I cringed every time. [:-]
Fun to watch though. Thanks
Old 06-10-2008, 04:10 PM
kidd

the little gear goes on the clutchbell the big one on the other shaft.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:01 PM
PBJT

I bet it will run twice the speed once you get the needles right. And I pulled out a rear knucle bolt too on the weekend. I by no means am trying to high-jack the thread but listen to my FG MT, this is a 26 zen with a DDM torque pipe....you have me beat in every way performance wise so you should be able to sound and accell harder then me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpMsBpZZxXg

Here is what I do...anyone correct me if I am wrong. Set the two scews to stock 1 1/4 out on low and 1 1/2 on high. warm engine and idle, turn the low in slowly until peak rpm achieved and then out just shy of 1/4 turn. Then I set the high on the fly....I do a few long runs and listen. If the machine reaches top speed and slows down you need to turn the needle out to richen up. If a good constant speed is achieved then just play with the high needle 1/16 of a turn either way for your best performance.

PBJT
Old 06-10-2008, 07:06 PM
pwaicon

Thanks kidd that might be my problem. I have the larger gear (43T) on the clutch and the smaller gear (37T) one on the laysaft. The truck didn’t come with a manual so I was going of some pictures I found that showed the gears. I will switch them around and see what that does for me. Once again thanks.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:21 PM
pwaicon

ORIGINAL: PBJT

I bet it will run twice the speed once you get the needles right. And I pulled out a rear knucle bolt too on the weekend. I by no means am trying to high-jack the thread but listen to my FG MT, this is a 26 zen with a DDM torque pipe....you have me beat in every way performance wise so you should be able to sound and accell harder then me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpMsBpZZxXg

Here is what I do...anyone correct me if I am wrong. Set the two scews to stock 1 1/4 out on low and 1 1/2 on high. warm engine and idle, turn the low in slowly until peak rpm achieved and then out just shy of 1/4 turn. Then I set the high on the fly....I do a few long runs and listen. If the machine reaches top speed and slows down you need to turn the needle out to richen up. If a good constant speed is achieved then just play with the high needle 1/16 of a turn either way for your best performance.

PBJT
I appreciate the advice BPJT, I can use all the help I can get. I watched you videos earlier today, cool stuff. I like it when you have a bunch of cars running at once, much more fun that way. The Titan definitely doesn’t have the punch I think it should, my MCD has much more punch and it is a lot heavier. I will reset my needles and adjust them per your instructions and see how she runs before I change the gears. If that doesn’t give me the punch I desire I will switch the gears around and if that doesn’t do the job I will look for a different pipe. Who am I kidding I am still going to look for a different pipe. I will let you now how it works out.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:32 PM
kidd

i tried the big gear on the clutchbell the tires are too big. switch them and you'll be so happy you did.