Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Baja 5b SS

Old 09-18-2008, 11:43 AM
CrysisFX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 5b SS

Alright so currently i have a savage X SS truck and am thinking of buying a Baja 5b SS.

some questions i have are how durable is the Baja? i don't expect to jump like my savage but compared to other 1/5 scale cars how durable is it. i was told it goes about as fast as a stock savage, how fast does it relatively go? also since i will be buying a radio for it i was wondering what is a good choice. i believe it comes with the SF-10 steering servo which is pretty decent but what about the sf-4 as a throttle? i plan to use a fasst system for a radio, will those servos work well with it?

also the main reason i want one is because i can walk to a gas station. my LHS is 45 miles away so nitro fuel is a limit
Old 09-18-2008, 12:17 PM
frumpy

Default RE: Baja 5b SS

crysis, the baja is the best all around 1/5 gasser for the $$$.The futaba 3PM faast system is what I and alot of the guys on the baja forum are running,some guys getting over 1,000 feet without losing signal.Also be sure to get a pb2themax kill switch,a must have for these LS gassers
Old 09-18-2008, 01:43 PM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

I hear people recommend a kill switch a lot. I'm running a futaba failsafe in my baja. It has withstood the test of both signal loss and low voltage, and is cheaper than most kill switches that I've seen. Is there any advantage to a kill switch over a properly functioning failsafe? (I don't mean to highjack this thread at all, just wondering)
Old 09-18-2008, 02:19 PM
frumpy

The failsafe won't stop a WOT runaway,I found out the hard wayI still use my radio FS and the kill switch together

Have a look here http://www.asaad.com/killswitches.htm
Old 09-18-2008, 03:48 PM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

but why did it runaway? If a failsafe is working correctly (which they don't always), as soon as you your transmitter loses signal, that failsafe should kick in and drop the the throttle to idle or brake (depending on how you have it set). Same for low voltage. If mine hits low voltage, my car just sits there and idles, it won't budge. I'm not trying to argue against kill switches. It's just that I was thinking of getting one soon, and want to make sure that I'm not just getting a failsafe that turns off my car instead of changing throttle.

I do like how some have the 3rd channel manual kill option.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:19 PM
frumpy

It ran away because of sand jamming up the linkage,this happens when you run on beaches and dunes.The pb2themax and the diemaster are best IMO.Also changing to the yamadude linkage eliminateds the sand issue also
Old 09-18-2008, 04:20 PM
CrysisFX

cool. but whats the best gasser out? i have 2500 dollars although i dont want to blwo it all i would like to know whats the best option
Old 09-18-2008, 05:15 PM
frumpy

IMO the Baja SS is the best for the $$$.If ya don't mind used there are alot of great deals on ebay and the baja forum with hop ups and radio for decent $$$$.I got mine used on the forum and was like new
Old 09-18-2008, 06:12 PM
cat_on_a_cob

I was asking the exact same questions before I got my SS! I was most concerened about what would happen if it ran away, after somehow loosing signal and running into some kid and breaking his leg! So I bought a failsafe, not sure exactly what it does because It hasn't been used yet but you deffinatly need one, especially with a thousand dollars cruising around a field!

As far as speed goes it is basically as fast as my (newer model) 3.3 Revo. So If you have some buddies with nitro cars such as the revo jato or savage you will be keeping up with them. If not faster, (but maybe since it is so big it seams faster). I have to say they are no question of a doubt THE most fun rc to drive EVER.

Oh and im using a spektrum dx3 because it has very good range. Farther than I am willing to drive it to be honest!

Hope you end up getting one there the most fun ever!
Old 09-18-2008, 07:19 PM
CrysisFX

ok well it seems like a good contender. i like the fact that its gas since gas is 5$ a gallon vs 30$ for nitro. the only yhting im concerned about is its durability. what can it do and what cant it do from a durability standpoint
Old 09-18-2008, 08:49 PM
monsterbrad

I have been kicking around the same idea for almost a year now.
Which 1/5 scale to get
I am going to be getting the SS but I have a wedding in the early summer and I am going to try to get the buggy built over the winter and be ready for some snow or the early spring.
I have been reading about this buggy for a long time and it looks pretty awesome and I am planning to run in the sand a little here and there.
For you guys running in sand what are the first things I should do other then sock everything?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:49 PM
cat_on_a_cob

Crysis as far as durability it is seams it is extremely durable! I have only been running mine for a couple weeks but I have had some pretty big spills and broken very minor cheap parts (IF something broke mind you) Crashes like running into trees. Flipping it half way around rolling it sideways along its wheelbase things like that. I thought I would be spending a fortune on parts but I have spent very little. I love just driving away from a crash without any damage.

And monster, I do not have much experience driving in the dunes but when I did I put on a front window shield to keep from the sand getting through. And sand paddles are a MUST. Other than that It ran very well in sand!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:39 PM
CHEVY 2

Wouldnt the built in failsafe in a spektrum setup be enough to protect from a runaway?I have been running my KM with it with no problem.I do a test on my fail safe each time I get it out just for the the piece of mind.I do a medium speed run in an open area,then I turn off my transmitter manualy and my buggy comes to a screeeching hault...or should I get a remote operated kill switch to work on the 3rd channel?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:45 PM
cat_on_a_cob

Yeah it would be ok but I added the one I had lying around just in case. I baby my rc's.