Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

KM 5B Vs Rovan 5B

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Blitzer Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KM 5B Vs Rovan 5B

So Iv been looking around on the forum and cant really find a thread about this..closest i got was some guys building the 5T Kit from Rovan

But I'm going to buy a clone...and its a toss up between Rovan and KM 5B's
The Rovan I found is slightly cheaper with a 26CC engine etc - http://www.rovansports.com/en/products.asp?i=73 I can get this for $495+$135 shipping to the UK
That looks REALLY nice

And then theres the KM I havent really found anyplace that I can buy it from I'm still waiting for a reply from the "UK supplier" because I cant ship from KM directly because they have a supplier here(might save me on shipping..but will probably be around 500....pounds....) (the info I got from talking to Ellen)
so I dont know what I can buy for what price,

BUT I would just like to know what the quality is from both these companys - or are they the same just with different stickers?

Thanks alot guys

Old 08-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Havoc1992

Default RE: KM 5B Vs Rovan 5B

Can't really help you on whether the rovan is any good cos i am also looking for a clone to buy. I have been looking at the shengqi baja for £360 shipped [link=http://rccarsdeal.com/Baja_Buggy.aspx]link[/link] and the alloy 29cc version of the king motors baja, more expensive at $900 shipped or around £550 [link=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/King-Motor-KSRC-2-0-1-5-RC-Gas-Petrol-Baja-5-Buggy-29cc_W0QQitemZ250479281364QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio _Control_Vehicles?hash=item3a51ba84d4&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177]link[/link] The only thing that puts me off the king motors one is that it is shipped from hong kong so it may hit import tax as it is a large parcel.

£600 is very cheap seeing as all this alloy, exhaust and engine upgrades would cost you probably around an extra £500 to upgrade a stock baja.
Sorry i couldn't give you any info on the Rovan as this is the first time i have heard of it so thanks for the info, you've given me another option
Old 08-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Havoc1992

i found this thread on the Rovan 5T clone [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8844585/tm.htm]link[/link] if this is anything to go by then the plastics Rovan use are of low quality so i'm not sure how they will hold up on the 5B.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Blitzer Fan

hmm thanks for the info..that ShengQI looks really good..just dont like the paddles...suppose extra £60 shouldnt be to bad to get rid..
reason why i leaned more towards rovan is that the 26cc is based on the 2.0 SS i mean it really does look nice in those pics..and you get 2.4GHz transmitter/reciever
but i dont like the looks of the KM that metal loop they have on the top of it just puts me off..and their putting it on all their new models...

and im still not sure about import tax..i heard that we dont pay tax for things from asia..i just got US$120 from hong kong and didnt get taxed...but yeh..a big box might be different...

P.S the site you gave me for the ShengQi their also selling the original 5B for £661 so if your going for the KM alloy..i would rather spend the extra 100 quid and go for actual HPI Baja
Old 08-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Havoc1992

I think the metal loop on the top of the KM is so that hits the floor in a roll over and stops the rest getting much damage.
I think i'm going to end up getting the ShengQi with some Proline Bow Tie tyres mounted on Desperado wheels [link=http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/PL1150-13.html]Front[/link] [link=http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/PL1151-13.html]Rear[/link]
Theyr'e quite expensive but i'm saving so much money getting the ShengQi, it gives me money to spend on upgrades for it, and it's pretty pointless having that much power and no grip to put it to the ground with
Cheaper tyres are available as you could just use the stock wheels with a set of HPI tyres. I'm not because i will use the paddles some times so i don't want to have to change the tyres constsantly, it's easier to change the wheels.
I know the KM one is not far off being as expensive as an HPI one but the V2 HPI is £800 and all the upgrades on the KM would cost a lot to do to a stock Baja.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:48 AM
Kostenko

Guys, Shenqi is de worst of all clones but some people are very lucky and happy with it.

Rovan is a little better but the KM gets all the credits most of the time in durability and good plastics.

But overal i think that the clones are too high priced compared to the Real HPI's.

Last but not least....word spreads that all 5B and 5T clones are coming out of the same factory.
It would be no suprise since i've been in HK several times and saw the same thing with all those trading company's around.

So if you deside on taking a clone...give them a big price kick under their bottoms.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:15 AM
dsales

ORIGINAL: Blitzer Fan

and im still not sure about import tax..i heard that we dont pay tax for things from asia..i just got US$120 from hong kong and didnt get taxed...but yeh..a big box might be different...
Haha you wish lol.
Try looking for the original Baja 5B, I bought mine for £580 new from Modelsport last year, there may still be some around which have not been sold.
Also, you should be able to find a good second hand Baja off ebay really cheap and it will still be better and outlast the clones.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Blitzer Fan

Well they cant all come from the same factory if your saying its ShengQi<Rovan<KM

or is that just me?..i might still look for the HPI though Sales...otherwise ShengQi here i come lol..
Old 08-15-2009, 09:10 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Kostenko

Guys, Shenqi is de worst of all clones but some people are very lucky and happy with it.

Rovan is a little better but the KM gets all the credits most of the time in durability and good plastics.

But overal i think that the clones are too high priced compared to the Real HPI's.

Last but not least....word spreads that all 5B and 5T clones are coming out of the same factory.
It would be no suprise since i've been in HK several times and saw the same thing with all those trading company's around.

So if you deside on taking a clone...give them a big price kick under their bottoms.

I have to agree with you on this..
I own a KM and love big scale gas rc!
for the extra money I've had to put into my KM I could have had a HPI with better parts over the clones and actually saved a few bucks and the time taking the KM apart each time something broke that I replaced with HPI parts..
but up front it was a cheaper way to get into the big scale hobby
Old 08-16-2009, 05:17 AM
hasslesnt

you may want to check out this other forum which has a very good discussion between the clones. I would not worry about the Shen Qui and just stick with the KM or the Rovan

www.ozlargescale.com

They have a large group of users with both the KM and the Rovan and will let you know what the diferences are between them. Personally I believe the KM is the better unit with the SS clone released as you are getting a large amount of extras such as the VVC shocks, pipes and alloy upgrades etc for the money, but I believ Rovan has just upgraded as well with the metal roll cage, pipe, larger shocks, spark plug cover and the 2.4 ghz.

Either way be it a HPI or clone you will still break parts and have to upgrade anyway.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:12 AM
srt10

but with an HPI you will break less..
KM owners who break parts including myself put HPI parts on the KM and have less or no more issues!
Original HPI parts are better than the clones..
Old 08-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Blitzer Fan

ORIGINAL: hasslesnt

you may want to check out this other forum which has a very good discussion between the clones. I would not worry about the Shen Qui and just stick with the KM or the Rovan

www.ozlargescale.com

They have a large group of users with both the KM and the Rovan and will let you know what the diferences are between them. Personally I believe the KM is the better unit with the SS clone released as you are getting a large amount of extras such as the VVC shocks, pipes and alloy upgrades etc for the money, but I believ Rovan has just upgraded as well with the metal roll cage, pipe, larger shocks, spark plug cover and the 2.4 ghz.

Either way be it a HPI or clone you will still break parts and have to upgrade anyway.
thanks for the info hassle! ill get trolling :P
Old 08-16-2009, 06:40 PM
SAVAGEJIM

No, please dont troll. RCU has been through this kind of conflict before where the Mods and the Owner had to talk to the other site owners and admins to put out fires. If anything, if you are intent of such, at least leave RCU and we RCU members out of it; I personally do not want to see such a conflict rise up again.

Also, bear in mind that some RCU members are actually owners, administrators, and mods of several other sites.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:35 PM
srt10

and was that a pain...
Old 08-16-2009, 11:03 PM
hasslesnt

no fires intended at all savage jim and srt10. he was just after some information and i pointed him to a site where his questions would be answered.

personally i have a hpi ss, but he was specifically looking for a clone thats all, yes hpi are better and you will break less on it, but it will still break anyways. otherwise you are not trying enough
Old 08-17-2009, 04:40 AM
Blitzer Fan

Yeh, thats not what i meant...I meant that i was just going to start going through all the threads..looking for information..im not even registered there..just been reading on all the people with their rovans....they seem pretty happy with it...

just the usual plastics/wheels breaking they all seem very happy with it, they all say its really fast aswell..seriously looking at getting this thing now..
Old 08-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Sir Not Appearing

That would be lurking, not trolling.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:47 PM
TCB 81

go with the km-002 you wont be disappointed.....
Old 09-19-2009, 11:42 AM
EngageRC

rovan 29cc's drive train is upgraded with lot of metalic gears.
putting 29cc or high torque engine on a 23cc base (drive train) would add lot of stress on the gears and bearings..
Old 09-19-2009, 06:08 PM
JohnnyGreed

Im in the same situation here. Looking for a clone and choosing from KM or Rovan... I can get the KM KSRC-01 for 400$ + 145$ shipping. And the Rovan 26cc is 495$ + 135$ shipping. The problem is the taxes and stuff. Theres no way a large box like this will go undetected through the customs here in Sweden. So there will be at least 150$ extra to get it.

I have not decided yet but the Rovan looks nice and it comes with a 2,4ghz radio and stuff. There are some people talking about weak plastic on the Rovan. But on the other hand several people seems to have problem with the KM engine?!!?
Old 06-12-2015, 03:51 AM
Baja bam

[TABLE="class: tborder user-postbit-left-user, width: 100%, align: center"]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt2"]Proof ROVAN & KM Equals HPI quality

[HR][/HR]What's wrong with everyone thinking that just because HPI is made in America it's better ..... Wrong ! Wrong ! ..... ROVAN & Sister KING MOTOR made in Asia are not clones there or any other place in the world only in the American market . let's put one simple ( TRUTH ) out on the table .... COMPATIBILITY a ROVAN or KING MOTOR 5B can use a Integy brand 5b Aluminum Alloy transmission or KING MOTOR brand 5b Alloy aluminum transmission both are top of the line (Required) upgrades ..... both the HPI 5b & ROVAN 5b or KM 5b come stock full of plastic parts HPI claims there plastic parts are stronger ..well any and all plastic breaks that's why there are complete list of (UPGRADE ALUMINUM PARTS ) available & interchangeable/compatible any upgrade part available for HPI fits & is available ROVAN & KM baja 5b's .... but hold on ROVAN don't need to rely HPI parts suppliers .... ASIA which includes China,Taiwan & Japan has multiple high tech U.S.A American companies & their ( OWN ) with topline CNC & plastic machinery & good ol american know how producing ( Baja 5B ) industry (stringent & demanding ) specifications CNC Aluminum Alloy parts for ROVAN, KING MOTOR & Guess what some for HPI ..... The point i'm making is HPI or ROVAN & KM ..... will need it's plastic replaced with upgraded aluminum alloy parts especially & first the stock plastic transmission. i fully upgraded my (New) paid $465.00 for mine to $525.00 ROVAN 5B from stock ( added ) $1000.00 upgraded aluminum alloy parts ROVAN (Total ) Max $1525.00 it's very strong & robust in my opinion better stronger then a HPI 5B..... if you want to upgrade a HPI with a starting price of $925.00 to $1250.00 you will still need to add $1000.00 in aluminum upgrades. so basically ROVANS & KING MOTOR 5B's Aluminum upgraded & bling bling tricked out will cost you about $1525.00 +/-... HPI 5B Aluminum upgraded & bling bling tricked out will cost $1925.00 to $2250.00 .......................... and it will still perform the same as a ROVAN or KM

ROVAN & KING MOTOR are not clones if HPI can't exceed them parts or looks wise

Here's the problem with the debate HPI vs Rovan RC & King Motors which are sisters in the 1/5 scale RC buggy war both Asia based company's ...... it's the old fashion ideals of U.S.A Made ( HPI ) vs Made in China ( Rovan RC & KM ) in which many U.S.A company's have moved & opened up for cheap labor bad for us here job wise & these company's take top notch technological CNC American machinery & know how.... So in saying that because of the U.S.A ( CHINA ) makes good products too after keying in the GOGGLE ? question ( Where do HPI parts come from ? ) Answer: all oversea's BOOM RACING, GPM RACING, RPM RACING, TOP CAD & MADMAX all are part of the www.asiatees.comnetwork .... key word Asia i also found out the also supply Rovan RC and KM/KING MOTOR as they must for company financial success and as i said they are useing very good American CNC machinery and plastic injection molding machinery the only question to be raised is plastic formulation or good quality plastic's ....... so HPI parts are made in china & assembled here in the ( good ol U.S.A ) ROVAN RC & KM parts are made in china & assembled in the ( good ol CHINA ) using cheaper labor & thus able to sell far cheaper baja 5B buggy's basically 1/2 price .... SO HERE IS MY ANSWER for you...... -Stock- ROVAN or KING MOTORS you can catch on sale for as low as $465.00 on ebay winning bid ( what i paid ) up to $565.00 tops .... -Stock- HPI you'll pay $1000.00 to $1250.00 .... & no matter HPI, ROVAN or KING MOTORS you will need to upgrade it over time.... in my opinion look for & find a upgraded aluminum alloy and steel transmission as your 2nd upgrade the first should be Air filter Pre-filterer covers & Shock dust covers ..... here's how it went for me i paid $465.00 Stock Rovan 5B threw in $500.00 in aluminum upgrades with the aluminum transmission as primary upgrade & push my ROVAN 5b past HPI durability & appearance still for under $1000.00 loving my ROVAN i decided to go all out full aluminum tossed in another $500.00 and now i can say with confidence that i can leave a HPI in the dust and do it looking good.... try upgrading a HPI you are looking at least $2500.00 project with the same results because we are running the same compatible upgrade parts HPI can't get parts that i can't get ........... so ROVAN ROVAN ROVAN upgraded one final note i challenge any HPI owner to a race of glory in the name of ROVAN RC & KING MOTORS
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: user-postbit-bottom-user"]

[/TD]
[TD="class: alt2_bottom, align: right"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 07-14-2015, 12:28 PM
tcharger

I own a rovan 5b. In my humble opinion, the quality is good. I have ran about a gallon through it, and have yet to break even one piece. And had a couple spills where I fully expected it to limp away. There are issues as with most rtr's (check all your fasteners and the bellcranks/servo saver desperately needs an upgrade) overall I am very pleased at the fun/price factor.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Baja bam

New product on the market ....VIM Rocking butterfly frame FOR HPI BAJA 5B (RV KM Universal )

BAJA 5B (RV KM Universal )
Global original new product ! ! ! ! !

Features:
1 , protection Shock absorber stroke ;

2 , reduce the centrifugal force generated when cornering the vehicle body , to ensure the stability of the car when cornering , is not easy to roll ;

Last edited by Baja bam; 07-14-2015 at 05:09 PM. Reason: adding
Old 01-22-2017, 07:09 PM
HueyC

Hello everyone,

I've recently acquired a Rovan Baja 5B and pull the trigger on upgraded the air filter to "TOP SPEED RC WORLD Air filter Set With Plastic Yellow cover for 1/5 RC Hpi Baja Rovan King Motor 5B 5T 5SC". There was no justification for changing out the foam filter other than this setup caught my attention and I thought it looks like a good upgrade... more air flow possibly.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these style & material of filters. Most importantly, do they perform well and filter out dust/dirt? I have always been Nitro guy and this is my first 1/5 scale so learning as go along. I've paid $25.00 on Amazon for this housing setup and installed it this evening. It loos awesome but that's about it for now. I am worry about longevity or how often it needs to be cleaned; more importantly how to clean it as there is no instructions come with it. I can't seem to find any reviews of this project on either Ebay or Amazon either which makes me kind of nervous.

Your thoughts appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0813[1].JPG
Views:	1787
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	2197775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0814[1].JPG
Views:	1655
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	2197776  

Last edited by HueyC; 01-22-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:41 PM
Baja bam

You made a wise decision on the rovan i.ve had mine for a year now and due to my extensive maintence and the tear-down and repair knowlage i got from building it it has not even had a Hiccup or problem i do need to complete it though with some Aluminum Rims and a O'neil Brothers 8.5 Hp super duper engine upgrade oh and yea the looks are everything to me so i will be adding a 1/5 scale VW Bug body to complete it so i can call it a trophy car ...Man i think i maybe obssesed because i blow it clean after each run and i run ...NOT gasoline but "Coleman Latern fuel and it cooler running they say but the real benefit is in the lack of gas fumes baby Heck yea so i can keep it in the house with me i almost want to put it in bed with me...so we can do it Baja Bam style down and dirty lol lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.