Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Shopping/Comparing

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:52 AM
trev1whittaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping/Comparing

I understand that this question will return biased answers considering where it's placed, but work with me please.

I'm looking into getting a larger car than my 1/10 TC3. I'm pretty much comparing the Kyosho IGT2 (1/8 scale) to say...a Sportline or another 1/5 onroad. The only way I could afford a 1/5 would be shopping around on this site and picking up a used one since the budget is less than $600. I'm not looking into racing, since there arn't any local tracks and I've never raced before. Just looking into parking lot bashing and making a nice body (maybe some lights, etc). I'd prefer a larger car.

Would the inferno gt2 be better suited for me? Any folks in here buy a 1/5 just for parking lots? I know the pros and cons for the most part of two (noise, run time), but uniformed on the prices of repairs and such. Also kinda worried a 1/5 wouldn't fit in my Hyundai trunk lol. I could get parts for the igt2 at my lhs, but def. not a 1/5.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:40 PM
trev1whittaker

Default RE: Shopping/Comparing

Help?

Please?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:55 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Personally, I say save up to about $1200 USD befoe you buy.

Sorry to make this an economic issue, but in line with durability, reliability, and quality, the $1100-1200 USD RCs are the ones to get. And to be honest with you, even the better built chinese RCs, like RedCat's Rampage, will cost anywhere from $700-800+ USD. And then, there are upgrades which you WILL want to do, and you will easily spend hundreds more on options and hop-ups.

In short, 5th scale is NOT cheap, even if you buy a cheap chinese largre scale RC. For your $600, that will get you a really good quality 8th scale nitro. But if you must have a large scale, I really strongly recommend you save up more.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:06 PM
trev1whittaker

But if I were to buy a quality FG/FS whatever, but it were used, would I still be in the good? I know I'm comparing large, used RC to new, smaller, RTR. You can take a look at a couple RCs on the used forum here that I was talking about.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=472641

or

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=472657

if a 1/5 has the motor, and electronics, I'd imagine for the most part it'd be worth $5-600. I'd just be using it for parking lot driving.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:10 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Personally, I say buy one of those, FG is absolutely great. Even if they might be trashed, when rebuilt with original FG parts, and everything is fixed properly, you will not be disappointed.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:21 PM
trev1whittaker

Other than the fact I won't be albe to pick these extra parts up at my lhs, are they considerably more expensive than a 1/10 model? Do you prefer your large scale or smaller scale RCs?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:46 PM
SAVAGEJIM

For both question, Oh Yes! and Oh Yes!

I dont run my nitros anymore, my passion has transferred over to my gassers.

Additionally, gas RCs will run for eassily more than 30min on a tank of gas. The only limiting factor is if your batts can last that long.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 PM
hellya

dont belive you have to spend over $1000 for a decent 1/5 vehicleLook at the new baja 5t people having issues right out of the box and it cost $1200-1300

You can get FGs RTR for around $800 on ebay from daves motors... I have seen a couple MT sell for that

If you want a decent onroad for a decent price try a carson C5 about $700-800 and FG parts work

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24826.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1115630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39982.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	1115631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33376.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1115632  
Old 01-20-2009, 09:01 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Personally, I have grown sick of the fleabay rogues. I have had too many problems with them, and I am finally understanding why RCU seriously frowns on ebay links. Too many RCU memebers who have had run in with E/bay rogues and too many gripes that turn into huge arguments.

Yes, you can probably find many 5th scales cheaper, even FGs like you mention, and even honest and good sellers in ther. But there are still many other rogues in ebay, they undercut and sell stuff way to cheap, where they get their products is questionable, and they hurt the legitimate sellers. And there is no guarantee that you, the buyer will not get screwed over too.

Sorry, I am at a point where I am beginning to really hate these fleabay rogues. It's sad, because these internet rogues hurt the reputation of actual honest ebay sellers.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:06 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Personally, I have grown sick of the fleabay rogues. I have had too many problems with them, and I am finally understanding why RCU seriously frowns on ebay links. Too many RCU memebers who have had run in with E/bay rogues and too many gripes that turn into huge arguments.

Yes, you can probably find many 5th scales cheaper, even FGs like you mention, and even honest and good sellers in ther. But there are still many other rogues in ebay, they undercut and sell stuff way to cheap, where they get their products is questionable, and they hurt the legitimate sellers. And there is no guarantee that you, the buyer will not get screwed over too.

Sorry, I am at a point where I am beginning to really hate these fleabay rogues. It's sad, because these internet rogues hurt the reputation of actual honest ebay sellers.

I'm talking about the FG MT for $800 from www.davesmotors.com ..but you will only get that price on ebay along with their pipes and parts for less $$$
Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: hellya

If it wasnt for China we wouldnt have the zenoah engine we use[:-] Or have a computer to discuss matters like this

If it wasnt for China taking away way too many decent paying american jobs and flooding our markets with their way too cheap goods to exaserbate the problem further by driving american product manufacting out of business, we would not be having our economic problems.

Chinese companies and the chinese economy is playing unfailry. They REFUSE to buy american goods at OUR prices, and they flood our markets with theirs. They take away decent paying jobs from their primary consumers (we Americans) and they want us to still consume their goods when their consumers cannot buy anything anymore (or even if we could, we are so afraid for our jobs we only buy what we need and pay bills for our houses)? This trend of china refusing to buy american goods at OUR prices and stripping away jobs from the people who bought from them has finally caught up with the whole world. No, this is not the only factor of our sorry economic state, but it is a MAJOR factor none the less.

Sorry, even if china didnt exist, we WILL still have Zenoah engines. The manufacturing would be kept in Japan, or Japan would ask an American maker to provide OEM engines for them, thus at least giving some americans jobs. Same for electronics. AMD, Intel, Motorolla are more than capable of making decent electronincs and even capable of up-scaling to make more electronics to make our laptops, desktops, etc. I do not buy that we must have china to have Zenoah engines or RCs.

Likewise for our beloved RCs. We americans CAN make RCs if given a chance and some protection to keep the manufacturing and jobs in america. We can make 5th scale RCs for under $1000 shelf price and decent quality so long as the products are sold to pay back the R&D costs, Initial tooling costs, etc. And with more sales, that would translate to eventually cheaper manufacting costs, thus 5th scale AMERICAN made RCs for even under the $1000 mark.

Sorry, I cannot help but going into how I feel about the economy.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:31 PM
kryptonite5b
My Feedback: (-2)

pull your head out of your ass. the guy asked a simple question. whats with all the political crap?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 PM
SAVAGEJIM

If these last few posts get deleted and/or edidted, so be it. Let it be because it is not directly on topic, but it will not be about politics.

What I said is not political at all nor is it intended to endorse any ideology or support or criticize any political platforms or support or criticize any politician or any of their political policies. I said all that to be strictly ECONOMICAL and devoid of politics.

Again, if all this gets deleted, let it be because it is not directly on topic of the thread. Not because it is political.
And I apologize for deviating from what the topic is intended to be.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 PM
kryptonite5b
My Feedback: (-2)

What I said is not political at all nor is it intended to endorse any ideology or support or criticize any political platforms or support or criticize any politician or any of their political policies. I said all that to be strictly ECONOMICAL and devoid of politics.
WHAT DOES THAT SAY!!! EXCUSE MY IGORENCE..LOL..
Old 01-20-2009, 10:50 PM
SAVAGEJIM

If you want a decent onroad for a decent price try a carson C5 about $700-800 and FG parts work
I mentioned that even the better built chinese RCs would cost within this range. I quote myself:

...And to be honest with you, even the better built chinese RCs, like RedCat's Rampage, will cost anywhere from $700-800+ USD.
Yes the Rampage is an off road RC, but the on-road Smatech you mentioned is in that exact same price range I quoted.
I was trying to express to him that for brand new, $600 is not enough to buy from a reputable seller.

Since he is looking at used RCs, those ones he linked are actually most likely the best purchase for him.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:54 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: kryptonite5b

WHAT DOES THAT SAY!!! EXCUSE MY IGORENCE..LOL..
Sigh

You spelled "ignorance" incorrectly.

Lets just foget all this happened.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:13 PM
DarkFire989

I'm talking about the FG MT for $800 from www.davesmotors.com ..but you will only get that price on ebay along with their pipes and parts for less $$$
Yes.... I have been waiting paitently for one of those to pop up on ebay again.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:15 AM
trev1whittaker

ORIGINAL: trev1whittaker

Other than the fact I won't be albe to pick these extra parts up at my lhs, are they considerably more expensive than a 1/10 model? Do you prefer your large scale or smaller scale RCs?

I meant to ask ^^^ if the PARTS for a 1/5 are considerably more expensive than a 1/10?

Also, sorry about the question in the first place. Didn't intend on it taking us "there" lol.

Do you think that I'd enjoy a 1/5 solely for parking lot bashing more than a faster (and more detailed) 1/8? Yeah, yeah, I know with hopups etc bla bla. I know that, but I'm just supposing that if both were fresh out of a box or someone just knocked on my door and presented me with both a new Kyosho IGT2 and a used FG Sportline, which would I, or YOU have more fun bashing in a parking lot?

When I take it out into a parking lot and hit a.....speedbump or whatever and have to get a new part, which would cost me more, and would it be a considerable amount.

Also, are the gassers much louder than nitro? I know what nitro sounds like, but I keep imagining a gasser sounding like a gas powered leaf blower strapped to someone's back.

Sure would be nice to have a gasser owner that lived down the street or at my lhs I could badger with all these questions. Feels kinda ignorant to get all excited about this, and possibly jumping into something so impractical, or spent on something I've never even seen before in real life-let alone driven.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:28 AM
da mad maori

depends on how big the parking lot is.....
i would say stick with the nitro.... gas is alot louder (with a pipe) and alot bigger and a parking lot might seem too small
although gas is easier to start/run your thinking onroad.... which already limits the terain you can run on... then you have to find tarmac large enough to really throw ya car around
so i would say 1/8-1/6 nitro

but gas, is REALLY something else
Old 01-21-2009, 02:01 AM
trev1whittaker

1/8-1/6 nitro? who makes a 1/6 nitro? I know Kyosho and OFNA make a 1/7 and 1/8, but who does a 1/6?
Old 01-21-2009, 02:06 AM
hellya

I have seen alot of kits on ebay $449 a kit http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...pyxyihtfjrhxxb

Note:

Final width depends on the style of wheels and tires you choose.
Breathe some new life into your old HPI Savage with this kit. If you already have any HPI Savage, you won acute t need any other parts to complete this conversion.
All stock components work including the 3 speed transmission and reverse module.
Our test truck is a Savage 4.6 SS (with all stock plastic parts). Our truck weighed 6 ounces more than a stock SS with the stock tires. Of course bigger tires add weight to even the stock SS.
Although the stock HPI .21ci, .25ci, or .28ci engines work great, you may also use a larger engine. The CEN Racing G70357 .46ci Engine W/Pull Start NX-76 (7.6cc) Model Engine work fantasic.
To complete a model like the one in our photos, you acute ll need a Savage truck, a set of Imex Monster Kong wheels and tires, and a wide assortment of our New Era Models purple aluminum suspension upgrades.
Wider, longer, taller. All of the acute ers acute that make a Bad Ass monster truck.

......................................1/5 nitro kit next to a Savage............................................ .

Old 01-21-2009, 02:18 AM
trev1whittaker

ah, well i'm looking for onroad. i understand trucks, buggys, and in between can be really fun, but I get into enough trouble with the noise. i don't really care to add property damage or tore up grass to my offenses.

thankyou though.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:48 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

[b]Personally, I say save up to about $1200 USD befoe you buy.

Sorry to make this an economic issue, but in line with durability, reliability, and quality, the $1100-1200 USD RCs are the ones to get. And to be honest with you, even the better built chinese RCs, like RedCat's Rampage, will cost anywhere from $700-800+ USD. And then, there are upgrades which you WILL want to do, and you will easily spend hundreds more on options and hop-ups.

In short, 5th scale is NOT cheap, even if you buy a cheap chinese largre scale RC. For your $600, that will get you a really good quality 8th scale nitro. But if you must have a large scale, I really strongly recommend you save up more.
And where do we think the $1200 rcs come from?
Old 01-21-2009, 02:50 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

I have seen alot of kits on ebay $449 a kit http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...pyxyihtfjrhxxb

That's kinda cool!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:52 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: srt10

And where do we think the $1200 rcs come from?
GERMANY! And I love them too, great quality from FG, and priced in between the genuine HPI Baja 5B and still less than MCDs. Though I would love to see an American 5th scale RC, FG for me is good enough.

Enough about economics and all this pricing stuff,

Trev1whittaker, 6th and 5th scale gassers will definitetly need more asphalt space to run on, they have a much larger turning radius and due to their heveier weights, will need more space to stop. (As you go along in the hobby, you can get 4wheel disc brakes as an upgrade, and that will give you stopping power that rivals that of 8th scale RCs!) You can still run on the smae paved area you run nitros on, but you will really appreciate more open areas since they give you much more room to maneuver and bash around on.

As for noise, unfortunately, they are louder than nitro. Afterall, these engines have similar displacemnts to weedeaters and leaf blowers, but the difference is that your neighbors might be more habituated to weedeater engine noises so it might not bother them as badly so long as you run during daylight and not during prohibited times (i.e. city ordenance times that prohibit the use of lawn mowers weed eaters, chainsaws, etc.)
Nitros on the other hand can sound like a buzzing mosquito and their high pitched exhaust sounds can be even more annoying to your neighbors. And they can spot the noise of the unique sounds of a nitro engine a mile away. Sad, that even though nitro engines are a little more silent than gas engines, their higher pitch exhaust noises can be more annoying for some people.

As for the thrill of these gassers, for me at least, I love them. The ability to run for more than 30min per tank is an absolute pleasuere. And once you have your tuning dialed in, you can leave the needles there and keep on running even if the weather suddenly changes! Gas engins are a please in that fact, and the less hands-on as far as tuning and haveing to refuel every 10-15min is great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.