Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Baja 2 speed all most ready

Old 04-04-2009, 08:54 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 2 speed all most ready

I was on another forum and Skunkworks is just about ready to release there 2 speed for the HPI Baja they have been working on for a few years. Price is going to be some where in the $200 and you must run a Turtle complete clutch system.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Fabe

Default RE: Baja 2 speed all most ready

That sounds very interesting. What does the complete turtle system cost?
Old 04-05-2009, 08:14 AM
46u

I am running the Turtle complete clutch system which is necessary for any high out put engine. One of the many advantages of this system you do not have to worry about the pinion gear bolt breaking.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.4813/.f
Old 04-05-2009, 09:40 AM
savagecommander

if you have your pinion shimmed correctly you shouldnt ever break your pinion bolt. i think the TR complete system with the 2 speed is just clever marketing.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:06 AM
46u

I have talked to MANY that had there CB shimmed and still broke pinion gear bolts even high grade bolts. Go to the HPI Baja Forums and see! All so the TR clutch system covers the clutch to keep trash out, it runs a much truer or round CB, runs bigger bearings as well as incorporates the bearings for the shaft the spur goes on. Does away with the poor plastic bearing supports which many have had problems with. Bottom line it is MUCH stronger then the stock set up even if you shim the CB. The TR clutch system and the 2 speed are made by to different companies.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:22 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

if you have your pinion shimmed correctly you shouldnt ever break your pinion bolt. i think the TR complete system with the 2 speed is just clever marketing.

I think you hit the nail on the head..[sm=75_75.gif]
Old 04-05-2009, 10:25 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: hndaman1

First I want to say I am not assassinated with either company and make nothing from either!
But I know better.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:50 AM
nothinbetr2do

what forum did you read this info? the last i heard the 2 speed project was put to the side for other projects, and suggested costs where looking to be around the $400 range with nothing being said about the tr clutch system. but anyway, this is good news if it's true. i've been waiting for over a year for it to come out
Old 04-05-2009, 10:59 AM
46u

I cannot post a link as the forum police will get up set. HPI Baja Forums. Go argue with them about the TR clutch system.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:01 AM
nothinbetr2do

never mind, i've seen the thread that your talking about
Old 04-05-2009, 11:01 AM
46u

Qoute[ As you know I made the first prototype almost two years ago. I sat on the design for awhile, revised, and revised again. I have come to what I hope is the final design. It makes the first prototype look like a toy. I am hoping that this will be bomb proof. Here are some of the features

1. Exclusively designed for the Turtle Racing HD Clutch System. With the loads that this two speed puts on the clutch bell you need and want the HD system if you are running a two speed.

2. 1st gear will use stock gears that are compatible with the Turtle system

3. 2nd gear will be included with the kit

4. The shift point is adjustable from outside the assembly so you can adjust without having to take it apart.

5. Second gear is replaceable and independent from the clutch mechanism

6. The shifting clutch is sealed to keep crap out for those that like to run in sand.

7. 100% rebuildable.

In revisiting the design so many times I was working on trying to get the cost down, make it bomb proof, and make it easy to adjust.

Some things that I still need to work on are the gear cover. Both the gear cover and the second gear will manufactured by injection molding plastic.

Original design was estimated at somewhere around $400-$450. To be honest I just wasn't really interested in working on a product in that kind of price point. With the new changes I think we can get this product into the low $200 range.

Right now I am hard at work in the garage making, again what I hope is, the final prototype. There will be four of these on display and ready to run at RCX 2009.]Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:47 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

dang so $195 for the TR clutch set up then another $400 for the 2 speed?i think im gonna stay with single speed hehe..i only have 1 kidney left and i cant sell it anymore ..one was sold to fund my bajas already hehehe
Old 04-05-2009, 12:25 PM
savagecommander

ORIGINAL: 46u

ORIGINAL: hndaman1

First I want to say I am not assassinated with either company and make nothing from either!
But I know better.

assassinated! oh no!

but seriously, no doubt TR makes good products, and for a fact i know he's a good guy, but it just so happens there are a lot of companies that get in kahoots with eachother- ddm+hostile, skunk+TR, esp+trevor simpson- now i know these are all good guys but come on now, from a business standpoint, why not make us buy the TR clutch system with the two speed? less competition and everybody makes out like gang busters.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:29 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: badboy2

dang so $195 for the TR clutch set up then another $400 for the 2 speed?i think im gonna stay with single speed hehe..i only have 1 kidney left and i cant sell it anymore ..one was sold to fund my bajas already hehehe
Evidently you are not reading the post or having problems comprehending them as in several of the above post say the 2 speed will be in the $200 or low $200 range. I have yet found anything in this hobby cheap. [X(]
Old 04-05-2009, 12:32 PM
46u

[/quote]

assassinated! oh no!

[/quote]

oops got me.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] LOL
Old 04-05-2009, 06:29 PM
splcrazy

lol you need to run a turtle racing clutch setup for high output motors to begin with ??? what a load of bull , my engine in my baja5b is making about 9HP and i run a vertigo clutch carrier and vertigo vented bell with high grade pinion bolt and have not ever broken a single bolt since installing it , i bought a bunch of those high grade bolts in fear that it would break but its still using the same highgrade bolt i installed on it over two years ago .First i'd like to see what vertigo has made as their new BOLTLESS clutchbell before making desisions on getting the turtle clutch kit , personally i hope they sell the 2speed byitself and let us choose and experiment on what clutchkit we wanna buy
Old 04-05-2009, 07:36 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I'm definitely interested! What I am thinking is that this new 2speed gear set will be a disc and pawl system. But I would be definietly intersted if this were a centrifical clutch system just like inside our CBs, moreover, adjustable at that!

I will have to check out the net on this new 2speed to find out more!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:03 PM
GT100
My Feedback: (1)

Wow, that will be an expensive 2 speed. Let me say whats going to happen. The 2 speed will be released, someone will take it and make a cheaper version of it that will work just as good for those with stock or low powered motors. THE END.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:27 PM
monsterbrad

I was hoping that it would lower first gear and make it snappier!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:32 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Qoute[ As you know I made the first prototype almost two years ago. I sat on the design for awhile, revised, and revised again. I have come to what I hope is the final design. It makes the first prototype look like a toy. I am hoping that this will be bomb proof. Here are some of the features

1. Exclusively designed for the Turtle Racing HD Clutch System. With the loads that this two speed puts on the clutch bell you need and want the HD system if you are running a two speed.

2. 1st gear will use stock gears that are compatible with the Turtle system

3. 2nd gear will be included with the kit

4. The shift point is adjustable from outside the assembly so you can adjust without having to take it apart.

5. Second gear is replaceable and independent from the clutch mechanism

6. The shifting clutch is sealed to keep crap out for those that like to run in sand.

7. 100% rebuildable.

In revisiting the design so many times I was working on trying to get the cost down, make it bomb proof, and make it easy to adjust.

Some things that I still need to work on are the gear cover. Both the gear cover and the second gear will manufactured by injection molding plastic.

Original design was estimated at somewhere around $400-$450
. To be honest I just wasn't really interested in working on a product in that kind of price point. With the new changes I think we can get this product into the low $200 range.

Right now I am hard at work in the garage making, again what I hope is, the final prototype. There will be four of these on display and ready to run at RCX 2009.]Quote

How does that make sence??? the end user will still have to dump out 400 dollars just to run the 2speed??? The fact HPI still hasn't made its own 2speed is bogus, what the hell are they waiting for???

In the end i dont see how the turtle racing clutch system was needed to begin with on high end motor set ups???, i sure didn't use it when i pushed my baja to 65 MPH extremely modded ZEN26 4bolt.....
Old 04-05-2009, 09:27 PM
savagecommander

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

lol you need to run a turtle racing clutch setup for high output motors to begin with ??? what a load of bull , my engine in my baja5b is making about 9HP and i run a vertigo clutch carrier and vertigo vented bell with high grade pinion bolt and have not ever broken a single bolt since installing it , i bought a bunch of those high grade bolts in fear that it would break but its still using the same highgrade bolt i installed on it over two years ago .First i'd like to see what vertigo has made as their new BOLTLESS clutchbell before making desisions on getting the turtle clutch kit , personally i hope they sell the 2speed byitself and let us choose and experiment on what clutchkit we wanna buy
if this is true you have the most powerful baja in the world- post some vids...

very well said miami-
Old 04-05-2009, 09:40 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: Got_to_100_now_die_hatin

Wow, that will be an expensive 2 speed. Let me say whats going to happen. The 2 speed will be released, someone will take it and make a cheaper version of it that will work just as good for those with stock or low powered motors. THE END.
I agree, well, if they do make it cheaper, I hope it would be through their own innovation and not a direct cloning.

As for a clutch costing $400 USD, it better have a clutch like mechanism to kick in 2nd gear, and be adjustable at that. The FG 2speed gearset costs about like $240 USD? (I cannot remember for sure) and the FG 2speed set is only a disc and pawl mechanism.

Gears are already turning in my head for an idea of using a stock clutch-like system and how to make it adjustable. It would have to be very thin, and the recess holes for woulf also pose a problem. So, going with a clutch-like mechanism that is similar to the Elcon and 4shoe Lauterbacher clutches would probably have to be used. Maybe a 2shoe version would help reduce parts, weight, and machining costs.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:47 PM
cheezer1222

But I know better.

I chuckled a bit when I read that comment. Perhaps you meant "associated?" We all do that from time to time, but in this case it was kind of funny.

On topic, I have to agree with some of the other posters. $400 for the entire system seems a bit pricey. I know that nothing in this hobby is cheap, but that's dang near half the price of my baja just in the 2 speed. I'm not really a huge fan of cloned anything, but if somebody is able to bring out a cheaper version of this that works with the original clutch system, then I'm probably going to go for that. Just my two cents.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:58 PM
splcrazy

ORIGINAL: Got_to_100_now_die_hatin

this is so true , i dont see the point in spending money for a crazy turtle clutch system kit combined with the 2speed as a complete kit if your going to run the set up on a stock baja, someone will definatley copy it after its realeased and lol there will be three or two different companys making 2speeds for baja's all of a sudden . like the alloy engine mount for the baja5b there is a company that makes it and costs $40 something dollars and then GH made the same exact thing and sells for $16.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:14 AM
mikeinoz

ORIGINAL: splcrazy

What did you do to get 9HP out of your motor? Mine is putting out 15HP all I did was fit a better spark plug and point the exhaust the other way

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.