Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New to the 1/5 scale RC world

Old 08-22-2008, 12:37 PM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to the 1/5 scale RC world

Lars: Yup when they told me $60.00 dollars..Time to be inventive...I may not be the sharpest pencil in the box..But I am in the box..
Well after 5hours of filing and fitting..I got 1 collar done..It is flush fit on the back of the wheel hub..3/8 inch wide 1/5 deep..so that should
make a good coller ..There should be no splitting at the corners from the drive blocks..Cuz of high torque at the wheels...
See enclosed picture....AkaSlawhammer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32230.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	1016802  
Old 08-22-2008, 03:05 PM
davido666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now can you make 4 for me. LOL
Old 08-22-2008, 03:31 PM
slawhammer

ORIGINAL: davido666

Now can you make 4 for me. LOL
David0666: I will if you need collars made?..After all I am retired and ya know nothing to do with may free time..
Only thing I am doing is rebuilding my firehammer...Slow going on the wheel collors ..but well worth the time...I know what's done..
AKA Slawhammer
Old 08-23-2008, 03:09 PM
slawhammer

David0666: Hey pal I got another coller done today..So that's 2 down ..yeah and 2 too go....
fingers are alittle numb from working on the coller..sure hope this works..I do not know even if you can buy
collers or steel bands for wheels....Enclosed picture....Aka Slawhammer

Name:	Rp43984.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1017476  
Old 08-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Lars from Norway

Looking good,Roger,looking good
Old 08-23-2008, 05:47 PM
davido666

Nice job doing the collars. Well done.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:52 PM
slawhammer

Lars: Thanks guys for the vote of confidance...I have always take pride in my work....Cuz when some see's it ..they say who made that..
David0668: I can be proud to say I did....I was a automotive Tech for 43 years...always had people want me to take care of there real cars or trucks
Well I did try to use my son's cordless dermel but that lasts about 10 minutes..like 2 hours to recharge battery. ..So I have to do every thing
by hand,,So this is what got too work with diamond files..Oh yeah also picture of gas pipe..I have to file half the thickness..Enclosed pictures..
Thanks for all your help and support on my project..AKA Slawhammer

Name:	Vt56312.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1017636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80733.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1017637  
Old 08-25-2008, 07:10 AM
slawhammer

OK got it fired up...As stated I installed new alloy intake and 813 carb.. 2 pulls on trigger for fuel and 2 pulls on starter..raaaaaaarraaaa it goes ..checked the clutch for
engagement 8,000RPMS just like it said on the package,,I check this out on a small stand I use..Put firehammer on ground..pull the trigger ..man gone like soulded dog
dirt flying from both rear wheels...Ran maybe 25 feet stopped..Now what I thought...I could hear a high pitch noise.Or squeal...tried to kill from TX..No luck there..Killed with engine kill switch,,
So I Will have to check out 3rd channel for electronic kill switch....Found frozen bearing on clutch.....Tear down time...ok inspected the clutch..things all look good..so installed new
bearing..Back together..Let's try this again....same as before 2 pulls for fuel 2 pulls to start..RaaaRaaaa it goes,,check clutch again all is good...take from stand put on ground..
Hit the throttle..where gone...smooth easy no bogging..Ok runs maybe 50 to 75 feet ..stays there..Oh Man!! now what....would just rev up...Killed engine...Well looking this over
I see the lay shaft moved away from the diff gear....Now I know I lock tited all the grub screws.....Now I think I will order new lay shaft,brake block,transfer gear & diff gear..
Those have not been done,,There still orig since I got the firehammer.....Any suggestions on this??Thanks for all those who have been helping on this project...AKA Slawhammer
Old 08-25-2008, 12:03 PM
slawhammer

Well I had the firehammer out this morning..fired right up.. let idle for a minute or so on the stand hit the throttle couple times.. all looks good
so put on the ground..pulled the trigger,,now to say the least that 813 carb gets with the program right now...It took off and I heard a big loud
crack..sounded like 22 cal going off..truck stopped ..I rev'ed it ..made a werid noise shut it off with kill switch..looking down while killing engine
I noticed broken metal parts laying between the engine and fuel tank...Not again..How many times is this going to happen...So looks like tear down again.
Just call me the destroyer...I guess I was not ment to have a 1/5 scale RC Truck...I will keep ya posted..AKA Slawhammer
EDIT :For Picture

Name:	Db86459.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	1019177  
Old 08-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Lars from Norway

Seems like the killswitch have become handy,you have used it more than the pullstartJust kidding.Well,i almost hear that 22.cal noise when i see those parts,i will rather call it bad luck than destroying.
Quote:"I see the lay shaft moved away from the diff gear",you mean forwards from the diffgear,or sideways?Aslong as the gears are not worn of not being lined up it should be fine for further use,but if the layshaft have turned inside of the gear its time to get a new one.Do you have a pic of the gears?If theyre fine you can save some money
Old 08-25-2008, 02:35 PM
slawhammer

Lars: It is a good thing for the kill switch....I think I got the transmitter figured out for 3rd channel..The radio is for 3 different models..I think it will only work
if select model 1 only..I tried with the other model settings and nothing for 3rd channel..but with first model it seems to work on transmitter,,Just will check next time
I fire up the firehammer....As to the lay shaft..It slid sideways..But I ordered all new stuff today..Lay shaft,brake block,transfer gear,& 48 th diff gear..Now My whole drive train will
be new....Those have not been done..The are still orig...I will have dam near new unit when done...Wish my boys would have waited..I would have gotten a FG..
Looks like tear down later tonite..Have to see if miss's got any thing planned...They always have away of ""oh you can do that later"..were going Bla Bla Bla..Know what I mean..
Thanks for all the help on this project....AkaSlawhammer

Old 08-26-2008, 06:06 AM
slawhammer

Well I have found out what those metal chunks are..Some how a rock got in the engine..Broke about 10 cooling fins off
I will get pictures posted later...Have to pull the engine off chassie... Now there will be a mod done here to keep rocks out
I got new fly wheel ordered...I will keep ya posted..on this firehammer project..AKA Slawhammer
Old 08-26-2008, 06:46 AM
dazzza1978

Damn, you unlucky mother.

I feel the same sometimes, I have just spent some money and a heap of time re doing all the bearings on my car, and I take it out 2 days ago, and I got a rock caught around the diff, big gauges in that, and now the diff feels very very tight. Might be time for me to get a new diff.

I hope that you have more luck with your animal soon Roger. It can get frustrating if you break it 3 or 4 times in as many runnings which as I have found can happen with these big cars sometimes, and it can be as easy as just clipping a tree stump because it decides to pin out when you are rounding it, or something like that.

Good luck on your rebuild, and nice job on the collar's.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:02 AM
davido666

I have seen people put screening over the air intake on the bottom of the motor to keep grass and rocks out of the flywheel.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:17 AM
slawhammer

Dazz: Oh I am not flustered..I just want to run this for more than 5 minutes is all... did when I first got it about 4 weeks ago..
ever since then..it's been up grading ..checking it out ..5 minutes here and there each time..then back to more up grading...
Thanks for you vote on the collers for the wheels..Lot of time spent there making them..,,I should be able to try out those wheels
when all is good and after I get too run 1 tank of fuel..then will change the wheels...This beast will be all new parts when done...
over $1,000 dollars now spent on all up grades..well maybe more like $800.00 shipping ate up some money..Thanks for your reply..
AkaSlawhammer
Old 08-26-2008, 07:25 AM
slawhammer

I have seen people put screening over the air intake on the bottom of the motor to keep grass and rocks out of the flywheel.
David0666: Yeah I just got informed about the screening for the engine in another site,..From a couple of other people..
You can bet I will have that screen mod done this week..I will post pictures of it..But I still like this firehammer after all I have been thru..
Hell.. I could build one from scratch....Ya know.. as many times I have had this firehammer a part it should have wing nuts on it...I think the
nuts & bolts are getting worn out in the last couple weeks...Thanks for your reply...Thanks for all those who have been helping on this..your support
keeps me going ..Love you guys....Aka Slawhammer
Old 08-26-2008, 04:17 PM
slawhammer

Ok ..Went to the automotive parts house today..got the stuff to seal up the air intakes on the engine...Up There's another 10 bucks
enclosed picture of items....I will have pictures of engine posted later...AKA Slawhammer

Name:	Qo40857.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	1020046  
Old 08-28-2008, 11:12 AM
slawhammer

OK..I am waiting for parts to arrive..Before I do the screen mod for the intake on engine..New Fly wheel in the mail..I do not have a lot of room to work on my firehammer
I have to work around the miss's..only place I have at the moment is the kitchen area..So every thing has too be tear down and back together in a few hours..
I will post pictures of the damaged fly wheel along with the screen mod.....Thanks to all that have been helping on my firehammer project...AKA Slawhammer
Old 08-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Lars from Norway

Waiting is the most stupid invention ever!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:36 PM
slawhammer

ORIGINAL: Lars from Norway

Lars: yup..my friend seems like thats all I have been doing..is waiting for parts..But my firehammer will be all new...with many up grades
The front end will be done this winter...So I think I will be able to run this now after the screem mod and new flywheel...This time hope to
get at least 1 tank of fuel thru it..not just 5 minutes here and there..Thanks for the reply..AKA Slawhammer
Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 AM
slawhammer

ORIGINAL: slawhammer

ORIGINAL: Lars from Norway

Lars: yup..my friend seems like thats all I have been doing..is waiting for parts..But my firehammer will be all new...with many up grades
The front end will be done this winter...So I think I will be able to run this now after the screem mod and new flywheel...This time hope to
get at least 1 tank of fuel thru it..not just 5 minutes here and there..Thanks for the reply..AKA Slawhammer
Ok ...Heres a picture of 12 fins knocked off fly wheel....Got new one this morning..going to do the screen mod also today
pictures later for that...AKA Slawhammer

Name:	Ay74220.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	1021570  
Old 08-29-2008, 10:18 AM
slawhammer

Ok...Now I have finished the starter screen mod..Enclosed picture...Have to do the engine next
more pictures to come....AKASlawhammer

Name:	Sq46714.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1021593  
Old 08-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Lars from Norway

Nice work!The flywheel was not so nice though
Old 08-29-2008, 01:40 PM
slawhammer

Lars: Thanks for your vote of support on my firehammer...I now have the screen mods done for the engine..
have to wait 24 hours for full cure..I have a couple other things I can do yet...So maybe I can run this for
more than 5 minutes...Enclosed pictures..There a little blured ..but you will get the idea...AKA Skawhammer

Name:	Ec88752.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	1021659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61676.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	1021660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47826.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	1021661  
Old 08-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Lars from Norway

Thinking of maybe do the same on my FG,and as its mostly used onroad,there will be no grass or similar covering up the intakes.It'll be easy to remove anyway if so

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.