Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New to the 1/5 scale RC world

Old 07-20-2008, 11:33 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to the 1/5 scale RC world

Great News! I've been checking this thread every few hours waiting to read your updates. Over the last week or so this has kinda been like a bunch of doctors on a big conference call giving you instructions on how to deliver a baby

Congratulations!
Old 07-20-2008, 12:37 PM
hellya

Its alive!!!
Old 07-20-2008, 04:19 PM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lars:Hellya ,Kengen,David066...Yes it is one heck of a RC Unit.. I just can't tell you how much is all means too me ..for the wonderful advice and instructions you have given me from your own time.. from your projects you have..I may not have top shelf quality..But for me this is just great..I will enjoy what I have and use it...Maybe come this winter I can do some up grading to make better..
I have some minor adjustments to make..with the camber,steering to get too turn full each way till hit the stops..I have too redo the vent line in the gas tank..wants to suck fuel out..think the line is too far into the tank..Seems too smoke a good deal on throt responce...May be have to adjust the high side needle..Not sure,never had a gas engine...oh long time ago dirt bike..Speaking of dirt bike this firehammer
sounds just like it,,with that DDM Pipe..I will check the spark plug after this tank of fuel..I can use some advice here if you could please..Thanks again so much...Roger
EDIT: For Spelling
Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 AM
slawhammer

OK....It rained here all day sunday..So I did not get a chance to run the firehammer...Good thing it rained.. Had to go to a birthday party for the miss's daughter's 1 yr little boy,,I know if it were sunny out and I ran the firehammer the Miss's would have had the RED ***** for me big time... So better to keep peace in the family....So there it is monday morning..HEEEEEEHAWWWWWWW sunny day...So I fired up the firehammer ..Yeah 2 pulls RAHHHHHH RAHHHHH It goes..Now have to run out the 1/2 tank of fuel out to redue the vent line...I am limited to area here at the house ..But ran it in back yard and alley..
Having geart fun spinning the rear wheels throwing light wet dirt..making rooster tails...I have about a 30 too 40 foot circle aera..and in to alley..This firehammer is just awsome..Had a blast..The Nitro truck
will have to take a back seat for awhile...Way too much fun...Love it...the roar of the exhaust...Well I took me about 45 minutes to 1 hour to run firehammer out of fuel..limited to speed..Just had too burst the throt and let off..It is fast on responce...So I did not want too loose control ...Still learning how to judge turning right or left..I can see where the FG would shine on qualiy and from this experience with the firehammer the price would be well worth the money spent on the FG.....I did adjust the high side needle in 1/8 more..Not sure on the low side needle yet...I will look at the spark plug when cooled down
To see what color it looks like and go from there...Oh Yeah.. I happen to look at my big real truck...The little gasser threw mud all over the front grill and up on the windshield..But still had great fun..Now too all who help me in the forum...You guys are GREAT....Can't thank you enough....A couple more tanks of fuel well tell for sure..Just LOVE IT....Roger
UP DATE: This is a new plug CMR7H One 1 tank of fuel..Too me looks like I could lean out more..So do you suggest low side 1/8 in from factory?High side I took in 1/8 from factory..
I need alittle suggestions here please...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48464.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	994796  
Old 07-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's really great to hear Roger, nice work, that truck was in a pretty sorry state and you nursed it back to life. Go get it dirtier! And get some vid! [>:]
Old 07-21-2008, 11:47 AM
slawhammer

Foxy::: yes I know the firehammer was in very bad health to say..With your help and many others in this great forum I got the help Too bring it too new life...
Now I have to work out a few minor things..and I will try to get a vid for every one too see who helped me...I put up a picture of the spark plug to view..
Need alittle help on this Please...Roger
Old 07-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Foxy

Spark plug's pretty simple to read, if it's black sooty you're a bit rich, if it's grey and burnt, you're lean, should be nice chocolate colour. First lean the high out a bit (just a 12th of a turn, or 1 hour), and test it running up and down, concentrate on the sound, does it 'sound' fat? If so lean it a touch more. You shouldn't have to make many adjustments, and if you go too far, it'll be obvious as the car strains for fuel at high speed. Once you're happy with the top, move to the low speed, same small adjustments, this time you're listening to the idle. As you lean it out, the revs will climb, so control that with the idle. Again it's the sound you're listening for, and that torque pipe makes it quite easy as well, lean a touch until the idle cleans out. Your car should pull wheelies with that pipe when you gun the throttle, once you get to that point, you're golden. Run a couple of tanks and keep listening to the engine. Then read your plug again.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:20 PM
slawhammer

FOXY: Thanks I was not sure on the needle to set first..Got it..I will start with the high side..Oh do you make the adjustments with the engine running or off? Then restart it up again..And make your passes..I know you want the engine warmed up too make the adjustments..Yes I know I am looking for that nice light brown color..I am not too sure of the sound..I know not a blub blub sound like in a 4 stroking it like with nitro...I will keep playing with the adjustments...I know it will come around...Once there I want to switch over too camp fuel..As this reg petro really stinks..with the oil mix.
And Yes My friend going to get the firehammer dirty..That's half the fun of running it...Roger
Old 07-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Foxy

It is hard to describe the sound, but you will know it when you hear it, it's just, well, cleaner, crisper. Do it always with the engine warmed up and running.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:58 PM
slawhammer

Foxy::Hey my man..Hmmmmm maybe you could send a sound clip..That way I could compare sounds...Yeah but you may have a modded engine...
And not a 29CC engine....Roger
Old 07-22-2008, 01:59 AM
Foxy

Don't worry Rog, you'll get the hang of it, it's easier than nitro.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:45 AM
slawhammer

Foxy::yeah I remember doing Nitro way back when..I never thought would get the hang of it...And that was 50 years ago...I was about to quite ,mad,flustrated with my self..Then all at once
it just happened..Engines ran super fine...So I guess the same applys..just different power plant..Air,Fuel,Spark BAM running....just have too smooth out...Well no playing here today
Thunder boomers(Rain)...But I have some small adjustments to make anyway...I can see easy too burn up a gal fuel in a day...It's like you don't want too quite playing with the Rc stuff...
Sunny side up..dirty side down..let her rip....eat my dirt....Thanks all..Roger
Old 07-23-2008, 11:45 AM
slawhammer

OK..I have a question for ya..I noticed I have a cracked wheel..Will Fg wheels work on the firehammer? Also is there any thing like alloy or steel body posts made?
So far love the firehammer..Hope to get out later today..
Edit: Update;Due to the body hitting the DDM Pipe.. I had to trim the body...Also the OuterWares pre filter cover was on theDDM pipe..So
I went with a infant(baby) sock..I have used this for my nitro truck as a filter cover and works well..New Pictures In post.
Thanks for all your help...Roger
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41446.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	996193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82564.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	996194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90257.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	996195  
Old 07-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Lars from Norway

Aslong as it have an 18 mm wheelsquare the FG-wheels will fit!And all other makes too with the same square.
For the alloy body posts,i havent seen any.If it exist,i wouldnt recommend you to use it because then you will brake anything more expensive than the bodypostsStick to the originals in plastic!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:08 PM
davido666

Take a look at this post. These wheels are off ebay.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7737882/tm.htm
Old 07-23-2008, 04:19 PM
slawhammer

Lars: point noted on body posts..Thanks
David066: Now that is some awsome looking tires...I may have to go that route ..seeing how tower is out of most stuff..Lot of items not back in stock till Aug..
Still waiting on my engine mounts and alloy carrier...Other wise pretty good shape..Like I mentioned I seen a crack in 1 wheel..Cuz when I did get too run the fire hammer
I had pretty much open aera...So I think from orig owner was the damage...Ouestion: Does the glued tires hold up well or do you need to use beadlock?Lot more power
from these gas engines...Thought mite spin a tire on the rim...Thanks Roger
Old 07-23-2008, 05:14 PM
dazzza1978

In regards to tyres, I apply abit of superglue to the bead where it may be lifting and then overall with a smear of CA about every 3rd tank, just for the sake of it. I have never had a tyre spin on me (have had large scale car's for 4+ years), even when using a ported 26cc Zen, with a Jetpro pipe. With your wheel, I would just glue them up with araldite or super glue, and run them til they break. If it is just the rim, then get a small thin strip/piece of metal, aluminum, and screw it inside the rim. Just an idea, something I would do if my rim was busted.

In regards to tuning, I thought I had a nice tune would do wheelies everywhere and very fast, sounded nice and crisp. Then I thought I would just play a little and ended up fattening both my High and Low needles by less than an hour and holy crapola, it is now mental!!!!

I have not been able to check my spare parts barrel as yet for the gears and stuff I have laying around, but I will endeavour to do this as soon as possible, and pm you with I what I can spare.

My first Large car was a "traveller" buggy, I absolutely loved it. I would say that you will have plenty of fun with it yet, beofre you would even look to upgrade to something else.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:12 AM
slawhammer

DAZZ..I guess I call you mate in your side of the world..I have glued(CA) tires for nitro trucks..But was not sure with these's gas trucks...For there power...
As for the cracked wheel.. it is cracked at the hub where the metal band is for the square drive..I applyed a little ca glue to the crack and installed that wheel
on the front...Figure there is no torque on the front wheels...As for the gears..my son too care of that for me..He ordered metal gears..But thanks for your offer...
Now for the tune..I will just have to play with that......As for me being 64 yrs old..this mite by my last bling for RC Stuff..So I will make what up grades that would be best for this firehammer
I found out yesterday the doctors want too do more surgary on me again after some tests...This one is risky..50/50 chance to live..You make or you don't...So for the time being
I am going to hold off on the surgary and cope with my health for now..I want too enjoy this firehammer for a while....I went thru a lot before and I can do it again...this Radio control
stuff is what keeps me going each day for the love of this hobby...I am a fighter from the word go...so nothing is going to hold me back..I will run and play with this Radio control stuff till my last breath
..So with that said..I do welcome all the replies and suggestions on this 1/5 scale Radio control stuff...Every one has been a great help...Just love you guys ...Hope to get out today with the firehammer
said rain again...Thanks again for the help..Roger
Old 07-24-2008, 02:29 PM
kengentry5000

I haven't heard any reports of tires spinning from the factory glue job. My buggy tires won't budge.

Putting the cracked wheel on the front end is a good idea. I have the problem where I am rounding out the square hole on the wheels on the rears. When that has happened I move them to the front and have no more problems. For my case of rounding out the hole Elcon makes some reinforcements for rear wheels but I'm too frugal with my RC budget right now to buy them.

Sorry to hear about the new health issue. I hope you can cope without surgery right now. Any time my mother-in-law has to get surgery we hold our breath. She's in her late 60's and sometimes fragile but she has surprised us over and over again with her strength.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:03 PM
slawhammer

Kengen: Yeah I am a tough one..I told the doctors I was going to be around for a long time..Like a rose thorn ..keep jabing some body to let them
know I am still there....As too wheels ..I was wondering if could go to 23mm hex like on my nitro..I will have to check the shafton the nitro.. I think it is 8mm..With the
23mm hex there pinned..so would have to drill the stub shaft on the firehammer...Rain here again today..So hope to get out in the morning..Good old weatherman says..sunny rest of weekend..
I suppose one could get wheel adapters and use baja wheels...RC Budget for me is shot for the rest of the year...But that is ok..I got this where I can have fun now..Thanks again for your
reply...Roger
Old 07-25-2008, 11:19 AM
slawhammer

OK..I had the firehammer out today.. and tryed too adjust the carb...Started with the high side..it just seems to be bogging down and stumbles on taking off..Like carb is trying to clear out..I have made 1/8 turn in for leaning..at a time..and tryed too make high speed runs..
but no matter what I do still have problems..The engine is warmed up before making adjustments..I now went back to factory settings....
I have done some reading on carbs..I am not sure but maybe the walbro 813/with mod shaft ..might solve my problem...Any suggestions would be great or advice on the carb I have now
which is walbro 688 or 668 forgot too write the number down for ref..Going back out again later...Thanks Roger
Old 07-25-2008, 11:58 AM
kengentry5000

On running the 23mm hex adapters, many people have done this. A lot of those folks have trouble with tires coming apart from the extra forces. Some have had success with a specific tire while others have tried fiberglass tape on the inside of the tires as reinforcement.

I wouldn't mind trying to run Baja 5B wheels and tires but I haven't seen any adapters for them (I assume adapters are necessary).
Old 07-25-2008, 12:39 PM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kengentry5000

On running the 23mm hex adapters, many people have done this. A lot of those folks have trouble with tires coming apart from the extra forces. Some have had success with a specific tire while others have tried fiberglass tape on the inside of the tires as reinforcement.

I wouldn't mind trying to run Baja 5B wheels and tires but I haven't seen any adapters for them (I assume adapters are necessary).

http://www.ramtech-rc.com/product.sc...=5&productId=7
Old 07-25-2008, 01:05 PM
slawhammer

CSP1971: Thanks for the input on the wheel adapters...There is so many things a person can do with is stuff...I think I want to do some up grades with getting away from
the bearings being in plastic...If only do front spindels and later do the rear up rights later..Just too make better...Thanks for all the help on my firehammer..Roger
Old 07-25-2008, 02:57 PM
ryan@ddm

Slawhammer - got your email. This is a massive thread - what in particular would you like my input on?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.