Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Just started a homemade rc car!Need Help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Just started a homemade rc car!Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Just started a homemade rc car!Need Help

Absolutely gorgeous!Absolute GiorgosBUT,i didnt like what you said about the caliper,this is the first thing i would have made so you dont risk anything,you know,you dont need many kilometers pr hour to destroy the frontspoiler[X(]

Oh,this makes me wanna build a new car
Old 01-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Giorgos_cupra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C.lyra i will definately shoot a video.Now that i have a digi cam my only problem is the weather[:'(]

My budy Lars thank you very much!!!Your comments always put a huge smile on my face!You got the words man!But,i was sure,i mean definately sure that you are gonna hit me for the caliper!You are completely right on this one,but i can't win the urge to take it out there!I mean i had in the past but it is completely different now!Now it feels like a car...Before,with just the chassis i didn't feel like driving a car...I was like what's the front and what's the back!I think you feel me!

As for the new car,that's great man!I love to motivate people!!!If you start a new one i'm gonna be there from the right first post!!I feel very sorry i missed the ford built[][][]
Old 01-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Giorgos_cupra

I finished the body posts today...Now i got to work on the headlights...That is gonna be a major major PITA!!

Here is how she's sitting now:

Old 01-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Fabe

Giorgos, that looks very, very nice! Had you planned the chassis for the body or vice-versa? That fit is amazing! Keep up the excellent work.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Hey Fabe,how are you doing mate?Thank you for the comments!I had planned the chassis from the beginning.The original wheelbase was 535 and width 400.This body had it a little altered...So i made the chassis exactly like the body dimensions even up to half a mm.Of course i made those points on the chassis adjustable so it can take all the 1/5 bodies availiable and not just the merc.As you see in the pictures,on the rear wheels the axle extends far from the wheel itself.I made it that way so i can adjust the width,and the stance...You know if it looked better with larger width on the rear wheels.I'm gonna try a few diferent widths even though i think the one i have now is great!After that i will probably cut down the axle.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Lars from Norway

WOW its low!Are you satisfied with how the wheels meet the wheelarches,or are you goin to lower the body more?It seems like there isnt much more to lower on nowThe rims came out nice too,i didnt think they would blend in that good
Old 01-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Yep it's still damn low!I don't have any room for lowering...The nose is a little lower though than the back.I'm gonna lift her a little to see when it stands then.I'm not totally satisfied with the arches position but i have to settle for it.I don't want to cut the body,i can't even think about it!I knew the rims would finish off the look pretty nice!As many of my friends say,when it comes to cars,it's like i have a third eye.Later down the road,and if that damn boat permits it,i'll go with wide bbs back and normal bbs in front.They will be black with chrome polished lip.I think that will be totally killer!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Lars from Norway

ORIGINAL: Giorgos_cupra

C.lyra i will definately shoot a video.Now that i have a digi cam my only problem is the weather[:'(]

My budy Lars thank you very much!!!Your comments always put a huge smile on my face!You got the words man!But,i was sure,i mean definately sure that you are gonna hit me for the caliper!You are completely right on this one,but i can't win the urge to take it out there!I mean i had in the past but it is completely different now!Now it feels like a car...Before,with just the chassis i didn't feel like driving a car...I was like what's the front and what's the back!I think you feel me!

As for the new car,that's great man!I love to motivate people!!!If you start a new one i'm gonna be there from the right first post!!I feel very sorry i missed the ford built[][][]
Yep,i remember i had to put the frontwheels pointing left or right to know what was the frontYou did miss the building of the Capri,in fact everybody did,cause it was nearly finished when i joined the forum,so i just put out some pics from the building,not during the building you know.I use my dads workshop,so i guess he gets the diherria if i start a new build there[sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 PM
slawhammer

Hey my friend..that looks real sweet....Now i want to trade my painted beetle for that car....Naw just joking,,,You have
done a super fine job...Got to have those brakes now on that car...protect your investment.....Best you ...Yeah weather sucks here as well
-5 F degrees and 6 " snow....AKASlawhammer
Old 01-15-2009, 06:46 AM
da mad maori

that thing is CLASS all the way!!!
looking very nice cant wait to see some vid..
Old 01-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Thank you Roger!!It came out nice...What a relief!The beetle for the merc ha??I think we are both gonna have some problems with the wheels fitting the arches!I'm just kidding!I will try to work on the caliper and on the headlights in pararell.I got a new drill yesterday,wish i had it from the beginning!It drill through the 8mm thick alu like it was paper!!

Da mad Maori,thank you man!!That's what i was aiming from the beginning.A nice classy with strict attitude car...Nothing exotic or something like that...Today we had some sun.I could maybe roll it,but i'm working on the body and couldn't put it on....It is full of duct tape,epoxy etc
Old 01-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Update on the headlights.I finished the right headlight.What do you guys think?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Lars from Norway

I see stars![8D]Maybe a bit "too much",are they pointed so that they light up in front of the car,or are they pointed so they are 90 degrees to the car body(and lights up the sky?)?Hope you understand me!Maybe if you had put on the "frame" from the original lightdecal it would have looked a bit better,it was kind of "naked" now
Old 01-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Giorgos_cupra

About the pointing,it is something between.It may light the road it may not.I don't know yet.As for the frame,it is on!It's that damn camera flash that's making it look strange!I'll try to take a picture without the flash
Old 01-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Giorgos_cupra

There is no way to take a shot without the flash.Maybe this one looks better
Old 01-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Lars from Norway

Oh,thats better!It even looks better nowFooled by the angle on the othe picture maybe.How did you fix them to the body?Would be interesting to see a picture or two from the inside aswellAre you going to have lights at the rear end too?
Old 01-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Giorgos_cupra

Those night shots are tricky.Tomorrow that i will finish the other one i'll take some pictures during day time.How did i fixed them on the body?Well,first i marked the position and the angle of both the headlight and the body.Then i secured them in place with tape.Put a little epoxy in some spots,let it dry completely.I checked if i liked the result and then applied epoxy all around the headlight.I'll take a shot of the inside later on

Edit:nope,no ligths on the back.That would be pretty easy,i just don't like it.I think it will look like a toy
Old 01-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Finally,finally,finally!!!I almost finished the headlights!That took much more time than i expected!!It was a major pita and also run in many problems...Let me name a few...

1.First secondary board fried
2.Second secondary board fried
3.First main board fried
etc etc etc....

So i had to manually wire most of the leds!Then i had to solder some cheap main board wires than came loose!And much moore!But,i decided to bring my old elecronic skills back and go further than just 2 headlights lightning up.Spent a good amount of time with my voltometer and with my solder gun,but i'm not complaining for this,i enjoyed it

So,let's see what we got:
City Lights

Angel Lights

Angel+City Lights

Center+City Lights

Sides+City Lights

High Beams

PS:sorry for the quality of the photos.I had to mess around with shutter speed etc to make the leds show.Otherwise it was just showing a blur of light
Old 01-22-2009, 09:52 AM
slawhammer

Hey my friend...That is awsome..you out done your self with the lights...
Tip: as to taking picture's with flash..place a white cloth over flash to soften the flash of light from camera..single layer of cloth will do nicely..
Your looking real god my friend...AKASlawhammer
Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Thank you Roger!Glad you like the lights!

I will try the cloth method.I think it will work nice toning down the flash.I'll check it out
Old 01-22-2009, 10:30 AM
rc rock

the hedlight are amazing. i've never seen anything like that in rc. keep up the mazaing work
Old 01-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Thank you Rc rock!

I decided since almost every board fried,to wire the leds manually.On the way i got a little creative
Old 01-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Lars from Norway

Holy crap thats cool!Looks like you have done this beforeI bow to thee,thy master of solder iron skills
Old 01-22-2009, 02:00 PM
C.lyra

Wow, that is awesome... very cool look.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Giorgos_cupra

Lars you are the man,oh you are the man!I told you before,you got the words!!I didn't expect such enthusiasm for the headlights!I am really really glad everyone likes them!!!You guys made my day!!!Thank you again for your comments!!!

C.lyra thank you very much!I'm pretty much exhausted right now with the lightning thingy.But i only have to mount the leds on the second hl and i'm set.I have totally 86 leds if i counted correctly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.