Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

front hydr`s are in yay * update* rears are too

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

front hydr`s are in yay * update* rears are too

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:58 AM
jasrx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front hydr`s are in yay * update* rears are too

well after 6 hours of installing [ drilled holes in chassi for rear master too]
the hydr`s are in .. what a sucky colour of FG brake fluid its hard to see the bubbles and to see when its leaking allover the chassi [ i had the bleed valve too loose ]
what fluid duz every one else use?
Old 06-27-2008, 05:03 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: front hydr`s are in yay

Sweet! Pics installed? I like shiny things.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:41 AM
jasrx

pics ,
im not happy with the soft steel rod for the brake push rod [ ill change it to music steel]
and ill be routeing the brake rod under the servo horn ....
i had to route the brake lines under the top suspension arm , as when i tryed it on top the line would get trapped between the upright and sus arm .

Old 06-27-2008, 07:46 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good man. Can you remind me how much that kit is? Are hydros a pain to maintain?
Old 06-27-2008, 11:08 AM
HaveBlue

I found it cheaper to go to a bike shop and buy shimano mineral brake fluid thats used in push bikes. it's much easier to see the bubbles when bleeding the brakes and I got more than 5 oz for $5.00.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:34 PM
mojavemonster

Could someone tell me what these usually measure from edge of caliper to center of shaft? Times this by 2 and I could figure the smallest wheel that would fit over it. I'm asking cuz my build is running HPI Savage wheels on a complete custome set up.

I'd probably be more interested in a cable settup myself though. What I'd like to be able to do is controll the front brakes independently to help on hairpin corners rather than stopping. Hmmmmm.......
Old 06-27-2008, 08:13 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: mojavemonster

Could someone tell me what these usually measure from edge of caliper to center of shaft? Times this by 2 and I could figure the smallest wheel that would fit over it. I'm asking cuz my build is running HPI Savage wheels on a complete custome set up.

I'd probably be more interested in a cable settup myself though. What I'd like to be able to do is controll the front brakes independently to help on hairpin corners rather than stopping. Hmmmmm.......
sure you can .. a 3 channel remote and seperate ser vo for the front brakes then you can control the bias independantly
Old 06-27-2008, 08:34 PM
jasrx

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Looking good man. Can you remind me how much that kit is? Are hydros a pain to maintain?
foxy that kit is $495 AUD , time will tell if the hydro`s are a pain to maintain . i remade the push rod now its perfect .
i just came in from testing them out and wow what a diffrence the stopping power is heaps better . no more self steering under brakes [ like with the old cables when they strech ]

so far im very happy and i will be buying a set for the rear very soon .
Old 06-27-2008, 08:35 PM
HaveBlue

I found the same issue as you raise mojave, I have the hydros on the front of my FG onroad but re-installed cables to the rear..most will say that hydros are good all round , but I use the cabled rear , because of the adjustment advantage so if I hit the brake really hard I can flick the rear around on a tight hair pin . whilst I can handle the corners fine with full hydros, I like how the back end slides into it and flicks around the corner [8D]
Old 06-27-2008, 08:41 PM
jasrx

i have cable rear , i might hang off for a bit and buy other things before i go rear hydro`s . deppends on what i feel like at the time .
id really like a race ported engine .......
Old 06-27-2008, 08:46 PM
mojavemonster

sure you can .. a 3 channel remote and seperate ser vo for the front brakes then you can control the bias independantly
Right. Thats the plan but the question was will my Stock Savage wheel with inside diameter of 3 inches fit over the set-up? The measurement in the photo can not be over 1 1/2 inches for it to work for me. My wheel selection is set in stone. If it don't fit it don't fit.

Thanxx
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87989.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	979807  
Old 06-27-2008, 08:58 PM
mojavemonster

Accually I was figuring it slightly different. Running the brakes off a 3rd channel would require me to operate bias, steering, and throttle all at the same time.

What I have in mind would require alot of tuning but it would go like this.....the brake cable would be loose. Flipping 3rd channel on to activate the bias mode.......servo would tighten cable half way.....no braking action yet. Then the bias would come off the steering servo which will complete the cable tightening and be more veriable. But like I said it'll take some tuning.

That way all I got to do is flip on before and flip off after the hair pin......and steer / throttle as usual.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:23 AM
jasrx

ORIGINAL: mojavemonster

Right. Thats the plan but the question was will my Stock Savage wheel with inside diameter of 3 inches fit over the set-up? The measurement in the photo can not be over 1 1/2 inches for it to work for me. My wheel selection is set in stone. If it don't fit it don't fit.

Thanxx
its 42mm
Old 06-28-2008, 05:28 AM
mojavemonster

Dang. Just a few mm too big for my application. I really don't want to change my wheel n tires because I'm going for a scale look.

hmmmm...We'll see what happenes. It'll be soo cool to do this

Thanx for the numbers
Old 06-29-2008, 10:52 AM
mooman007uk

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I've the KPD mk3's on the front of my fg baja...awesome stopping power, real easy to bleed and maintainance is virtually zero. I'm looking for a used magura set up for the rears now as fg stock rear brake sucks...one wheel can spin forward and the other backwards with the open diff.
mixing on the 3rd channel makes fr to rear setup a breeze too.
in my opinion hydro's are the way to go and well worth saving up for.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:25 AM
jasrx

Default RE: front hydr`s are in yay * update*

UPDATE :

the rear cables brakes are on ebay and im buying the rear set of hydro`s next week
Old 07-09-2008, 03:07 AM
jasrx

Default RE: front hydr`s are in yay * update*

well the rear hydrs are on order and should be here friday .
then next weeks its a race ported topend kit and a 813 carbie ......
Old 07-12-2008, 04:40 PM
jasrx

Default RE: front hydr`s are in yay * update* reares re too

the rear brakes are in