Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FS or Smartech

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:57 AM
gsx1100g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS or Smartech

Hi

I am looking at geting a 1/5 2 stroke or a 1/8 nitro if I cant afford a 1/5. So my choise is either a FS 1/5 2wd MT 30cc $760 AU or a 28cc Smartech MT $850 and then a 1/8 nitro if I cant afford either. Is there any diffrence in FS or Smartech Engine/Quality/Upgrades ? I f I get the FS what do I have to get replaced and what would it cost ? I have seen upgrades for Smartech from $1350 for alloy upgrade but 23cc and $1500 for alloy and radio which is a bit out of my budget but can afford a basic car then upgrade as I can afford it

Any help would be great as this will be my first real RC so I am a complet Noob

Thanks
Old 08-06-2008, 03:05 AM
mcspanners

Default RE: FS or Smartech

whatever you do DO NOT BUY FS RACING
i own the onroad car.

parts ive replaced

engine
electronics
gears

plus many other loose screws,gas cap doesnt fit etc
Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 AM
bentley marshall

ORIGINAL: mcspanners

whatever you do DO NOT BUY FS RACING
i own the onroad car.

parts ive replaced

engine
electronics
gears

plus many other loose screws,gas cap doesnt fit etc
i have a fs car allso they are not that bad ......all the need is a better radio (same as the smartechs do) get a alloy gear carier and steel gears and you wont have much more probs with the fs
you will find that they will both have things that will need replacing theres no way to get round that unless you spend 2k on a truck that will prob still need things replacing after time ...

Old 08-06-2008, 05:02 AM
JQuest64

Never drove the Smartech but own and FS. The FS has been a blast. Like Bentley said you will have to invest in some hop ups to improve the reliabilty, like the gears and carrier. Parts are pretty easy to find for the FS as well.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:39 AM
gsx1100g

Thanks for replying I got 2 young girls so all this is out of my budget cant use the old birthday/xmas budget and I dont have a lot of time for tuning (nitro) so I would like to get the 2 stroke over nitro. How much roughly would alloy gear carier, steel gears and a radio cost ? what radio would you recomend ?
Old 08-06-2008, 06:11 AM
JQuest64

My FS, with all the upgrades to improve reliability ran me about $1,200 in total including the cost of the 4wd MT model.
I used a Futaba 3PM 2.4ghz radio and receiver (about $180) and I love it. For steering I went with Hitec 5475 Hi Torque 1/4 scale servo. I had a spare servo for throttle/brake but the stock servo is ok to start with. I replaced all the bearings in the truck and installed metal trans gears and alloy gear carrier. I also replaced suspension arm turnbuckles with MCD's turnbuckles.

I will say this, if money is a concern you may want to wait and save a while to enter the hobby. While I do love my FS there are other trucks out there that may cost a bit more but in the long run will cost you less.
The FS trucks are perfectly suited for those in the hobby already that have additional radio gear and such and do not mind some maintenance early on to get the truck to a fairly good point of reliability.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Between the 2 I'd definitely say smartech are in class above FS, but that is reflected in the price. Consider also the redcat cars.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:44 AM
ika

I am thinking Smartech , FS or Redcat. But I found Typhoon 2 http://madabout-rc.co.uk/trucks.aspx , free shiping .
As I am told Typhoon 2 is better that others. Can someone help to decide..
Old 08-07-2008, 04:10 AM
mcspanners

which ever truck you decide on, dont buy from oversize rc.
very slack service,doesnt answer e mails.
my car took 6 weeks to arrive !