Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Need your experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:15 AM
reddog6625

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your experience

Been searching the forum and found quite a lot of threads about air filters but still can not decide........Some of the guys saying that k&n is not good for offroad ( the guy at my lhs is saying that is better than the stock fg, just need to put the filter sock on and it will be better as the fg with a sock). i hawe the fg stock one with the white songe thing on it with a filter sock.....Every body says diferent things and i can not decide what to go for. Mcd ones i heard ar good.......But want a good one as really fine dust ate up my engine (luckily stock one)pretty qiuck(in less than 5 mins). Filter sponge was oiled up filter sock was on the filter...and that dust still went thru....any ideas????????????
Old 05-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Need your experience

With respect, I'm surprised to hear your LHSguy say that. The stock FG filter is one of the best large scale filters there is, period. Stick an outerwear on it, and never think about it again. The K&N on the other hand is a pure bling item. I would only use it for on-road, and even then, only if I had no other choice. I run on the finest dust you can imagine here in greece... Here's a couple of pics showingthe dust (note my filter did not even have an outerwear on it at that time, and Istill didn't really have any issues, though Irecommend using one), and a pic of my chassis AFTER a cursory clean up. The whole car was completely orange, and nothing is getting through the FG filter (with outerwear) whatsoever.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:42 PM
cuemando

Any name brand filter is good.K&N paper filter need replacing too offen unless you run a pre filter. I prefer to have spares to swap to. I run a uni filter pod. As to your dirt ingress, more oil, better oil?
Old 05-25-2009, 05:11 PM
reddog6625

Thanks for the reply foxy......

Yeah as for filter socks i meant outerwears......and i do not know how but that fine dust still went thru. Bought the best filter oil around did put it on the foam insert and i do not know how but it did happen.............Did check the filter plastics no leaks there.....did a bit more research and alll what people recommend is the stock filter + redneck pre filter + outerwears. I do hawe the twin air filter sock...but the dust is so freakin fine that it goes throught that as well no problem.....i will se ill get the redneck, add that to the setup and see how it will go...and will not return to that place...And as for orange colourish dust mine was the same so i think it is the same kind of stuff what you run on foxy

Any other ideas maybe?????
Old 05-26-2009, 02:26 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No worries man, I'm genuinely surprised you are having a problem with the FG filter. I know you said you fitted it properly, but it's the only thing I can think of. Maybe remove it, check for gaps, refit it very carefully... sorry I can't offer anything more constructive.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:51 PM
reddog6625

Thanks again....:-)

Today i was checking the filter closely and the dust went thru the sock and the fg stock filter......ther was a massive amount of dust in the filter just below the sponge.....it is strange....anyways....thankfully the engine is not so bad on it need to clean it comletely...Needs few new parts, which will cost me 50 euros but i think the engine will run as new. Maybe the problem was that i stripped it the first time since i hawe the car (4 years now).
Yeah and an another one Anybody has any experience with that plastic fg cup what goes above the filter???
Old 05-26-2009, 10:30 PM
hellya

Hey try a HPI filter or a Firehammer filter best filter I ever owned...KN filters are not designed for 1/5 offroad use... IMO