Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

sway bar thickness?

Old 09-14-2008, 08:33 AM
jay273
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sway bar thickness?

just installing sway bars on my new baja and there are different colors/thinkness how does the different thinkness effect the handling ....and what ones are most of you using. i dont do really any jumping just want it to handle well through grass and some hard/loose dirt... thanks any info would be great
Old 09-14-2008, 09:40 AM
frumpy

Default RE: sway bar thickness?

I don't use them on my baja,they are great for the baja if you do alot of onroad driving though
Old 09-14-2008, 03:42 PM
looker2756

I would use what they recommend in the SS kit to start. That should be the black ones. The gold are heavier more for on-road & silver are lighter. They control body / side roll action in turns. I have the black ones in my car & ran on & off-road. I feel it handles very well that way.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Argess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the black ones, but havn't tried the others, so am unsure which might be better. However, I dont' use it on-road, but I wanted it to handle better over "small" jumps. Besides the swaybars, here's what I did to improve things (at no cost....er.....other than the swaybars):

I stiffened the front spring pre-load (15mm between shock cap and retaining ring vs the stock 9mm setting). I left the front damping at the softest setting. This allows the front end to drop quickly when hitting a jump (or ramp) and then rebound during the launch to help keep the front end up.

I left the rear spring pre-load alone, but increased the rear shock damping to the second firmest position (second smallest hole....see note below). This is similar to what someone else suggested, but without changing the oil viscosity......just use a stiffer damping shock setting. This helped keep the rear end from bouncing when landing.

All in all, a major improvement. The skill to make the 5B stay level and land smoothly is significantly reduced.

Note: I found adjusting the shock damping difficult to do by the book. In the end, I simply took the shocks apart to line up the damping holes the way I wanted them.