Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New to the 1/5 scale RC world

Old 08-29-2008, 02:33 PM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to the 1/5 scale RC world

Lars: The screen is held on with a silacone stuff..But any protection over the intakes is way better than nothing at all
You just may pickup a small rock even on road..And if you don't like it you can easy remove the screening....
So now with just a couple small things yet.. I should be ready for more than 5 minutes..AKA Slawhammer
Old 08-29-2008, 03:07 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you need a flywheel "puller" tool to get the flywheel replaced?

Nice job on the coarse mesh under the crankcase and pullstart. I have an Outerwears pullstart cover but nothing on the crankcase. You've inspired me Slawhammer!
Old 08-29-2008, 03:25 PM
slawhammer

KenGen: Hey my friend long time no hear from ya...Yes I do have to use a puller to get the fly wheel off....I got it from Dave's
worth the money spent..think 23 bucks...I also have outerwares precovers..But some how a rock got in there..You seen the fly wheel
fins knocked off..Think maybe 10 bucks for the supplys to do the screen job...worth the money I spent...
Well I found out I have a transfer gear..teeth are ground down..Not by me though...Orig owner...Now seeing ahead..I just got a ups
delivery....New transfer gear,new lay shaft..new brake block....I am waiting for new 48 thooth rear diff gear...So I have replaced all
gearing...Well only one culpert left...the internal diff gears...And some thing just say get those gears and change them out...My whole
drive train will be all new then......I have only got too run this firehammer 5 minutes here and there...When I first got it I got 1 tank of
fuel ran.. then all these problems for the last 4 weeks...Thanks for your reply and good to hear from ya..AKASlawhammer
Old 08-31-2008, 07:56 AM
slawhammer

Ok.. I have been looking at the engine since I done the lower screen mod..I could see that a rock
could also get in at the top ..maybe..So I went on step beyond..I did a UPPER Screen Mod...You know it would
be just my luck to get a rock...I have had more down time than running...I also did new lay shaft,brake block
transfer gear...I also have new gear plate with all new pinion and spur gear,,,Enclosed pictures of UPPER SCREEN MOD
I just silaconed the screen to the inside of the covers..behind the fan cover..AKA Slawhammer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81459.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	1022825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76137.jpg
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	1022826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17542.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1022827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35988.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1022828  
Old 09-01-2008, 12:33 PM
slawhammer

Ok..Here It is Labor Day..I got my firehammer back together..I used blue loc-tite on every grub screw and also engine mounts..
I know you say should have used RED on engine mounts....I have to maybe loosen the engine to get to fan cover if I don't get
any spark..I did set the air gap when installed new fly wheel..Also this week should have new diff gear.. so I think I will need to
reset the transfer gear and diff gear with paper.....Looks like I will have to wait until mid morning to fire up the engine and get things
checked out....Give the lock-tite time to cure..I have still more bling coming during the week ..I will post pictures....Thanks for all your replies and help....
AKA Slawhammer
Old 09-01-2008, 01:49 PM
davido666

Well I took out my firehammer MT with the new used 668 carb. and it ran great. My clutch bell gear set screws came loose so I used some blue loctite and all is well now. Here are a few shots.

Name:	Hf99203.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1023929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75099.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1023930  
Old 09-01-2008, 02:23 PM
slawhammer

David 0666: I see you got your new gear set....Well all I can say about my firehammer is after all the items I have replaced it will be new again..
So I will get a chance to break some thing...I have a few more blings to add then will enjoy running it...You should add some decals to your body..looks a little
bare...Looking good..At Least your having fun...What about a DDM pipe?That will give some kick....Thanks for the reply..AKA Slawhammer
Old 09-01-2008, 03:21 PM
davido666

Ya I am looking for some stickers for it. When the guy gave me the body he didn't have any stickers for it. My hobby shop sells sticker kits so I will check them out. I am shopping for a DDM exhaust but the bidding is going to high on ebay so I might wait for winter when the RC season slows down and I will try to buy one then.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:04 PM
nzkiwi1975

Hey davido666,

you can get some stickers from Innovativehobby, check out link,

http://www.innovativehobby.com/index...ROD&ProdID=333

Here's Mine

Name:	Ig11902.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1024016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38709.jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1024017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13286.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1024018  
Old 09-01-2008, 05:00 PM
slawhammer

NZKwiki1975 & David0666: Kiwki thanks for the info on the decals....Hey Dave ya know I got lots a time on my hands and the mind wonders
Always thinking of making things better for the fire hammer...Well I have been busy this afternoon with the firehammer...I ran out of screen
So I got in to the Miss's craft box...Yup just what I was looking for plastic screen ..yeah many different colors..I chose a bright one..Firehammer
needs some color...Ok I made a home made Rock Protector for the rear diff...It should work...spaced it underside os diff gear would not hit the
screen..Enclosed Pictures....What do ya think? Thanks for the replies and help..AKA Slawhammer

Name:	Jg14042.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	1024049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65828.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	1024050  
Old 09-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Lars from Norway

Your car have more upgrades now than i dared think about the first time i replied in this topicLooks very good,it needs some coloursHope you get to run it for several tanks when you are ready to rumble again,hehe!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:33 AM
slawhammer

Lars:Good to hear from you..Yes My firehammer has new life brought back to it..many up grades to make it much better..I still have a few
ideas That I would like to do..But those will wait till the snow flies...Been thinking of a couple of mods..There in the planing stage yet.to see if they
will work out before making a post about them...I am just about ready to have some fun..like you say for many tanks of fuel...
I sotra tapped out my son's credit cards..They said" Pop you should be ready any time now,we just spent 900 bucks for parts for ya"
And it is very well appreacitated what they have done for me..and also all the suggestions and help form all of you guys with my project...
I still have a couple things let to do yet..But I think I can just run it now..and still do what I have to do ...Many many thanks go to you guys
there are to many names for me to remember here to post..But you all know who you are..and a big thank you..AKA Slawhammer
Old 09-02-2008, 04:47 PM
slawhammer

Ok Guys..I know some of you thought I forgot about the wheel collars..Well it takes 5 to 6 hours to make one collar
all hand filed and fitted to the wheel..That's what I have been doing today..3 done now ..one more to go..Might be
a couple days ..before I do that last one..fingers and hands are a little stiff form making the collar..Yeah a dermel
would be nice..Maybe the boy's will get me one for X-Mas...I will try to have the last one done by the weekend
Cuz some of you want to see those big tires mounted on the firehammer...Enclosed Picture of the 3 wheels...
Thanks for all your repiles and to those who have read about my project..AKA Slawhammer

Name:	Ig12528.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1024718  
Old 09-04-2008, 12:26 PM
slawhammer

OK ..UpDate:I got the wheel collars done..also had to hand file the drive blocks to fit the wheels...I am waiting on a couple items
hope to be here today...So Just about ready to get it out and fire it up..I have a question for some of you out there...FG8483 Rear Diff
complete with gears..will that work for my firehammer or do I have to get FG8484 alloy case and put the firemammer gears in the case..
I can get by with the rear diff that's in the truck now..But want something stronger for the drive train..Have new 48 tooth diff gear coming
hope to be here any time...Already replaced the lay shaft ,transfer gear...so all gearing is new...Thanks for your input on the rear diff..
I will get the new wheels mounted soon..I want to get the engine tuned and running well first...
Thanks for your replies and those who have been helping on my project....AKA Slawhammer
Old 09-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Lars from Norway

The FG 8484 is the same as FG 8483/05 except from not having the bevelgears included.I'm not sure if the gears from FH are physically the same as FG andwill fit,so to be sure i would have ordered the FG 8483/05.If the bevelgears looks fine i think its unneccesary to order new ones(expensive stuff),it suddenly strucked me that i have an original FG-diff lying in my workshop,let me measure the bevelgears and count the # of teeth on them so you dont have to order them if they are similar to FG's if thats of interest

Is there something wrong with your diff,or do you just want to buy a new one to get a completely new drivetrain?
Old 09-04-2008, 02:45 PM
slawhammer

Lars: I found out the Fg8484 case will work ..I just have to use firehammer Diff gear set....The Fg8483 with the fg gears you have to buy the drive cups extra
firehammer drive cups will not work....The rear diff I have now is what came with the truck..It is blue in color like what tower sells...It is to my understanding
the FG8484 is a stronger alloy case....It present time I think the rear diff is ok..I am going to run what's there for now and get the Fg Diff later...That way all my
drive train will be new....Only other thing Is to replace the front steering knuckles with alloy..I hate plastic for holding bearings....Thanks for your Reply....
Thank you for all who have been helping in my project..AKA Slawhammer
Old 09-05-2008, 06:28 AM
slawhammer

Ok..Guys I need some help on this..I want to go alloy steering knuckles..I found Fg1411 item ..will that work?
You know this stuff that will fit the firehammer better than I do....Why I need your help...Going to get it out
today and fire it up...I should be ok from all the work I have done...Thanks for your help..AKA Slawhammer
Old 09-05-2008, 01:39 PM
slawhammer

No chance of running the firehammer..Rain Rain..Maybe in the morning...I will give you a preformance report...
AKA Slawhammer
Old 09-06-2008, 10:32 AM
slawhammer

Ok UpDate: Ups truck today..I got some new bling for the firehammer..Alloy Diff Supports,Alloy Rear UpRights,Dog Bones
Drive Cups,48 tooth Diff Gear,Internal Diff Gears..New wheel lock nuts and washers...I should have stainless steel diff sleeve
today in mail yet to arrive...My son's ordered a FG8484 alloy diff case yesterday...So Now the whole rear end will all be new..
This project all started About 30 days ago..It is ready to fire up and run with out this bling...Just like yesterday..RAIN,RAIN..
So enclosed pictures of the new bling..I will keep ya posted as to how it runs..Thanks to all who have replied to my project
AKASlawhammer

Name:	Db85445.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1027391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21290.jpg
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1027392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52886.jpg
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	1027393  
Old 09-07-2008, 06:07 PM
slawhammer

Ok..It was nice this afternoon..so my son and I took out your toys...His nitro and my firehammer...Mine started right up had to make a couple carb adjustments
after letting run at idle for 5 minutes to get warmed up...Made a couple passes on black top..adjusted the high side a little..Now off to the grass area..
Punched the throttle front end comes off the ground for about 5 feet digging the exhaust stinger in the grass...needles to say killed the engine...dug out the dirt
from stinger ..fired right up...so now is the time to check out the electronic 3rd channel kill switch..push the button..yeah instant kill of engine...fire right back up
now to check by shutting off transmmiter...yeah instant kill the engine..Fired right back up...Man I am happy as a pig in S**T..with the kill switch..works great..
so back on the grass making some high speed passes..wheelie on demand..couple times...this is just awesome...Running out maybe 100 yards..looks good
coming back the firehammer has problems...just rev's up not moving...Oh crap ..hope I didn't break another clutch spring..That high responce clutch is right now
on hooking up and go..Well looking the the firehammer I see the screws are missing from the back plate..I know I used blue lock tite on them..Maybe the engine
mounts moved..Haven't checked yet...I will be doing the whole rear end on monday or tuesday when the new alloy diff case gets here...You can bet RED lock tite
will be used this time...Only one worse is GREEN permanet fix there..will not come apart..So all in all about 1/2 tank of fuel ran today..But I am happy with that
cuz got too check out the electronic kill switch while driving the firehammer...Very good sign...It will all be better this next week....
Thanks for those who have replied to my project....AKASlawhammer
Old 09-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Lars from Norway

Nice to hear that the killswitch does as its told!But please,use the blue loctite to see if its holding the parts in place,its better to tight it up now and then(shall not be necessary when using blue),than have it locked forever.Easier for maintenance later on too
Old 09-08-2008, 10:23 AM
slawhammer

Lars: My Friend..yup the kill switch is great from the TX.. Every one who owns a 1/5 scale should have one for there unit
Yeah I hear ya on the blue lock tite..But I think Red is better for the engine mounts..I really don't need those getting loose
and stripping out the transfer gear or rear diff gear...Ther has too be a way to keep the engine from moving..
those mounts are not enough to keep the engine in place..I will figure out a support system..Thanks for your reply....
AkaSlawhammer
Old 09-08-2008, 12:15 PM
slawhammer

Ok Guys: Any suggestions on how the tire tread should be mounted on my firehammer?
Enclosed Picture...Thanks for your replies..AKASlawhammer

Name:	Sq46925.jpg
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	1028972  
Old 09-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Lars from Norway

Imagine that you roll the wheel downwards in the picture,that will be the forward-direction.I thinkLooks like it is "arrowing" that way
Old 09-08-2008, 05:56 PM
slawhammer

Lars: I was not real sure on the way they should be mounted..But if a set were to be mounted the other way for the rear
I would think you could do a wheelie pretty good...Speaking of wheelies..what are some of you guys using? Did you make them or
buy them?I am going too have to do some thing here soon..Thanks for your replies..AKA SLawhammer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.