Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New to the 1/5 scale RC world

Old 09-12-2008, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to the 1/5 scale RC world

I would never have thrown grease at anyone,but i can throw the idea
Both outdrive cups and the small gear axle inside are to be shimmed,but not too tight.There shall be a little play between them,thats why i asked you about the diff grease as this is thicker than cold sirupI used the shims that followed the diff i got,this was the complete set,found out i needed more shims,but i didnt got the time to wait for them so i used a soda can,haha!I cut the walls out of the can and made them look like a shim,and i put them between the housing and the shim so it dont wear out too quickly.It will be fine using the high temp grease for lubrication,but you wont achieve the blocking effect as the silicone diff oil will
Old 09-12-2008, 11:11 AM

Lars: Thanks for your reply..Think I will use The high temp grease I have on hand..Thanks for the heads up on the extra pop can shim idea..
I got the duratrax internal gear set.. looks like shims in the kit...Well I am at a work stoppage now any way...Stripped teeth on transfer gear..I think the engine moved.
also lay shaft damage...I had the grub screws lock-tited with blue..torqued the heck out of the screws...Well just goes to show what power the
engine has...I don't think I would want a locker rear end..I know I would tear some thing up for sure..Well the screen mod did it's job..some junk on the chassie
but not the engine...Good move on the mod...I can't think of a 6.5HP engine being used like "The Beast Engine" that dark soul sells...
I just ordered the parts..Thanks again..Enclosed pictures of the damage...I will keep ya up dated..All replies welcome..AKASlawhammer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62128.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1031707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72994.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1031708  
Old 09-12-2008, 05:26 PM

OK ....I got some new bling..Alloy steering knuckles..This if for CSP1971 who was asking about steering knuckles for firehammer
I will post a picture when mounted..I have a picture out of the package to enclose here..I ordered the new layshaft and teansfer gear
there are a couple items I can do before parts get here..Thanks for all the replies for my project..AKASlawhammer

Name:	Da83345.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1031975  
Old 09-12-2008, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You soon won't have any plastic left on that truck soon. It will look great when you are done. You need to make a list of compatable parts and part numbers for everything you put on.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:46 AM

David0666: Good to hear from ya...Now there's a idea you gave me about the cross over parts...I just might have to write that
stuff down for future use my self..cuz would really not remember where I buy the items from...Well my friend I thinkI got this figured out
where my son and I run our trucks it is pretty rough..I think I am getting chassie flex on the back by that tounge for the rear diff..
I was pushing on the back end and could see the gears move apart...I didn't check the engine mounts yet too see if there still tight..
If the engine screws are tight then I will have to figure out some kind of a brace for the under side of chassie..Maybe a steel plate
I will keep ya posted to what's going on..Good time too look at it now have rear diff out of chassie...Thanks for your reply...
All replies welcome..AKASlawhammer
Old 09-13-2008, 11:17 AM

Ok..Well I got another package in the mail...Yup more bling...Some new rear alloy upper arms..enclosed picture..
I will post a picture when mounted on the firehammer..Thanks for all your replies to my firehammer project
All replies welcome...AKASlawhammer

Name:	Ca81023.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1032332  
Old 09-13-2008, 12:52 PM

I wish I got mail on Saturday's. No mail delivery here in Canada on the weekends. I am waiting for some stuff from DDM.[]
Old 09-13-2008, 05:40 PM

David0666: I am sure your postal people need a couple days off for a weekend..Let me know what you got from DDM..Post some pictures..
OkAs to where I am on the firehammer..I got the rear diff all compleate together.Man I tell ya you need 4 hands to do that with putting
in the shims..And get adjusted for any slop in the gears...The rear diff will have to sit 24 hours for the lock-tite to cure...I have a couple
more up grades to do..I will post pictures of those..Enclosed picture of Rear Diff ready to be installed..Thanks for your reply ..Keep in touch
to what your doing,,David0666...All replies welcome..AKASlawhammer

Name:	Rp43627.jpg
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	1032657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77340.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1032658  
Old 09-14-2008, 10:33 AM

OK..Here's where I am at on the firehammer..I got the alloy steering knuckles installed
Enclosed Picture of steering knuckle...I was going to install the upper arms ..but come too find out
I need to get a couple items to do that..I forgot to order when I got the rear upper arms....
All replies welcome...AkaSlawhammer
PS: I guess you would call them turn buckles..Any way need help to find a set....

Name:	Mk26982.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1033080  
Old 09-14-2008, 04:18 PM

Add some block of metal where you can mount the brakes Roger.
It reinforces the connection between the steering arm and your upright preventing the steering arm to bend easy on impact or when thumbling over.
Didn't have the time to check your full thread, you have quite a long one ...

Cheers M8
Old 09-14-2008, 04:38 PM

Apache: Thanks for the tip on the metal block..I will see what I can come up with....In the morning...
All replies welocme..AKASlawhammer
Old 09-17-2008, 05:21 AM

Hey id ya miss me?? Storm can thru last Sunday ,twisters took out main electrical power..just came bat on this morning WED..Yup 3 days..Bad deal..
I did another Mod to the firehammer ..I hope to get pictures taken today and posted...All replies welcomeAKASlawhammer
Old 09-17-2008, 07:19 AM

Ok..... I did a under chassie mod...There is way to much flex ..That is what is stripping the transfer gear..
I used 1/8 x 1 1/2 x 7 1/2 strip of metal...JB Weled it to the bottom..I still have to drill out for bolts & nuts
I will keep ya up dated on the progress..also have to modify the steering knuckle..I will post pictures of that..
ALL replies welcome..AKASlawhammer

Name:	Pn36645.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	1034991  
Old 09-17-2008, 08:51 AM

Hello!Yes,i have been wondering were you have beenYou say you have too much flex,that made me start thinking: Do you have [link=http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=1514&ls=e&nc=1221 658729-1524&rubnum=&artnum=fg_6071&file=&gesamt_zeilen=0T suche6071]this one[/link] on your car?I have seen it in some other pics on your car in previous posts.I reckon its quite similar to FG,so i link to FG partsI have also seen this braces in adjustable versions to bring the diffgear closer to the layshaftgear
Old 09-17-2008, 10:11 AM

LARS: Good too hear from ya..Yup ..I have that rear brace that you posted a link for..I also was having a problem with
the screw in the engine mount coming loose at that point..I made a stainless steel post from a cap screw..Cut the head off..I then used JB Weld and for that
post and use a lock nut.. now I should be ok for that...I am working on engine blocks for a stop ..too keep the engine from
moving back..Or too the fuel tank...I also have a couple Ideas to make a couple braces for the engine as well..When I get done there will be no movement
I don't know if that's good or bad..The worst that will happen is rip up the internal gears in the diff..Thank you for your replies..All replies Welcome..
AKASlawhammer
Old 09-17-2008, 10:32 AM

Looking forward to see how you did it with the engine blocks.I thought tou maybe was missing the brace there,thus causing the flex
Old 09-17-2008, 05:42 PM

Lars: I got the chassie mod all done..I got the new lay shaft and new transfer gear installed..
I was rooting in my big box of parts and forgot I ordered a different alloy small engine mount
Well looking at the new mount ..You can drop in 4 mm lock nuts..That is great ..No more stripped
threads... Got to love it...I have to do a minor steering knuckle mod yet ..Also see what I am going
to do about engine movement....Thank's for your reply..All Replies welcome...AKASlawhammer
Old 09-17-2008, 09:59 PM

Ok..I did a little mod for the steering knuckle..was suggested by apache to use some thing so not to damage or break the arm off..
What I did was take think ..3mm screws and threaded in the where the brake block would go..2 screws for each knuckle,,To cover the
holes and too also use for a binder support..I didn't come up with any metal..I used epoxy putty..you knead it ..and then form it to where
you want to use it....When I do get front brakes I can remove the epoxy and the old screws and that way the holes are protected from
epoxy..I have it in rough form..So I will smooth it out in the morning..Enclosed picture..What do ya think ? Will it work?Let's hear it..
All replies welcome ..AKASlawhammer

Name:	Nl29016.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	1035340  
Old 09-18-2008, 08:59 AM

The epoxy block will definately help, though I think I piece of aluminium would have been better for reinforcement it is better to have this then nothing on that spot.
Cheers m8
Old 09-18-2008, 09:13 AM

Hey Apache: yes ...your right about a alum block there..But for the monent The Hard epoxy will work..
I will change it out at a later time..Right now I would like to at least run my firehammer..It has been
almost 2 months and not more tha 10 minutes here and there..maybe 30 minutes total run time..
I get this firehammer I can run for now ..then when the snow flies will be the time to make it better
Or even by then front brakes...So it is some what protected...Thanks for your reply..All replies welcome..
AKASlawhammer
Old 09-18-2008, 10:34 AM

ORIGINAL: slawhammer

I have to do a minor steering knuckle mod yet ..
When i read the word "mod" i think about removing material,but this is the oppositeThat is one smart modThe screws you screwed in the brake block holes doubles as a rebar for the epoxy putty too
Old 09-18-2008, 02:56 PM

Lars: Good To Hear from Ya..I have to give credit too RCU Member Apache on putting some thing there..He suggested metal block..
But I do not have and material or even a drill to use..Few basic hand tools is all..So the epoxy Idea was a stop gap
measure for now..Yes your right about a rebar effect for the epxoy putty to bond to..I also wanted to cover the holes
for when I do get the front brakes...This is just a temp fix...some thing to protect the arm from breaking off of hit hard..
Well today I spent most of the day putting it all back together..almost done..Time get away from it and have coffee ...
Picture to be posted shortly...Thanks for your reply..All replies welcome...AkaSlawhammer
Old 09-18-2008, 08:07 PM

OK..As promised about 3 weeks ago..The big tires are on the firehammer...I spent about 8 hours today rebuilding the beast..
I have to adjust the wheels for toe and camber...I had to cut some of the bumper that had lights..the tires were hitting...
Not sure if have to cut the front fender wells or not yet...Every thing is lock-tited ..that will cure over night..
I should be able to take it our for a run in the morning..After all these mods now...Enclosed 3 pictures..All replies welcome....
AkASlawhammer

Name:	Ay74412.jpg
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	1035823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24937.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1035824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21300.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	1035825  
Old 09-19-2008, 06:41 AM

Now come on guys..I figured some one would say some thing about those Fg Big Monster Tires on this firehammer..
I do thank all those people who have helped with this project and those's who have read this thread..
I hope some of my bad luck and what repairs I have done will help some body out with there RC Unit..
Yes ..a lot of you guys have made this old man a happy camper now..Never too ols too play with toyz..
All repiles welcome ..AKASlawhammer...
Old 09-19-2008, 09:11 AM

Need some pics without the lid! Looks nice so far. I have those same tires on mine. I hope to have mine back running next week, doing some cosmetic updates and a small engine mount.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.