Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Baja Pro-line reed & DX3s rpm/mph gauge install :)

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Baja Pro-line reed & DX3s rpm/mph gauge install :)

Old 02-15-2009, 02:28 PM
pb_paulie_b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja Pro-line reed & DX3s rpm/mph gauge install :)

I finally got around to figuring out how to install the DX3s's rpm/mph sensor.
I cut down the mounting bracket. I then glued and screwed the sensor to the Baja's flywheel support.
I comes as a bare board so I finished the install with a coat of liquid electrical tape to protect it from the elements.
I gottah say the DX3s is the best radio I've ever owned but their rpm gauge needs some more r&d.
The reaction is slow and I question the accuracy. I was able to hit 25000 rpms free reving with wheels off the ground.
The radio doesn't save your max rpm's after the power is switched off.

Next up is the Pro-line 'shorty' reed kit.
Looks like a top notch product although I would like them to include a gasket to go in between the intake and reed block- more on that later.
If you go this route also buy a 'shorty' style filter. My K&N just barely fit on there and a shorty is on the way.
I had to port the intake and I also cleaned up and raised the exhaust port about 1mm.
I left the transfers untouched.
After the fire up the motor couldn't hold an idle and wanted to rev on it's own.
I have an air leak. Pro-line recommends you jb weld the intake to the reed block and not use a gasket.
I don't know about you but I don't want to jb weld those 2 pieces together! I used a trimmed gasket anyway.
I'm sure it's leaking there.
PIX!
RPM sensor

Before and after porting.

Exhaust port

Done

Old 02-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Baja Pro-line reed & DX3s rpm/mph gauge install :)

That is a neat installation!Is this sensor getting impulses from the magnet in the flywheel?
Old 02-15-2009, 04:20 PM
mooman007uk

just a word of warning, you might have a bit of a problem with your piston ring breaking as you have removed the ring compression stub in the intake port, all the top porters leave it there for a good reason as the intake is so wide the ring can be slightly un round as it moves thru it and it needs guidance before it hits and snags the top of the port.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:45 PM
pb_paulie_b

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

just a word of warning, you might have a bit of a problem with your piston ring breaking as you have removed the ring compression stub in the intake port, all the top porters leave it there for a good reason as the intake is so wide the ring can be slightly un round as it moves thru it and it needs guidance before it hits and snags the top of the port.
My ESP ported jug has it wittled away to almost nothing. If it becomes a problem then I will let you guys know for sure.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:47 PM
pb_paulie_b

ORIGINAL: Lars from Norway

That is a neat installation!Is this sensor getting impulses from the magnet in the flywheel?
Thanks!
It's an infra red sensor. It gets it's data from a reflective strip on the flywheel.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok,i see!