Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

how good is redcat 1/5 scale?

Old 07-04-2009, 09:10 PM
jonnymobil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how good is redcat 1/5 scale?

i am looking to build an electric 1/5 scale and have a friend that can get me redcat kits at cost.i.e. less than 500 bucks,how good are they?i can get a roller for like 330 brand new but ill probably buy the rtr so i can play for a while.i am looking at the rampage buggy or the dunerunner.

what do you guys think.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:54 PM
DarkFire989

Default RE: how good is redcat 1/5 scale?

Ive heard that the Monster truck is very good.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:41 AM
sheograth

They're far better than their nitro or electric counterparts, that's for sure.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:57 AM
splcrazy

yeah thier price is pretty good now , i can get one delivered to me here from ddm to australia for under $1000 which is tempting , but i already have two 5b's and a FG MT .
Old 07-05-2009, 11:06 AM
mooman007uk

I sold my FGbaja for a second rampage....while not the quality of an MCD after a bit of tinkering and a few cheap upgrades they are extremely durable, the V2 has addressed alot of the faults on the V1, they are also getting good results in races now too in Denmark, UK and at diggers dungeon beating much more expensive competition. check out the redcat rampage forum for all you will ever need to know about these trucks.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:15 AM
dc2 man
Banned

a redcat rampage is a cheap clone alternetive to an mcd. you will buy it at a good price but you will spend triple that to make it relibale and at the end of the day what have you then? a ram mcd page lol

i would just save my money if i were you an either buy mcd ultimate or the fg comp model.....simple as that
you dont have to own one to know that these cheap trucks need a lot of ££££ to make them anyway relibale.

and out of the box i would say pretty week.......and that horrible gear/drive train set up needs loads of attention to make it solid from what i have read/heard.

clones are rubbish if you ask me,who wants to make a copy of some other manufactures truck anyway in the first place,its about time clone companies started coming up with there own ideas rather than making cheaper copies of models and then being able to sell them cheaper with the use of cheaper materials.......lol

and being honest my fg isnt even fg anymore its an elcon model now as the stock fg monster parts just couldnt hold up.
i dont have any personal problem with clones as such but it does annoy me that they are just a direct copy.

common sense really,
for the prices of these things we at least want to get a good name.....thats all anybody wants at the end of the day.

dc
Old 07-05-2009, 01:40 PM
csp1971

ORIGINAL: dc2 man

a redcat rampage is a cheap clone alternetive to an mcd. you will buy it at a good price but you will spend triple that to make it relibale and at the end of the day what have you then? a ram mcd page lol

i would just save my money if i were you an either buy mcd ultimate or the fg comp model.....simple as that
you dont have to own one to know that these cheap trucks need a lot of ££££ to make them anyway relibale.

and out of the box i would say pretty week.......and that horrible gear/drive train set up needs loads of attention to make it solid from what i have read/heard.

clones are rubbish if you ask me,who wants to make a copy of some other manufactures truck anyway in the first place,its about time clone companies started coming up with there own ideas rather than making cheaper copies of models and then being able to sell them cheaper with the use of cheaper materials.......lol [img][/img]

and being honest my fg isnt even fg anymore its an elcon model now as the stock fg monster parts just couldnt hold up.
i dont have any personal problem with clones as such but it does annoy me that they are just a direct copy.

common sense really,
for the prices of these things we at least want to get a good name.....thats all anybody wants at the end of the day.

dc

FS is more of a clone of the MCD. The only thing that is even similar to an MCD are the gears and the drive shafts.

The gear problem on the Redcat (melted gears) is attributed one or both of the following: 1) running with the gear cover on, and/or 2) running with a plastic gear plate. Their are now steel gears for the Rampages and there are many alloy parts available (including the gear plate). Like anything else, it takes some upgrades here and there to make them more solid. The HPI Baja would be included in this as well or even the FG.

I've done the following upgrades to my Rampage:

Shocks (the shafts are 4mm, moved up to the HPI Baja 6mm shafts to make them more reliable and stronger, probably spent about 60 bucks here)

I also purchased an upgrade kit for 50 bucks (the version 2 MT/TT doesn't need this, upgrades already included)

Replaced steering and throttle servos. Various prices. The steering servo from what I understand is okay but the throttle servo you would want to replace.

Dominator tuned pipe goes for about 140, depending on where you get it.

If you want more information on the Redcat Rampage, go to Google and type in "Redcat Rampage". Hit that forum that comes up and you'll get loads more info than this community provides. Everyone on that forum knows that vehicle inside and out and knows what to do to get it going.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:53 PM
mooman007uk

Dc a redcat is not a clone of the MCD, only the abc and d gears fit , redcat did come up with their own design, drivetrain all you do is temper the diff cup shafts and we now have abcd steel gears from himoto that cast just $20 each so is now bombproof. i drive both mine like i stole them and other than driver error neither has any issues other than normal wear and tear. You can buy a roller stick in a hot motor and pie, decent electrics for way less than an MCD and for half an MCD comp ans the rampage is beating both round the track.
here's an older vid of how these things run...before steel gears i'll add co i do munch them at the end...[link]http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/ww294/mooman007uk/?action=view&current=rampcuptest_mpeg2video.flv[/link]
Old 07-05-2009, 02:08 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

ORIGINAL: dc2 man

clones are rubbish if you ask me,who wants to make a copy of some other manufactures truck anyway in the first place,its about time clone companies started coming up with there own ideas rather than making cheaper copies of models and then being able to sell them cheaper with the use of cheaper materials.......lol [img][/img]

common sense really,

dc

Please do some research before you insert your opinion. You obviously haven't seen a Redcat up close, nor have looked on any of the forums that support them.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:01 PM
dc2 man
Banned

ok ramtech you have got to realise that just because you have opinions about things well im sorry to say that doesnt mean that mine are going to be the same!

im not cutting a rampage but a few friends of mine had them and they had a lot of upgrading to do before it was right.

i do know about them as i do read forums and retain info.......which is the norm i presume.

i dont like clones end of story.

thats my opinion ramtech and if my opinion is going to upset you then im sorry.

two lads i knew owned rampages and were very dissapointed as parts were hard to aquire so he used some mcd ones and the other fella just sold it as it kept breaking....

like i say clones dont do it for me but your opinion may be differnt and thats what its all about.......

but as mooman says the new ones seem good so maybe they are i dont know.

my definate opinion on one thing is they look great.....and have fab wheels.

so maybe these new upgraded ones could be good?

im basin my opinion on the earlier ones so im sorry for any misconceptions in my first post.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:21 PM
mooman007uk

I don't want to hijack jonnymobil's thread here but

like i say clones dont do it for me but your opinion may be differnt and thats what its all about.......
isn't your carson an FG clone DC , i just want to set the record straight here so I'm not trying to start a pissing match...the rampage is not a clone of an MCD, it has a similar layout...mid engine...you can have mid engine or rear engine and that's it so design parameters are kinda restricted, just the gears and wheel dogbones interchange...nothing else will fit even closely. Sorry to hear your buddies had bad luck with theirs...must have been from the first batch before they resolved many of the issues and in the USA and Canada we have unfailing support from redcat racing and rampagehopups and parts are readily available and cheap...honestly these trucks have come along in leaps and bounds in the last 6mths and are virtually bombproof with a few mods that cost less than my 4 plate FG diff did
Old 07-05-2009, 04:25 PM
dc2 man
Banned

my carson mooman is shelved lol thats why i now have a fg evo comp model

but i am going to rebuild that too one of the days as its a great model,believe it or not it was the most bang for buck stock r/c with out upgrades that i have ever owned....

but a carson is not an fg clone who told you that?

carson arent a cloning company at all.....they are independant company.

the carson onroad has lots of differnt ideas to an fg....

sure all onroads have similar build,and if thats the case they all are fg clones lol as they all use similar drivetrain set ups.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:07 PM
splcrazy

yeah an mcd MT is the ultimate , there was a thread on here with pics of a green and black body colour , very nice
Old 07-05-2009, 05:27 PM
dc2 man
Banned

fg is the ultimate comp if you can afford it but if not standard still good
Old 07-05-2009, 10:29 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Please do some research before you insert your opinion. You obviously haven't seen a Redcat up close, nor have looked on any of the forums that support them.
Rob, not to take sides or draw lines, but the Rampage/Skeleton has more similar to MCD especially in its drive train design. No, they may not be direct drop-in nor 100% interchangeable, but you cannot deny the MCD similarities.

I too share dc2's opinion, but I do give Darin and Redcat this: he practices damn good business and takes care of his customers. And I will recommend Redcat over any other HSP reseller any day because of Darin's good practices.

No one is knocking the Rampage for it being a sorry RC; it is an okay RC especially for the price and there are tons of hop-ups for it thanks to you and others who provide hop-ups for it and support it.

Now, let us have our opinions, but please dont trounce on them because you sell these. We are not here to ruin your sales no matter how annoying our opinions might be. But you know what? There are others who have opposite opinions that we do; for example, mooman above loves these and he has expressed his opinion without trying to trounce on the other side's opinion.

And Rob, let it be known that regardless of whether I share your opinion or not, I still will refer people to your store because you are one of the reputable stores on-line; actually up there with DDM and FG Supply and others. You should take damn good pride in that especially coming from someone who does not always share you same opinions.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:50 PM
da mad maori

i like the the redcats they're great alternatives to the high priced mcd and fg
and because i own an mcd rally and a buddy owns a redcat rally i can say the redcat allthough not a clone, is definantly copied from an mcd (and a smartech to a less extent)
Ramtechs opinion is such because he is a distributer of the redcat (ive been told) and actively against chinese copies...... (yer go figure)

the redcat is a cheaper alternative but they are still "cheap" quality but hey if it gets you in the hobby then go for it
Old 07-05-2009, 10:50 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

I stand by my statement. He was looking for help on Redcats, and all he got was bad information from someone who doesn't know a thing about them.

If he asked, what should I spend my $2000 on? then this thread would be great.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:15 PM
SAVAGEJIM

If you truly believe the opinion you hold, there is absolutely nothing wrong with you standing by them.

But keep in mind that our opinions could be justified, not opinions we make up. RCU really stresses that claims should be backed up as much as possible, especially from experience or knowledge of facts, and I doubt seriously that dc2 was giving BS opinion. So dont automatically assume he knows absolutely nothing about them; he did explain he knew some about them even though it is limited. And if I were in his position, I too would trust the word of friends over people on the net.

All I'm saying is just because someone gives an opinion is not always out of BS nor are they intentionally mal-intended to your enterprise or anything else.

And looking back at post #1, the OP was also asking for our thoughts and people from both sides are giving them.
In reality, there is nothing wrong with people giving alternatives since that is what some people are thinking. After all, if someone were looking at $2000 USD RCs but is not willing to spend that much, then it would also be appropriate to offer cheaper alternatives.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:18 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

It has nothing with me selling. The poster already was getting it from his friend. I have nothing to gain on this one.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:28 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Very well, then. Seems settled to me too.

But be understanding and dont jump to conclusion that just because someone says that a product you sell has faults means he is making it all up. It didnt look too nice to see you say he knows nothing about them.

But in honor to you and your store, I too stand by what I said earlier, and not from hearsay, but as a customer who has actually bought from you before and will continue to do so:

"...Regardless of whether I share your opinion or not, I still will refer people to your store because you are one of the reputable stores on-line; actually up there with DDM and FG Supply and others...."

regards, Jim
Old 07-05-2009, 11:33 PM
jigawatt

by the way jim... how old are you??? Just tryin to find out if you are indeed the one who used to be 14 roughly a couple years ago, had his own "rc store", or website for that matter, which used to have links to other products and stores... even though the website said it was a store/hobbyshop/and so on.

The Jim, and "i hate stray tomcats" rings a bell from an "XTM forum"
Old 07-05-2009, 11:40 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: jigawatt

by the way jim... how old are you???
I would hope that my posts above are mature and level headed despite my age.

No, I am not one of those on-line scammers. I have never ran an RC store on-line nor have I tried. Actually, those crooks are the type of people that are extremely odious to me.

Come to think of it, if I wanted to sell any RCs, I would have done so in RCU market. For the stray tomcats sig, I explained that some time back, I think in the off topic forum. I cannot remember the thread though. I do not know if the RCU search can dig it up.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:49 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Thanks for supporting my store and the Redcat brand. if you read my post #8, you will see the items in Red that send a red flag up.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:47 AM
dc2 man
Banned

ramtech man nobodys trying to cut your product in anyway.

like sj is saying people give there opinions and thats it.

i have got all sorts of opinions and i deal with it.....not everybody likes my machines or would buy one because the world is diverse and if it wasnt it would be a very boring place to be.

i did mention what mooman said about the new one being far better....well and good then.

i got banned on a forum before for being honest about my opinions now if people are going to get all definsive because somebody else hasnt the same opinions then that is a tough one for everybody.......
Old 07-06-2009, 01:09 PM
elven wizard

To answer your question about the Redcat Rampage from experience. It's a good 1/5 scale 4wd Rc. I had lots of fun with mine and for the most part I felt like I got my money's worth out of it. I did use the hell out of it. I have alot of other 1/5 scale brands. Even the FS truck. I used that truck till it fell apart and the engine died, just like the Rampage. I felt I got my money's worth out of it for what I paid for them. Even though this is about the Rampage topic the one brand that I have had the most use of and lasted the longest (in fact there still running today) is the Mcd models. Mcd is a great 1/5 scale brand. The trade off is the cost factor. The Redcat is alot more affordable and is good. Whatever you get your going to have fun with it.

Elven Wizard

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.