Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Firehammer question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 03:36 PM
dbcooper
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firehammer question

As some of you may have read, I bought two Firehammer MTs for my sons (and me of course!) for Christmas. I went with these trucks due to the fact that they were gas (I've run nitro planes in the past and just don't want the hassle of them any more) and the price drop @ Tower. That and with all the aftermarket parts being available it seemed a no brainer. My question is this: We sheared the shaft off the steering servo on one of them from a fairly minor roll over. I had read that the servos were kinda junk anyways so it wasn't a big deal. I ended up ordering a new TS-80 the other day and now am wondering if the stock arm (or horn) will fit the new servo's shaft? Also, I read that I will need to use the "Y" harness that comes with the servo. Is this pretty self explanitory? Will I need any other parts to get it to work? I know there are better servos out there but after just putting the $ into two trucks I decided to go this way.
Also, can I get a new shaft for the original servo to fix as a back up? It may not be worth it if the TS-80s are working for everyone since they are pretty easy on the wallet.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:54 PM
kryptonite5b
My Feedback: (-2)

Default RE: Firehammer question

the y-harness is for splitting 2 servos. like if you have 2 stearing servos. im pretty sure with the servo you got, the stock horn should fit, but if not you may be able to use the extra horns that come with the servo. i think you should be fine. as far as saving that servo. i would. the rebuild kit is very cheap, maybe 5 bucks. replace just the servo horn and youll have a good spare incase the kid breaks down again.. unless your replacing all 4 servos in both the rigs, i would keep it as a spare.. good luck.. with this gift, you should get the dad of the year award!! its cool to see you getting the family involved in such a great hobby.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:00 PM
hellya

A Y harness is also to allow the batteries full 6 volts to get to your servos.

Some recievers have a built in regulators and only allow 4.8v to get to your servos

The Y harness allows you to go from the battery straight into the servo... normally the steering servo ....bypassing the reciever.

the increase in power/voltage gives you a stronger and faster servo
Old 01-01-2009, 04:25 PM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the TS-80 servo from tower you need the Y -harness to servo from batt..that servo draws a lot of current...
For the money is a good servo to use for the steering...you will have to set you end adjustments on your transmitter
not to over run the servo.........Hope this helps..AKASlawhammer
Old 01-02-2009, 10:05 AM
bsrman14
Banned

You only need the "y" harness if you have a B.E.C. reciever FM recievers DON'T use the harness.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:40 AM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bsrman:...do you have a TS-80 servo? ...You need a y-harness for that servo...Until you have one or have used one
yourself.....you should be careful want you post....Some people will call you out ..so you had better be correct on your information.....
I am not flaming you in any way here.....Bur for this application you need the y-harness......AKASLawhammer
Old 01-02-2009, 07:07 PM
dbcooper
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the information, guys. I hope the TS-80 is a better servo than what came on the truck. I just sheared the shaft off of the other one. I just bumped the side of a curb very lightly and presto...no steering. The shaft on these things seem to be made of balsa.
The throttle/brake servo seems to have issues also. We had one jam full left (wide open throttle). Fortunately I was able to hit the kill before any damage was done. I had just started it and had the body off with my hand on the roll cage. If not we may not have been able to find the thing! Soon upgrading to better electronics and a remote kill.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:56 AM
SAVAGEJIM

As for your question about a Y-harness, no, in most RC applications today, you do not need on unless you want to run two servos off of one "channel" on your RX. Now, I do not think the FireHammer RXs (JR I think) are 4.8V RXs, so pumping 6V through it will not be a problem (Industry standard for RXs is 6V, except for some of the extremely dirt cheap nitro RCs from china).

Now keep in mid that tehre are two Y harnesses we are talking about here.
The first is a simple Y harness, and that one CANNOT be used to pump a separate voltage to the RX and teh servo separately.
The second is a parallel wired Y-Harness, and taht is the one were you can pump juice to the RX and teh servo wil also get poer even if the wire gets severed to teh RX. Here is a link to a parallel wired Y-harness

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....t.A/id.2874/.f
Old 01-03-2009, 02:46 AM
FGmyzer

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

As for your question about a Y-harness, no, in most RC applications today, you do not need on unless you want to run two servos off of one "channel" on your RX. Now, I do not think the FireHammer RXs (JR I think) are 4.8V RXs, so pumping 6V through it will not be a problem (Industry standard for RXs is 6V, except for some of the extremely dirt cheap nitro RCs from china).

Savage jim here is information

ORIGINAL: kengentry5000

Well I went straight to the source with the voltage limiting question. Sounds like the y-harness theory has merit at least for stock Firehammer electronics. Here's the response from Futaba tech support:

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

The R123F receiver does have a battery eliminator circuit (BEC) built
in to it. That circuit is regulated to 5 volts. So you would get
better results with a y-harness.

Sincerely,
John G.
Product Support Lead Technician
Futaba Programming Technician
Great Planes Model Distributors
Read these past posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_40...tm.htm#4055208

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_74...tm.htm#7464359

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_62...tm.htm#6285743

Old 01-03-2009, 11:32 AM
bsrman14
Banned

ORIGINAL: slawhammer

bsrman:...do you have a TS-80 servo? ...You need a y-harness for that servo...Until you have one or have used one
yourself.....you should be careful want you post....Some people will call you out ..so you had better be correct on your information.....
I am not flaming you in any way here.....Bur for this application you need the y-harness......AKASLawhammer
Read the instructions that come with the servo. It States "BEC recieves use the "Y "harness". I have these servos and don't use the harness. It's the same servo as the Hitec 805 and Hobbico CS 80.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:41 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: bsrman14

ORIGINAL: slawhammer

Read the instructions that come with the servo. It States "BEC recieves use the "Y "harness". I have these servos and don't use the harness. It's the same servo as the Hitec 805 and Hobbico CS 80.
It all depends on your reciever.... not your servo....for example the spectrum reciever allows up to 7v to run through it.

........With our 1/5 vehicles...There is no harm using the Y harness in any application....you wont ruin your radio system/servos
Old 03-18-2009, 11:12 AM
grinder990

I just bought the TS-80 servo from tower. In the instructions it says that a maximum battery size of 1400 mah should be connected to the Y-harness. The battery that comes with the truck is bigger than that. How do you know if the receiver has BEC circuitry?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It always amazes me the crazy crap you find in instruction manuals and setup sheets.

You can use any battery, as long as it's 6v. As for using the harness or not, it's up to you, I'm sure you'll be fine whichever way you go, but it's always better to connect something directly if you can. If your rx is BEC type, it will say on it.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:05 PM
grinder990

I hooked it up with the y-harness and all is good. Thanks for the input.