Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

What pipe for my Baja 5B SS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:43 AM
B11TME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What pipe for my Baja 5B SS?

Hey all..Had my baja just over a week now and im loving it. I got a decent deal on ebay for my SS but it came with the pipe from the RTR kit..Yes the 26cc Fulie running on the pipe you get with the 23cc RTR []

Anyway i have been reading about and there is many different opinions on what pipe to get and its confusing the hell outa me so i thought i would try here and explain what i want out of my baja.

Ok to start off with im not in it for breaking land speed records but i would like decent speed if i needed it.

I love it when the front wheels want to try and lift of the ground from a stand still and i also like mid range power.

I dont want to lose alot of speed by buying pipe designed for grunt.

I have looked about and seen there is 4 pipes as i know of on the market for the baja and thats the samba, Jetpro, Dominator and X-Can.

Now i heard that the X-Can is designed for grunt and you will lose alot of top end speed and i also heard that the dominator is the other way around. I dont like the design of the samba so i guess if i cant be proven wrong that the Jetpro v3 is a decent choice?

Please help i keep hearing so many different things.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Wicked!!
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: What pipe for my Baja 5B SS?

I have the rear Dom and its a wicked Pipe. It was a night and day experience for me. The buggy now wheelies and will lift this 25LB monster right up.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:25 PM
DIABLOTAC78

[link=http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/LunatikEngineering/Dyno/?albumview=link]here[/link] is some test by lunatik
Old 08-12-2008, 04:43 PM
B11TME

ORIGINAL: Wicked!!

I have the rear Dom and its a wicked Pipe. It was a night and day experience for me. The buggy now wheelies and will lift this 25LB monster right up.

White kinda speed you getting from that? What is the exact setup you have?

I dont understand them graphs at all DIABLOTA78 lol...I would like someone to say get a dom its the best pipe about for low and top end but i kinda know i cant have both speed and grunt.

Like tell me this...What is the difference between the Dom and the jetpro v3? They look pretty much the same apart from shape.

Hey wicked you got any movies of your doing a wheelie and speed runs?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Mr Terminator

Thats the pipe i'm getting for my SS,the rear Dom is the nicest looking aftermarket tuned pipe imo,the X-Can looks great with 6" stingers and when they have carbon Dom silencers,I dont think theres a better look than that,You'd still get a decent enough top speed with the X-Can so i've been told plus its not as expensive as the others....
Old 08-13-2008, 02:22 AM
splcrazy

the TGN is the best performance freaking loud pipe out there nothing can beat it . but the ddm rear mount pipe is the popular and crash safe pipe out there , but i dont care im gonna buy another TGN baja pipe this time in nickel.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:47 AM
joester

Dude you cant hurt the tgn neither.
It's very well protected.
Even tarmac roll over cant damage it.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:59 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both the TGN and rear dom are vulnerable to hard bashing.

This is the order of power amongst the top pipes, from what I've seen, understand and have read...

1) TGN Race pipe (disadvantage ridiculous size, weight and noise)
2) Rear Dominator (disadvantage noise)
3) GBE (disadvantage very loud, very ugly, imo)
4) Side Dominator (disadvantage heavy and precludes use of choke/windows/body removal, also still quite loud)
5) Jetpro v2 (disadvantage loud)
6) Mielke side (disadvantage weak in a side impact, mount is weak. Many advantages though, including being the quietest pipe, the lightest pipe, and the best protected pipe. It also still allows use of body, choke and windows, and in my opinion is the best looking pipe mounted)

All these pipes will give you great power. In my opinion, the Mielke edges out the others, with it's numerous advantages, which is why I was running it on my car. A lot of racers use this pipe.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:13 AM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

oh i don't think its such a bad looking pipe...

Check out the prototype GBE rear mount, more of a racers pipe but will keep the balance of the vehicle more centered:

Old 08-13-2008, 01:42 PM
B11TME

ORIGINAL: Foxy

This is the order of power amongst the top pipes, from what I've seen, understand and have read...

4) Side Dominator (disadvantage heavy and precludes use of choke/windows/body removal, also still quite loud)
6) Mielke side (disadvantage weak in a side impact, mount is weak. Many advantages though, including being the quietest pipe, the lightest pipe, and the best protected pipe. It also still allows use of body, choke and windows, and in my opinion is the best looking pipe mounted)

All these pipes will give you great power. In my opinion, the Mielke edges out the others, with it's numerous advantages, which is why I was running it on my car. A lot of racers use this pipe.

Hey foxy...Why is the jetpro v3 not listed there? I dont care about noise really as i ride a honda nsr 125 with a race tuned pipe its pretty damn loud itsself and i love it Thing i really dont like it the side mount pipes i just think they look silly and in my eyes it looks like it would unballance the car say in a jump or going around a corner with more weight to 1 side. I love the look of the dom and i really love the look of the jetpro v3 but im worried now that its not in the list lol. It seems the rear mount dominator is the way to go really am i right?
Old 08-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Foxy

If you're not bothered about noise, the rear dom is the way to go. By the way though. Hanging a 2 kilo exhaust off the back of the car is what unbalances it . Side mount pipes are much better from a balance and jumping perspective. Rear dom is great for wheelies though. All that weight behind the rear axle.

Jetprov3 is not there cos I have no experience of it, no other reason. I doubt it's particularly impressive though, with that built in silencer.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:43 PM
DIABLOTAC78

hey you hurt my feelings about the gbe , yup mielke and side dom is the best pipe imo and the gbe . lunar wolf is that your baja my gbe endbleed doesnt shine like that is that chromed ? do you have a pic of that baja dirty ?
Old 08-13-2008, 07:04 PM
T I G

Originally Posted by Foxy
Jetprov3 is not there cos I have no experience of it, no other reason. I doubt it's particularly impressive though, with that built in silencer.
I have a V3, the silencer is not built it.
I like the performance of it. Its the only pipe I've run besides the stocker. So I wont be of any help
I do like the GBE side mount.
Does anyone have a picture of a Mielke on a Baja?
Why is noise a disadvantage?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:44 PM
monsterbrad

You guys that have run this buggy a bit
How is it with the stock pipe??
I am looking to build one of these also and I would like to know how they run
I have been running an LST for a few years now and I would like to have it be snappy.
Give me some guidence on which pipe will work one that is not terribly noisy.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:47 PM
773W
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry to but in here, but does anyone have any info on the rear bumper/alloy guard in Wickeds pic above? I like it!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Dirby

loud noise is a disadvantage to where some people are running there Baja's.
i ran my Baja for over a year in this one spot and put a GBE end bleed on it and was told people were complaining about the noise so i had to move to another part of the park.

B11tme.
it looks like you have already talked yourself into buying a Dom rear mount.
that is a good choice.
i have a GBE side and end bleed.
side mount Dom.
HPI pipe.
i believe the GBE end bleed is the loudest of the bunch.
But just because it is loud dosen't mean it has the most power.
when i first git my GBE end bleed i wanted to run it on a new engine i just got well after working all day and most of the night installing the engine the pipe would not fit on the header so i fired it up with just the header on inside my Garrage.
you talk about getting up close and personnel with noise.
that sucker was LOUD.
neighbors even complained about it too.
what did you say i can't hear you.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:16 PM
csp1971

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the side dom. It is an awesome pipe.

1) it isn't that loud, the x-can is considerably louder as well as the baja ss pipe
2) the body isn't that big of a deal, cut the body into two pieces, slide each piece behind the front exhaust mount. No, it won't pop out.
3) The choke part sucks, but with a long screwdriver, you can move the choke link. The fuel bulb can be accessed from the left side or from the rear.

I rolled that thing about 30 times the other night and not one ding on that pipe.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Monsterman--HBF
My Feedback: (28)

Well I have ran and had a number of pipes.. Right now I am running the JPV4 and love it.. The sound of the dual bleeds compares to no other pipe so far that I've heard.. I've rolled mine a number of times and bashed it pretty hard and still not a single dent, scratch nothing.. The pipe mount itself that attaches to the main chassis could have been designed a little better but it works alright..
Old 08-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Mr Terminator

I've ran my SS for the first time today and the HPI pipe isn't as loud as I expected it to be,I know people dont rate the SS tuned pipe but I think it sounds ok really,i'm still having a rear Dominator at the end of the month though,I just think its the best looking tuned pipe for the Baja,dont like side pipes they just dont look right in my opinion....
Old 08-14-2008, 02:42 AM
splcrazy

i have to disagree , everyone kept saying the TGN pipe is too heavy , its complete rubbish ,when i got my hands on it my opinion its a very light weight pipe considering its size , and who cares about the noise , and its not that big either , the pics are deceptive wait till you get it and see it in person it not that big as people would think . i have the rear ddm pipe and yeah its loud but i say its not a well built performance pipe , thats why i would say that the jetpro rear mount without a silencer is the best performer in a rear mount pipe , and if i had to buy another rear mount pipe the jetpro rearmount would be my first choice , but for unbeatable POWER & PERFORMANCE TGN HANDS DOWN.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:32 AM
Lunar Wolf
Banned

HAHA you need the weighing scales in your arms checked, the TGN pipe including all associated mounting parts weighs over 1KG, that adds 10% to the weight of the vehicle its hanging off. Most aftermarket steel pipes are half that hovering around 500g. I find it funny TGN market it as a 'Race Pipe' because its the absolute last pipe any smart racer would run, its also the pipe of choice if you want to destroy your engine head. About the only place its safe to run soft desert sand.

ORIGINAL: DIABLOTAC78

lunar wolf is that your baja my gbe endbleed doesnt shine like that is that chromed ? do you have a pic of that baja dirty ?
Yeah thats mine. Seems the Nickle plating is different from batch to batch. Mine came from the first batch shortly after they announced the release of the pipe but one of the guys who got his side bleed a few weeks before me had the more satin finish, i'm glad mine's nice and shiney though.

Here's a dirty pic:

Old 08-14-2008, 03:56 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

i have to disagree , everyone kept saying the TGN pipe is too heavy , its complete rubbish ,when i got my hands on it my opinion its a very light weight pipe considering its size , and who cares about the noise , and its not that big either , the pics are deceptive wait till you get it and see it in person it not that big as people would think . i have the rear ddm pipe and yeah its loud but i say its not a well built performance pipe , thats why i would say that the jetpro rear mount without a silencer is the best performer in a rear mount pipe , and if i had to buy another rear mount pipe the jetpro rearmount would be my first choice , but for unbeatable POWER & PERFORMANCE TGN HANDS DOWN.
Noise is everything to me. I have to drive for an hour to get 500m away from a residential building. Athens is a sprawling densely populated city.

As for size and weight, come on, a kilo for a pipe?? The mielke is half the size, weight, and quieter to boot. For me, it's a no-brainer. Other people have different priorities, this guy says he doesn't care about the noise, so the TGN may indeed be a good option for him, but there's not much in my post to disagree with, it's mostly personal opinion.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:04 AM
B11TME

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

Noise is everything to me. I have to drive for an hour to get 500m away from a residential building. Athens is a sprawling densely populated city.

As for size and weight, come on, a kilo for a pipe?? The mielke is half the size, weight, and quieter to boot. For me, it's a no-brainer. Other people have different priorities, this guy says he doesn't care about the noise, so the TGN may indeed be a good option for him, but there's not much in my post to disagree with, it's mostly personal opinion.

Is the TGN not a side mount pipe tho? I like the design of the Dom and the Jetpro and more so the jetpro because it comes out the rear of the baja and looks awsome and the same as the x-can...i just like that kinda design rather than have something on the side and im not afraid of jumping my baja and i would be worried about it being so exposed on the outside of the body.

I did see a TGN pipe something like the X-Can is that the one you are on about or the one that goes around the car and close to the ground?

Picking a pipe is bloody hard work lol
Old 08-14-2008, 05:01 AM
Foxy

Yeh the TGN race pipe is the one that looks like an alien attached to your car, wraps around the side rear.

Just get the rear dom, you won't regret it.

/thread.

(see, it's not difficult )
Old 08-14-2008, 05:11 AM
B11TME

Yeh the TGN race pipe is the one that looks like an alien attached to your car, wraps around the side rear.

Just get the rear dom, you won't regret it.

/thread.

(see, it's not difficult )
LOL Im sure i wont....Is that going to give me the low end grunt i want as well as decent speed compared to the standard pipe that comes with the 23cc rtr lol? The guy must of been mad putting that onto the 26cc engine. Im thinking about the 29cc kit as well all ported etc and i really want a nice sound of it. Its really lookin like the dom has won this battle but i was hoping the x-can or jetpro v3 was gona for some reason but the dom is growing on me now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.