Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New to the 1/5 scale RC world

Old 12-11-2008, 06:56 PM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to the 1/5 scale RC world

Well another rain day here in clod hopper land....As to the firehammer..Been making modifications to the roll bar support
system for the FG Pro beetle shell....Little cut and fit to make for a strong tough support for any roll overs.....I got it about
half way done......Got conformation the paint I ordered has been shipped.......Research Rc Item..E-mail ya know ....
Looks like I will have paint before a air compressor....Got to work on getting the beetle shell taped off..ready to paint......
And in between christmas things to do for the miss's.......All Replies Welcome..AKASlawhammer
Old 12-12-2008, 11:13 AM
slawhammer

Here we are once again in clod hopper land..kinda glum looking day out ..some what cold....As by some of the posts above....
I am working on a support system...I am going to call this a proto type roll bar and structure for now...I am almost done...It all has to be tested out
to see how reliable it will be for toughness......So the firehammer will be sitting for a bit..That way I can get the body painted ....I am sure with out the
body mounted I would damage some mount posts.....This support system is for the Fg Beetle shell only.....For any other body to be used it will have to
the mfg basic roll cage and support bars again....So that's where I am at for the moment.....All Replies Welcome..AKASlawhammer
Old 12-12-2008, 12:58 PM
slawhammer

Ok,,,, For those who have been here in clod hopper land before..I have a couple preview pictures for now....This is all I am
going to show..The support system is not solid yet..The FG Beetle shell is just sitting there......
I will have more pictures later.......ALL Replies Welcome...AKA Slawhammer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54972.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	1088173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44688.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	1088174  
Old 12-12-2008, 06:27 PM
davido666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the bettle body. I would like to get that body. I can't wait to see your method for installing it on the frame. I can't wait to see the progress.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:26 PM
slawhammer

David0666: Hey my friend ..Long time no hear from ya....As you can tell I am still making modifications to the firehammer..
Well the Fg bettle shell I hope will turn out nice....Once I get it painted up...I am no painter..Ok here are a couple more sneek preview pictures....I had to change the rear
support to use a wing...From the the firehammer buggy support system..........I will post more pictures.....I am still building the support system.....It all reminds
me many many years back of tinker toys..to build things with.........Ok it's getting late and I am tired of looking it the firehammer for now....
I have a couple Ideas for the wing as well.....Oh Yeah ...you will love it....All Replies Welcome......AKASlawhammer

Name:	Ge94777.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	1088486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23873.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	1088487  
Old 12-13-2008, 11:33 AM
slawhammer

Hey David0666: Well seeing how you are curious about the firehammer progress..And I know there are other people as well
That have been reading this thread....I have a few more sneek preview pictures for ya.............Now I am sure there are other
people out there with firehammer RC Units as well as my self........Like I mentioned this is for the FG BEETLE SHELL ....ONLY this and
nothing else will go on this firehammer for body.....To do another body ..you would have to go back to orig..roll bar & support system...
I could have used some suggestions along the way form you guys out there...But I have it figured out for my personal application....
Some of you guys may have different ideas for your own firehammer.....Firehammer MT or the Firehammer Buggy......................
I have the Firehammer MT...and this has a wider chassie plate.....So this is for this Firehammer MT application...................
So if you have suggestion or comments ..I would like to hear them.....It's all about sharing different ideas with each other......
Enclosed pictures of progress.........All Replies Welcome....AKASlawhammer

Name:	Kh17500.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1088778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85077.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1088779  
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Lars from Norway

You are getting there!Looking forward to see the end result,and the colour and painting
Old 12-14-2008, 05:59 PM
slawhammer

Lars:..Good to hear from my friend far off....Yup like I mentioned a whole new look for my firehammer...The whole support
system and roll bar is decated to the Fg pro beetle shell only.......No other body will fit the firehammer using that beetle body shell....
For a different body shell ..I would have to go to mfg orig support system........Easy to do ..I think like 6 bolts used in the hold the support
system to the chassie....Well now as to painting.....I never have painted one of these shells from the inside out before.......I have done
plenty of air brush work in the past years...from plastic models to mototcycle helmets...But all that is donr on the out side surface.......
So this is my first attempt for this kind of painting.....So Don't laugh to much at my first time doing so....................
But for the next few days the firehammer will be put on hold.......Miss's say's i need to help with the christmas baking and candy making....
My work area is the kitchen.......so painting and food won't god to well together.......Time for a rest on the firehammer any way...After christmas day
I can get back to the swing of things on the firehammer........This time of the year the miss's like's so I guess I can give her my time for now....
She does not ask for much and supports my hobby........Good to hear from ya.....Happy Holidays your way....All Replies welcome..AKA Slawhammer
EDit: spelling
Old 12-14-2008, 08:36 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

Had our first snow this year!!!
Time to buy some chain for the tires.
Im in the kitchen as well making treats for the neighbors.
Merry Christmas to all.. I hope we all get more toys.. we big boys need them.
I think the new E-flight mini heli will be mine soon.......
Chuck.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:42 AM
teamchrome

OK pics of chains..
Untested as of now.. testing tommorow.
These are on the Baja but I will also try them on the Hammer.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:09 AM
slawhammer

Teamchrome:..Yeah had snow last week here..about 3 inch's ,,but gone now due to rain....Projected forcast this week is rain.....
high in the 50's.......I don't look for any more snow till christmas time..........
Looks like those chains on the baja should work out ok........

I got a question for you people out there..It was suggested I should get a JETPRO Monster Beetle Pipe for my firehammer now
as this pipe you would not have to trim the body shell..direct fit.......I am using a DDM DOM Pipe now.......Looks like will have to trim
the shell some for it to fit......

I should have gotten a airboat..That would work in any weather........Or buy a Snow Cat for winter.......

Good to hear from ya...don't eat to many christmas goodies.............All Replies Welcome...AKASlawhammer

Edit: Side Note..As to the chains where the nubs are ,,next to the side wall..I think you going to have to put cross links there
to tie them together...On the outer edge..to keep from shifting.. the chain together or bunching up on ya......Just a thought......
Old 12-15-2008, 10:50 AM
slawhammer

Well I got some eye popping paint for the firehammer....I got it just about ready to paint...All taped off.. for multi colours.......
I never did get a hold of my friend who has my air compressor..He must have gone to Fla. for the winter........Guess I will have to buy
a cheap little compressor .......I should wait it out..think the miss's plan's on getting me a compressor for christmas.......
Other wise I think I have it pretty well done for the all new look.....All Replies Welcome...AKASlawhammer
Old 12-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Lars from Norway

Make sure that you degrease the body well before painting (and maybe during if you have touched some of the surfaces by an accident)DO NOT use silicone based fluids for that.Guess you know that,as you are familiar with paintingPut on thin layers(many thin are better than few thick) and try to stick to a easy paintscheme with not too heavy masking work,more masks=more that can go wrong
Old 12-15-2008, 01:13 PM
slawhammer

Lars: Hey my friend......I used denatured Alc to clean the inside of the shell...Blue painters tape works best for masking....
I am going to change colours from my orig thought....All is just on a paper design at the moment...Nothing been applied
to the shell...As I am waiting for a air compressor... Yeah I know about fogging on paint..or to be almost dry on contact...
Be pending on colour depth on the light coats......6,8, 10, coats,,,Backed up with a light colour to make the colours stand out.....
Final to be... base clear coat for protection...From chipping or from any fuels ...........Just I have never done one of these's
from the inside out is all......Thanks for the reminders.....So I will post pictures..Of coruse you knew that..............
Happy Holidays to you my friend.......All Replies Welcome....AKASlawhammer
Old 12-15-2008, 07:39 PM
teamchrome

The chains work great in the snow and ice!!!!!!
You gotta try it..
I used 7ft of chain and wraped it around the wheel and that left me with about 3 inches left over.
Great fun!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:01 AM
slawhammer

Teamchrome:...sounds like you had a good time.....Did you have to modify the chains?.....
I have made studded tires before from a worn down tire.....That was for winter use then....got a couple
seasons from them that way....Right now my firehammer is on hold ......I need to get the Fg Pro beetle shell done for it....
I guess I could chop the old truck style body..into a buggy front wrap....seen a couple of those..Think 1 was yours and
think B-T-B was the other in a different forum......I will have to look into that in the morning..............
Can you get a video clip throwing snow?..Like rooster tails......Glad you had a good time my friend..........
All replies Welcome... AKASlawhammer
Old 12-16-2008, 08:35 AM
slawhammer

Ok...I have been looking into different exhaust system.....so there will be very little trim work to be done on the Fg
beetle shell.....I got suggested that I should use the following.......ProJet V2, ProJet Monster for Marder application,,,
which is to fit the firehammer....New JetPro Beetle Pipe.....It present time I have DDM Rear Dominator Pipe...Body seems to be tight on the
beetle shell....I was advised it would not hurt the shell and melt the body................
Can I get some ideas on this from some you you guys......I know there has to be someone who is using the beetle shell on there RC Unit.....
And what are you using for your exhaust system?

All Replies Welcome......AKASlawhammer
Old 12-17-2008, 11:07 AM
slawhammer

Here we are once again in clod hopper land...dark cloudy dreary day out..forcast ia a rain/freezing mix......
As to up date on the firehammer........I order some more paint for a eye dazzling effect.....for the multi paint
colours to be applied to the FG Beetle Pro shell.......The family members are in... Wow that will look cool when done......
It all comes down too.. I am the one to be satified with the end results.........Yes I will be posting pictures to share this with you....
I am going to hold off till after christmas day.....By then all my stuff should be here that was ordered..and to see if the
family got me a air compressor for christmas gift.....If not I can get 1 ordered......There is nothing in this town for hobby use..
The only hobby store closed down.......So what I will get is a small portable airbrush compressor......I don't need a big shop type
air compressor...I have no room for that.....All my work is done at the kitchen table........So makes things interesting to do hobby work
around family members..and try to eat at the same table.......Most of my work is done in the evening....Like 6 Pm till wee morning hours....
So there you have what's going on with the firehammer...........All Replies Welcome........AKASlawhammer
Old 12-18-2008, 10:33 PM
slawhammer

Back once more in clod hopper land....Today was just a cloudy day 28* degree's out...Projected Rain next 3 days
turning to snow........I don't know if any of you remember I was looking for a radio tray or I mentioned that a few post back
maybe a page or so.....Well today I got 1 in the mail....From another RCU Member...Many thanks to you....Very thick alloy....It needs to be finished
out yet...Mount holes for Throttle servo and mount holes to be made... so can attached radio tray to the chassie...But will have to be
polished up....to make a real good shine.......Enclosed picture of unfinished radio tray.....I will keep ya posted as to the painting of the
Fg Beetle Shell.......All Replies Welcome....AKASlawhammer

Name:	Tq48811.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1092401  
Old 12-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Lars from Norway

Thats a nice radioplate,but i would have missed the 3rd servo mounting hole where the radiobox is
Old 12-19-2008, 11:53 PM
slawhammer

Lars:..I hear ya on 3rd servo hole in the plate...I can make a adapter cover for that ..I want to use a 1/4 scale servo
there for my brakes.Remember I was talking about the TS-80 servo....Mega Torque...24kg.......I am planning on
going hydro brakes next..So will need that servo......Thanks for the reply ..Good to hear fro ya...........
All Replies Welcome....AKA Slawhammer
Old 12-22-2008, 08:25 AM
slawhammer

Cold here in clod hopper land.....5 below Zero....Throw another log on the fire......Not much going on with the firehammer..
I am waiting for some supplies to get here I ordered last week.....Now for some one wanting to get a brand new firehammer
(NIB)..New In Box ..I see Tower Hobbies has a great deal..Lowered there retail price from $899.00 to $539.00 ...Now take off the discount
of another $50.00 ...That's $489.00 USD......You can figure that $50.00 discount..would cover your shipping anyway...Still a great Price...
I have the Fg beetle Pro Shell waiting to be painted....Guess that will wait now until the christmas week is over with...Look's like
maybe the coming weekend to get the shell painted....Dec 27th or 28th....Still have the Radio Tray to work on yet anyway.....
All Replies Welcome....AKASlawhammer
Old 12-22-2008, 07:27 PM
teamchrome

Im really sick of snow!!!!!
Im home all week and have no way to play in this heavy thick snow. They called it a Blizzard here.. It may have been, all I know is there is alot of the white crap here...
Roger this is the kit form, O niel bros I was talking about..
Im still not sure about this claim of thiers of no porting is needed.. but they do suggest it.
Who knows it might work great. If so im in for one..

http://www.oneillbrothersracing.com/..._reed_kit2.htm
Old 12-23-2008, 12:16 AM
slawhammer

Teamchrome: I Read about the bolt on reed valve by o'neail brothers.....I think the tiny hole in the cylinder is blocked by the
hardware for the reed valve..when you first get the pulse for the carb to work the diafram for the fuel flow...So now with this bolt-on-reed valve
you have a giant pulse that the reed causes...will suck in more fuel/air mixture ...thus going to make for smoother bottom end as well as mid range..
Reed Valves works best with head that had some porting work done to the intake for smoother flow of fuel and air mixture....And you want to have porting work done
to the exhaust port to get rid of the burnt exhaust......Hope I explained this correct....Maybe some one else has some thing to add too this......

As too the weather here..projected 50* degrees and rain..next 2 days....I am just waiting for christmas to be over with...
All Replies Welcome...AKASlawhammer

Old 12-24-2008, 08:09 AM
slawhammer

Here it is christmas eve day in clod hopper land...50* degrees out and raining.......After much reading and discussion on engines
to rebuild or buy new....I have researched many a threads ..both pro & con's.....As some of you my know from this thread.. I have a
CY29CC billet head engine...There are as many bad things as good about them......I have decided to rebuild the top end....
Going with O Neil Brothers...28.5CC Race Ported top end..with 2mm stroker...& 813 carb....This set up will give great torque..at low
and mid range..will loose some RPM's on the top end...But I am looking for the grunt on lower end.....Possiable going with some wheel
adapters..for different wheel and tire combo ..in different area's of use...dirt,grass,asphalt.....Slicks for asphalt...Knobs for dirt
The new beetle Pro Shell will give the firehammer a better look for year 2009.....Working out the colours for the shell...some thing to make it be seen
at a distance of 300yards away.....Miss's wants Orange & White..The Boys want..Red,Yellow Blue & white..All fluresent bright eye popping colours....
Well there ya have it..That's the lastest on the firehammer....I am still open for suggestions on colour....I hope to be painting this coming sunday....
All Replies Welcome...AKA Slawhammer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.