Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New to the 1/5 scale RC world

Old 07-16-2008, 12:30 PM
hellya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to the 1/5 scale RC world

some recivers only allow 4.8 volts to go through them to your servo(like a voltage reg) less power and speed ......thats when you use the Y harnes to bypass the reciever allowing the full 6v to go to your servo.

the spectrums allows the full 6 volts to go to your servo
Old 07-16-2008, 12:34 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

hellya's got the Y-harness answer...With Spektrum receivers they pass 6V to the servos, so no need for the Y-harness.

That will save you a few bucks and hassle.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:53 PM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hellya and Kengen: Thank you for your replies..I was looking for my specturm manual..seems to be misplaced at the moment..or my son has it..he also uses sperctum radio syatem..
come too think of it we got his unit used and no manual came with it..I know he wanted too program three different trucks to use the same radio system..Many thanks again to you guys ..
In fact to all the people who have been helping me on my firehammer...Roger
Old 07-17-2008, 01:15 PM
slawhammer

OK...UpDate on the progress of the firehammer..I got just about every thing together..Have the electronic's left...Not sure with the kill switch..Maybe have to get a flywheel puller..Think by looking it the explode view ,coil and every thing is there...Oh yeah hind site..the recoil on the pull starter is very weak..also looks like plastic paws too grip the fly wheel...Any suggestions here ? ..I added a new
cone style air filter..some bling( outerware covers) But think air filter cover will melt..DDM pipe hitting it..Speaking of DDM pipe it also rubs the body..I know it will melt...Need more suggestions Please..
Pictures of covers....Thanks for all the help..Roger
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25492.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	992387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16339.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	992388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61373.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	992389  
Old 07-17-2008, 01:29 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

The pullstart cover is almost required if you run in grass. Otherwise all kinds of grass, straw, etc. will get sucked into the fan and deposited on the engine head cooling fins. Doesn't ususally cause any problems but it is a pain to clean out.

You may need to remove the pull start and wind more tension into it. One way I have found to do this (may be a better way) is to unwind the rope from the spool inside the pull start, wind the rope pully up a few turns until kind of tight and then while holding that tension, wind the rope back around the pully. Be careful not to break the plastic post that guides the rope onto the pullly. There is a notch in the pully that you can slip the rope into so that it can pass by the post easily. I broke the post on my pull start so I had to drill a small hole through where the post used to be and then put in 4mm bolt to act as a new post.

Whatever you do try to avoid taking the pull start apart unless you absolutely have to. Behind the pully is a torsion spring, It is a pain in the neck to get it reinstalled correctly.

Anybody got any better solutions for adding more recoil tension to a pull start?
Old 07-17-2008, 02:22 PM
davido666

I got rid of the cone shape filter and put on the duratrax two stage filter. I found the seal was not that great for the filter and material was getting around the filter at the spot it joins the carb. I like the idea of and oil and foam filter better. Here is where I take my hummer. Watch the video and see how dusty it gets with the sand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6rmxVtBtAU

Name:	Bz78706.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	992411  
Old 07-17-2008, 02:35 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: kengentry5000

.Anybody got any better solutions for adding more recoil tension to a pull start?

Unnot the pull handle ....now wind the spring a couple turn then feed the string back through the hole on the cover......wind up more tension
Old 07-17-2008, 03:29 PM
slawhammer

David066: Nice vid..wish I had a place like that to run..I have a 400 yrd.. any given direction..mowed golf course area to use..As for the air filter that's what was on this fire hammer only the blue case was missing..and the base was cracked and broken ,,so tossed in trash...I have had cone style on dirt bikes in the past..I will give this a try..If does not work out I will get the duratrac filter..
Hellya: oh.. I will try to wind up the spring..If all else fails I will get a new complete assb..I will try and do the electronic's in the morning...Right now is non think..med's kickin in...
Oh by the way my son had the spectrum manual....I am going to down load a manual for him....Many thanks to you guys in the forum..you just make my day for me..You really have no idea.. as to I look forward form your input..Really excited about getting this fired up and running....Roger
Old 07-18-2008, 10:42 AM
slawhammer

Ok guys: New Up Date..I got all the electronic's done and working..had trouble with the brake linkage hitting the DDM pipe I even moved the rod in too apply the brakes till it hit the choke lever....At the moment I have the pipe off the truck..
Trying to see if I can space the rear bracket...So for now it is on hold with the exhaust..Mite have too get a X-Can...At the moment I am replacing the fuel lines and klinker...the fuel lines look soft and hair line cracks....Getting close to firing it up and running it...Think I will have to get a fly wheel puller to install the electronic kill switch...Maybe tonight or in the morning the firehammer will be running..
Heck.. I don't even know if the engine will start..So That's where I am it...Thanks for all your help in the forum...Roger
Old 07-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Lars from Norway

Dont give up on the pipe just because the brakerod is fouling it,a pic would be nice here to see the problem,i cant imagine it in my head right now.
What do you mean by a fly wheel puller?A tool to take the flywheel off?In that case,you dont have to take it off to fit the switch.Also i would have installed the switch after the fire up and when you know everythings ok,so you dont get problem with it cutting the ignition when its not supposed to,and you pull the starter like a madman with no results
All the best with the fire up,hope it fires easy!
Old 07-18-2008, 02:49 PM
slawhammer

Ok ..Another dumb question...On the steering..it seems to be truned too the right when truning on power..Now how the heck do you make adjustmrnts on the linkage
looks like a servo saver..Do you have to take out the electronic's tray?Looks like a real bear too me...Not sure how to go about this...I got the fuel lines replaced...See pictures
Thanks for your help...Getting close too firing up this beast...Roger

Name:	Yw68316.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	993033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59594.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	993034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34770.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	993035  
Old 07-18-2008, 03:00 PM
hellya

always turn your Trans on first.... then power up your radio box/reciever... that will center your servos... attach to the horns to the servos after they are centered

Also make sure your trans trim is centered before turning on the vehicles power
Old 07-18-2008, 03:05 PM
davido666

To adjust the steering zero out the transmittor first for steering. The put the truck on its back and you will see a hole through the frame that lets you access the servo horn screw near the front. Remove the screw and pull the horn off. Then turn on the receiver on and allow the steering servo to center itself. Once the servo centers itself push the horn back on with wheels aligned straight. Do not worry if the wheels are not perfectly straight because you will fine tune the servo with the transmitters setting. If you are using the DX2 use the red button near the trigger the B one and that will set your end point to give you the max steeing, 100 percent on it will give you a max steering in both directions.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:07 PM
slawhammer

Hellya: Yes I understand that with Power up Trans first..Same as nitro world..Maybe this thing took a hit and knocked it out of adjustment...I will try too pop the arms off and manual set the steering stright
and see how the arms line up with the servo..I was not sure on this unit how too go about it..I guess same as doing the nitro stuff..Only this is bigger..Thanks..Roger
Old 07-18-2008, 03:13 PM
slawhammer

David066: Ok I was unware of the hole on the under carrage.. for the steering servo ..I will be doing this shortly..I am using a DX3 ..I just add the firehammer as second model..I still can run my nitro truck..
But from every thing I have been reading gas is the way too go...I may end up selling my nitro stuff...
Thanks again..Roger
Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 PM
davido666

I have both nitro and the new 1/5 th but I still run both. Always nice to have a second vehicle when the other one is down and waiting for parts. I have 4 nitros and one gasser.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:48 PM
beer=food
Banned

Ok..I am new too this 1/5 scale,been in nirto world for over 50 years..mostly airplanes..But the last couple have been off/road trucks..yeah adjust all the time with temp or weather changes to keep running.

Hi welcome, you make me feel young ! 50 years, LOL, makes my 25ish look like kinnda garden !
The baja tyres dont last long, just thought ld lob that in there !
Yea yea you gettin an fg, my bad, anyways welcome to the place where, most the old school drivers end up, giant scale beasts !
Old 07-18-2008, 04:39 PM
slawhammer

David066 & Hellya: Thanks.. I got the steering adjusted...yeah it took a hit also..had to adjust some linkage..St trim is 8.. I can live with that...Throt: adjusted ok full open and close...
Got the brake adjusted..linkage was pinched in the exhaust bracket...Have now to try and get the DDM Pipe on correctly...Only thing left is the pinion & spur gears ..and electronic kill switch...
Beer=Food: Now is you have read this forum you will see that I am 64 years old..and recovering from a heart attack....If not for the love of this hobby to keep me going I have no idea what i would have done
..So from what I have read about these gasser's once you got one you won't run nothing else..Any way I am excited about this firehammer..May not be much ,But it's a start for me to this world..
Many many thanks again to you wonderful people who have helped me...I am sure it makes you feel good to know your help is much needed...Roger
Old 07-18-2008, 08:16 PM
slawhammer

Ok ..I got every thing ready to fire up...Waiting on a couple of items ..but that can wait....Well I check the spark plug..good thing..sooty black..Think on the rich side..
I Installed a new plug..I went too DuraTac and smartech..Looking for the settings on the carb needles...Nothing found...So I checked both needles to see what they were from orig owner..
wow..Turned in 3 full turns on the low side...2 1/2 on the high side in ,,no wonder it is black and sooty...Not sure of the settings..so took a wild guess..like the weed wacker..
Low Side: 1 1/8 turn out High side: 1 1/8 turn out..seems like a good place too start....Only thing I found in the manual on line in duratrac was use 25:1 break in and go to 40:1 after that..
on the 2 stroke oil..No Carb adjustments..The carb is a Wab.....dah... 688 can't think right now....So I want too fire this up in the morning...Unless there's aproblem with the engine....
Thank for your help..Roger...yeah..it's been a long week for me..But I am ready..
Old 07-18-2008, 09:21 PM
davido666

My book for my hummer says 1 1/4 for low speed and 1 1/2 for the hispeed. You don't want to start off to lean. You could damage the head and piston. A little rich is better then to lean.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:09 AM
slawhammer

ORIGINAL: davido666

My book for my hummer says 1 1/4 for low speed and 1 1/2 for the hispeed. You don't want to start off to lean. You could damage the head and piston. A little rich is better then to lean.
David066: Thanks for the carb settings....I have no instruction manual...Well here it is 3AM can't sleep..I will reset the carb...thing I am going to use coleman camp fuel..40:1 What about adding fuel octane boost to the camp fuel?
seeing how this was used...Besides this firehammer has to sit in the house...Miss's won't like the gas smell....Hope this thing starts..only thing if it deosn't maybe coil not getting spark or a weak spark
then would have to set coil gap...Hmmmm I don't have a fly wheel puller....I tryed too find one on-line..But seems like there back order...Just like a little kid can't wait for morning too get here...
almost like christmas..too open presents..have to wait......Thanks again..Roger
Old 07-19-2008, 08:16 AM
davido666

My manual says not to use octane booster. I don't think it would help with these small 2 cycle engines. I have heard of using the coleman fuel but I hear the tuning is different for the carb. You may want to start with gasoline to start it and get it running and once you know that, switch it to the coleman fuel. You don't need a puller to set the coil gap. Just remove the pull start and motor cover and you will be able to adjust the coil. I have seen a method of putting a business card between the flywheel and coil to set the gap. You only need the puller if you want to tear the engine down and rebuild it. I am running my engine at a 25 to 1 mixture and it has a lot of punch. The engine is still new so I might switch to 30 to 1 later. I don't want to replace the head and piston to soon. Remember these engines have a ring on the piston. To little oil can wear out the ring and head. Just use a good quality oil. I am running AMSOIL Synthetic.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:37 AM
slawhammer

David066: Thanks for your help...I retset the carb needles ..I will get some 93 octane gasoline this morning...I have a qt.of 2 stroke cycle oil by Valvoline..good quality...I will see
if there is a dealer for amsoil local...I live in a small town..There is a hobby shop ..but hell there never open..I can go there 3 different times in a day and ther closed...So I have to relie on line for things...
Too bad..for this town for any one that has a hobby....otherwise have to drive 50 miles to closest hobby shop..Ok on the coil setting..I will look later on that if the engine does not fire up.
The engine is used,,so I will go with 40:1 on the first go for me to use...I read that in dura trac manual on -line..To go 40:1 after break in..Ok then all sounds good...Yes I remember this engine has a ring for the piston..
Not like nitro ..no ring..that relies on a tight sleeve pinch..I have done a lota of engine & crank mods too nitro's....Many thanks again...I will let ya know how it goes...Roger
Old 07-19-2008, 05:47 PM
slawhammer

WHOOOOOOO...Holy crap batman..That thing is wild....Does it ever fish tail...I went with 32:1 on gas/oil mix.Reset carb to factory settings....filled gas tank...Pushed the prime bulb till seen gas..set choke closed..
Pulled the starter two times ..and pop..opened the choke..pulled two more times..RAHHHHHH RAHHHHHHHHHH it goes...Ok gave it a quick throt snap..both rear tires threw rooster tails...
Hammered it again ..this time the front wheels came off the ground......For a clone or what ever you want to call the firehammer I am very happy with it so far... Miss's yelled for me ..had to go in for
supper...So Only got too run a half tank of fuel...Just like a kid.. man that was fun...I have to make some small adjustments to to bring in the camber...Now here is a question for ya...when giving it throt
There is white smoke coming out exhaust for maybe a foot long...So do I lean the high side 1/8 turn? or the low side? The Idle is fine..I know what the plug should look like ..a nice sandy brown color..on the insolator..,
But I will have to run more fuel too tell..on the carb adjustment too get the correct color of plug...So I could use so suggestions here on this...I really do want to thank you all for your support on my firehammer....You all have made me very happy with this ..And you know a big smile on my face when it fired up and the exhaust noise...Yeah....Was so awsome....Can't wait till morning again..
Now I am hooked on these big giant gasser's...I will try to get a vid,,but on my camera I don't think has sound..not sure..Heee Hawwwww excited can you tell..Thanks again..Roger
Edit: for spelling...
Old 07-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Lars from Norway

I am almost as happy as you are!Very nice to hear that you have brought your FH to life,he he!Sounds like the engine is fine,at least it started!
Have to say congratulations with the maidenvoyage

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.