Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

What to buy???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 08:53 AM
StAtHiZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy???

I will defenately buy a 1/5 scale rc monster truck these days but i need your help to choose
I am between the FS King Kong with the chromed exhaust or the Smartech Titan with all parts stock....???

Another thing that i have seen is that the most of the people that buy new cars..change the bearings or they rebuild the car from the start in order to lock tite some parts.!

IF we don't change anything or if we don't get the car rebuilded....can't it run normally???I have been confused because everyone fisrt changes what ever he wants and then he gets the car run for the first time...

Any ideas???
Old 11-28-2008, 04:14 PM
StAtHiZ

Default RE: What to buy???

Come on guys i need your opinions.!!!![]
Old 11-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Gas jocky

Whatever you buy make sure you have parts support, you going to break parts whatever you decide apon. There are a loads of previous threads on this forum asking this very question..... read my friend read!
Old 11-28-2008, 04:51 PM
bentley marshall

i would go with the fs ...just becouse i have one
Old 11-28-2008, 05:24 PM
hellya

I have the FS and the smartech...........The FS will need alot of upgrades ....bearings, gears

Titan is ok.....the dog bones love poping out

Might want to add the 4x4 Rampage to your list I own 1 of these too

The FG MT will run ya about $999 its a decent truck
Old 11-28-2008, 11:55 PM
bentley marshall

hellya wa havent you got one of ???
Old 11-29-2008, 12:15 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FG MT5 or the new 4x4 Competition version. Bashable, fun, easy to work on truck with excellent parts support, especially in Europe and North America. I've owned tons of 1/5 and 1/6 trucks, and I always go back to the FGs. The quality and design simplicity is excellent as well.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:39 AM
hellya

ORIGINAL: bentley marshall

I have not owned a MCD ......I just cant bring myself to spend $1500 on a 1/5 vehicle that comes with no engine
Old 11-29-2008, 02:42 AM
clubin

ORIGINAL: hellya

ORIGINAL: bentley marshall

I have not owned a MCD ......I just cant bring myself to spend $1500 on a 1/5 vehicle that comes with no engine
Funny thing is buying it is the cheap part. Owning one is expensive.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:11 AM
kidd

from personal expirience
titan you can probably get the most tanks out of before you have to replace anything from normal wear. ie the diffs tower hobbies has them, and an aluminum upgrade. also the center of the brake disk wear out
rampage: you'll need the 2 25 tooth gears at 3 tanks and that's it your good to go
fg mt: plastic pinion will go first then the plastic spur then the for m4 wood screws start loosening on the plastic motor mounts can't forget the plastic spur carrier, the dif will go out then the center of the brake disk like the titan. then you realize the clicking sound coming from the rear is because the chassiss is flexing under load and everytime you land a jump that same flex jams the diffgear into the layshaft gear and bends the layshaft. and after you replace all these things with aluminum or steel your wife realizes that her bank account is a $1000 lighter
Old 11-30-2008, 05:03 PM
StAtHiZ

So it seems that the Titan is much better than the FS...

Kidd what do you thing would be the the first part that i would need to replace to the titan?

Now does anyone now the max speed of the titan.???I have seen a lot of sites but i can't find it's top speed[:@]
Old 11-30-2008, 05:19 PM
hellya

I have the smartech thunderbolt which is basicaly the titan the arms/dog bones are not as wide as the titan...but everything else is the same

The stock 28cc will do about 35-40 mph there is a chime noice that the metal gears make ...but it doesnt effect the drive system

Titan is on sale..... $699 shipped anywhere in the world

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-5-1-6-SMARTECH...3286.m20.l1116

Short video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f80Prz_jIOg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86409.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	1081606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46934.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	1081607  
Old 11-30-2008, 05:27 PM
574kman
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

check out the redcat (yeh thats what i thought also) the guys at large scale rc have been having great luck with these. parts are very resonable and they are very bashable . with a few upgrades you are in a whole new level of performance. go to largescalerc.com the guys are great and they are honest! and the price is way better than anything else especially when you consider the quality that is built into these trucks,kman
Old 11-30-2008, 05:32 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: 574kman

check out the redcat (yeh thats what i thought also) the guys at large scale rc have been having great luck with these. parts are very resonable and they are very bashable . with a few upgrades you are in a whole new level of performance. go to largescalerc.com the guys are great and they are honest! and the price is way better than anything else especially when you consider the quality that is built into these trucks,kman
The redcat is also a great 4x4...its a MCD clone and also incorperates some baja parts $759 shipped for the MT .....you will have to upgrade the drive gears and the gear plate
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63066.jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1081611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35112.jpg
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	1081612  
Old 11-30-2008, 05:34 PM
574kman
Banned

btw the cost of the mcd will fade away each time you squeeze the trigger,and hit something, and your truck is in one piece think of it as a car with rpm plastic evrywhere. my expience with smartech has not been pleasant . the fs car can use some mcd parts but not all (about 80%) and they are clones of mcd's first generation cars, not the current evo 3. so keep that in mind. kman
Old 11-30-2008, 05:36 PM
574kman
Banned

a better pipe and a head kit on the redcat. look out, they move out well, and mcd steal gears will work
Old 11-30-2008, 05:41 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: 574kman

a better pipe and a head kit on the redcat. look out, they move out well, and mcd steal gears will work
Heres the stock engine and a DDM rear baja pipe converted for the Rampage MT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeMxlgL64aI

I think because of the aftermarket parts available for the Redcat it may be a better buy...not alot of aftermarket support for the titan... stock parts no problem

http://www.rampagehopups.com/category.sc?categoryId=6

http://www.rampagehopups.com/category.sc?categoryId=5
Old 11-30-2008, 05:42 PM
kidd

diffs will outlast the brakes. the phenolic just isn't very durable, good news is the steel w/semi-metallic pad is very affordable.
i upgraded to the aluminum diffs from smartech so i can't really tell you if they'll go out and i've never heard of any. thier the same as the fg but the engine torque is distributed between three of them.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:50 PM
574kman
Banned

redcat also offers a ton of bling, and ddm ,and lsrc and even oversizerc.com has plenty of parts for the mt and buggy
Old 12-01-2008, 02:39 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for the Smartech of the two, definitely, but also consider the redcat rampage. I think you can pick up the Titan in Athens and save on teloneio and delivery, worth looking at, it may still end up cheaper to order from the states.

By the way, I'm in Agia Paraskevi, if you want to talk (I speak and read/write Greek fluently), drop me a pm anytime. There's not many of us in Greece, we gotta stick together!!

Na'sai kala re file!
Old 12-01-2008, 04:40 PM
StAtHiZ

Foxy i send you a pm...answer whenever you can..

Now i saw that many guys sugest buying (whatever that would be) from e-bay.

I have to say that i like the titan much more than the rampage...Does anyone know where can i get one from the e-bay???
Old 12-01-2008, 05:17 PM
bryan70546
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: StAtHiZ

Foxy i send you a pm...answer whenever you can..

Now i saw that many guys sugest buying (whatever that would be) from e-bay.

I have to say that i like the titan much more than the rampage...Does anyone know where can i get one from the e-bay???
I was in the same boat as you but instead of posting on forums asking what to buy i called around and spoke with dealers who sold them both .I to was looking at a titan and a rampage . I got the rampage
the seller i spoke with could of made more money off of me by saleing me a titan but was honest and told me not to buy it . Sold me a rampage instead which was a whole lot less money . bottom line is do your home work and reaserch each vehicle .Good luck with your purchase I am sure whatever you buy you will be happy with.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:00 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: Bratch96

Hellya, between the thunderbolt and the rampage, which 4wd do you like best and why?
The Rampage because of the aftermarket upgrade parts availability, also the stock 28cc that comes with smartechs vehicles has a 3 bolt head.... zenoahs have 2 & 4 bolt heads....the CYs are also 2 bolt heads......You just cant buy a head kit and switch bore sizes with smartech's inhouse machined engine...you will have to buy a new engine

Now as far as jumping.... the thunderbolt takes it because of the engine placement as balance of the buggy....The 2 metal drive gears have not worn out one me yet....the rampage will need to have the drive train upgraded....... but once upgraded your good to go (alloy gear carrier and steel gears)

Old 12-01-2008, 08:31 PM
kidd

like this
Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Redcat has just announced a new upgrade kit for all of us that already have their trucks. It has many of the parts that we have been asking for upgrades. A bunch of parts for only $49, thats a great deal.

The factory is listening to us end users and showing support by making changes and offering them at a very low price to owners. You wouldn't see any of the other entry level companies making this type of commitment to their customers.

[link=http://www.rampagehopups.com/product.sc?categoryId=6&productId=364]Rampage Upgrade Kit[/link]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.