Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

ONE OFF CUSTOM/BEETLE ROOF EXIT PIPE..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

ONE OFF CUSTOM/BEETLE ROOF EXIT PIPE..

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:43 AM
dc2 man
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ONE OFF CUSTOM/BEETLE ROOF EXIT PIPE..

one of a kind............. NEW CUSTOM/BEETLE ROOF EXIT PIPE..

hello lads i thought i would share this new project with you all and i would like to hear your thought on this new project.

GENERAL REASONS FOR PROJECT-

weight /noise reduction are some of the reasons here.

so i have been usung the jetpro v2 silensed pipe,good performance good looks but thats where it ends..i had a custum side stand for this pipe that went from the original mounting bracket point to the chassis to improve stability and help make it more solid,but it constantly gave me trouble.....leaked the whole time.i just got fed up with that oil leaking around my elcon system and fouling the alloy,also the WEIGHT of this pipe is ridiclous.......and 3rd point i want to make is that when pipe was mounted [hassle also to do] i had no room what so ever to get at anything on the rear end,couldnt get at adjustable shocks with out getting burnt,could not use my fitler cover for sand that they really require in the sand....it was just a pain in the ass....

NEW PIPE-
i will show pics at the bottom of the new pipe fitted,it is actually a high rpm tuned onroad pipe which is so light you cant even feel the weight in your hand it is very easy to install/remove,very light,stainless steel and has the possibility for three differnt positions from rotating it in its exhaust coupling flange.......one is rear exit like a samba,other is roof exit [my choice] and onroad car type side position.....

MODS TO NEW PIPE
me and my friend who is a fabricator have been looking over this for a while and we will begin work on pipe early next week,it will involve cutting/welding and adding extra pipe,as it is its mounted on the desired position but i need to get the manifold exit pipe as straight as possible to inhibit exhaust gas flow......like a samba pipe.......so this will involve cutting/moving pipe on manifold to get to desired position.....to fit this stainless onroad type pipe already required cutting and some welding to make it fit.

WEIGHT REDUCTION....

this is my first step at reducing this fg weight and so far IT IS AWESOME....i can actually lift car now lol,,,,,,,,,also its god damm nice to start this now with out being deafned as the onroad silenser is excellent......lads dont fool yourselves as SOME offroad pipes are a joke and jetpros are just for scooters......they dont even mount properly on these things.......i prob wont even sell mine,spare some misfortune the hassle.
seems as exhaust gas temps are extremly high the best position for a pipe would be facing upward to increase gas exit speed.
this is effectivly a mid to high pipe as i can feel awesome performance in the mid section

TEST VIDEOS-
remember that pipe hasnt even been modified yet eg-the welding and fitting straight pipe from manifold.
1/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZqKwouhYbk
2/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Xr-nxbVH8

the cement mixer nearly took it out here on first video hahahaha

my opinion here is that SOME offroad pipes are all too loud.........waste of time.....its all about POWER-WEIGHT ratio at the moment with this machine.
and a little peace and quite whilst driving it without loosing my much needed ears lol
but remember that a stock plastic model fg will benifit hugely from a jetpro or other tuned pipe as over all car weight in stock form is low but these alloy beasts are in a whole differnt league.
this pipe sounds awesome but not deafning or ear piercingly loud.

let me know your thoughts.

stay tuned as this is going to be intresting for me as i have a lot of work to do on this.
dc2

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25312.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1259744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23846.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1259745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms43049.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1259746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23327.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1259747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75249.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1259748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49547.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1259749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16882.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1259750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53082.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1259751  

Click image for larger version

Name:	In26750.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1259752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30211.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1259753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60682.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1259754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20899.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	1259755  
Old 08-20-2009, 12:17 PM
kryptonite5b
My Feedback: (-2)

Default RE: ONE OFF CUSTOM/BEETLE ROOF EXIT PIPE..

lol.. im not sure what to think about that stainless steel(?) one-off pipe you have their bud. it apears a though it is a knock off pipe of the fg on-road(nutech). on-road pipes are diffrent then off-road pipe. i cant imagine anyone really wanting less low end torque. good luck to you and your "fabricator"

"krypt"
Old 08-20-2009, 01:09 PM
savagecommander

that first bend right out of the port just said bye bye to any power you could have made- and dont say jetpros are for scooters, i saw a race ported 27.2 at silver lake that opened my eyes.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:11 PM
dc2 man
Banned

lol i suggest you read over this thread again says you the fg expert lol lol

yes its an onroad pipe and yes a nutech one which i got from them recently same as on the new gt5-r

it will out perform any pipe by the time we are done with it.

and this is a totally differnt engine we speak of here nothing like you run kryptonite im afraid.......so who mentioned loss of low end???

this is just the start and we havnt done any mods to manifold yet........it will be the same as an offroad pipe but better/quiter....

i have all this allready stated above....

lol

dc2

Old 08-20-2009, 01:14 PM
dc2 man
Banned

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

that first bend right out of the port just said bye bye to any power you could have made- and dont say jetpros are for scooters, i saw a race ported 27.2 at silver lake that opened my eyes.
do me a favour and READ OVER THIS THREAD before you comment please?

i wrote down that we are modifing that part...............

god........... no offence meant s/comander but if you read the thread its all there

and lads dont be getting sour over me cutting offroad pipes........its my opinion some are just junk......

iv had loads of them so i do know what im talking about

this is just the start and we havnt done any mods to manifold yet........it will be the same as an offroad pipe but better/quiter....

i have all this allready stated above....

Old 08-20-2009, 01:24 PM
kryptonite5b
My Feedback: (-2)

ok bra. no big deal. i did read the post. i saw the vid and the pics finished off(priceless). i'll just leave at what you say. redcats are clones. all off-road pipes are junk. good luck with your fab work. all the best to ya. oh ya. and that nutech is a clone of a clone. just like that stainless steel(?) pipe.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:32 PM
dc2 man
Banned

well my opinion i would go with mcd over them rampages any day.

nutech is a clone but its also complete alloy out of the box,small bit of a differnce.

look im not on here to fight with anybody,im saying that MY OWN jetpro pipe was a load of crap along with a hell of a lot of other pipeson the market but obviously not all....i like rn tuning pipes,milkie pipes,samba.....there are a good few nice ones also available but not many im afraid.

i can even see better performace gains from this already imagine and we havnt it even modified...........

it will look the same as an offroad pipe when finished,i said that already [like a samba from manifold] but it will just benifit from a better silenser......

im 30 now and want to mind my hearing a bit.

so kryptonite if you want to start a ***** fight lol do so on lsf where they are good at it

RCU rules lol
Old 08-20-2009, 01:36 PM
dc2 man
Banned

but hey krypton you are intitled to your opinion man and i dont care.......you do your thing and ill do mine.....

but its the way some people word there opinions some times thats the problem isnt it.....?.......

we all have differnt ideas....

but dont cut it as this is far from the finished product.........man im only after starting it give me a break lol
Old 08-20-2009, 02:39 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stainless pipes are far superior to steel or aluminum. That alone you would see an increase.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:47 PM
dc2 man
Banned

thats a fact....

its differnt anyway and 1/4scale you wouldnt believe the weight of this thing before i put this pipe on,the jetpro alone was a heavy pipe.....the whole car was ruined because of weight......but now there is a dramatic differnce in it......the pipe is feather weight and car is already performing more nimble......and we have no manifold work done yet.

i ran it this evening and its so much better quiter....a relief really....

i think it looks mad like this......i am very happy with it.

but i am looking forward to seeing how it performs when we have pipe work done.

cheers
Old 08-20-2009, 04:56 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I am going to try and see if I can find the articles where they say the best material for a 2 cycle exhaust is steel do to holding heat. Many of the HPI Baja after market pipes are made from steel do to this I do believe. The only draw back is the weight.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:31 PM
SAVAGEJIM

DC2, despite all the nay-sayers, hang in there and continue to make your pipe mods. I am interested in seeing what the fully finished unit will look like.

If you have access to a dyno, I'd like to know what this puppy does! (Have you though about sending it to Luntik once you have a final pipe? They have a dyno that is very consistent).
Old 08-20-2009, 06:07 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I sure will be glade when Luntik gets his new site up and running as I sure miss his old one. I am not knocking dc2 man pipe am just trying to pass on some information. I sure you know that.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:09 PM
savagecommander

ORIGINAL: 46u

I am going to try and see if I can find the articles where they say the best material for a 2 cycle exhaust is steel do to holding heat. Many of the HPI Baja after market pipes are made from steel do to this I do believe. The only draw back is the weight.

steel resonates better than aluminum-
Old 08-20-2009, 08:00 PM
dc2 man
Banned

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

DC2, despite all the nay-sayers, hang in there and continue to make your pipe mods. I am interested in seeing what the fully finished unit will look like.

If you have access to a dyno, I'd like to know what this puppy does! (Have you though about sending it to Luntik once you have a final pipe? They have a dyno that is very consistent).
sj that is a good idea and would you believe that thought came to mind earlier about a dyno,it would be very intresting.....i would like to get a hp dyno on the complete motor/pipe set up when complete....

Old 08-21-2009, 02:52 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not quite the same thing, or for the same reason, I did this solely so that I would have room for a rear torque dominator, silencer, wheely bar AND wing mount and wing. My onhly option was to create a roof exit system. It works well, makes the pipe a lot quieter, but extended testing reveals that even the strongest radiator hose doesn't last long as a coupler, due to the position and the weight. After a couple of jumps it usually starts to split. I'm going to try sparco hose next.

Here's the thread and my pics.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_76...tm.htm#7670857
Old 08-21-2009, 05:14 AM
dc2 man
Banned

now foxy yours was a fair nice job.........did you leave it that way?

i will keep that in mind now though as them damm flanges/couplings can be a week point.....i will watch that.

but so far im very happy with this man,you see as i said the pipe is so light its hard to believe it,i dont have the rubber week coupling flange on there also i have the upgraded version which is tough.....your pipe looks heavy even the end silenser?

im going to go ahead anyway with it and see how it goes,already i much prefer it to that damm j/pro.

i should be starting mods to manifold next week...

ah sure,gives me something to be messing with lol i was getting bored of the same look...
Old 08-21-2009, 05:27 AM
Foxy

It's not like that at the moment, no, but the car hasn't been run for months. The setup is still intact though, all I have to do is couple up the silencer and it'll be like it was in the pics, a 1 minute job. Depends where I run next whether or not I am forced to put it on. There's a law in Greece that if you want to do a hobby that makes noise (RC, shooting, racing, etc), you need to be at least 500m from the nearest house. That's surprisingly difficult here in Athens, so I am forced to try to keep the noise down.

EDIT: PS. The silencer weighs next to nothing, but the thick steel dominator torque pipe is extremely heavy, no doubt about it.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:34 AM
dc2 man
Banned

yeah here its nothing to be worried about but i just find the noise tiresome myself,its like running the car without any pipe to use a jetpro silensed......man i couldnt even imagine the unsilensed version....ahhhh...

im tired of loud pipes,with this set up the beetle is a dream to run.

i believe its the first beetle i have seen to use this type of onroad pipe set up....

Old 08-21-2009, 05:48 AM
dc2 man
Banned

can i make one valuable point here lads......i will do it in stages to make it asier to explain......

1/ ok so we all started out with a beetle/monster out of the box with a zenoah 26cc ok? the complete car was plastic right? and well fast enough.....

2/ so we craved more power............got a tuned pipe.....[and man are some of these heavy]...loved the wheelie bopping power we saw.....but then quickly realised that car was breaking at an alarming rate.......

3/ so we alloyed here alloyed there............kept alloying and modifing..........until COMPLETE ALLOY..........now this is the most common route we have all taken with these.

4/ so we are complete alloy but notice a drop in power with stock 26cc engine

5/ so we/me upgrade motor,i use the most powerful i could obtain from hobbythek G270 4 bolt raceported blueprinted hand built motor but find the beast too heavy even to move around....putting the car in to my 1/1 car was even a chore.....this motor could handle double this weight being honest,i can even toe my heavy allu tralier with nutech alloy car [tralier flat tyres lol] but its not the point less weight = even more power....

6/ but one downside to alloy is the bloody weight,the origional charectheristics of this machine has chaged sinse day one,i mean they come out of box feather weight.

7/ so that brings me here to this stage/ WEIGHT REDUCTION..... hence pipe to start with...i wont loose any of my alloy but may look in to other areas.......there is always a back up plan lol
Old 08-21-2009, 05:59 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: dc2 man

can i make one valuable point here lads......i will do it in stages to make it asier to explain......

1/ ok so we all started out with a beetle/monster out of the box with a zenoah 26cc ok? the complete car was plastic right? and well fast enough.....

2/ so we craved more power............got a tuned pipe.....[and man are some of these heavy]...loved the wheelie bopping power we saw.....but then quickly realised that car was breaking at an alarming rate.......

3/ so we alloyed here alloyed there............kept alloying and modifing..........until COMPLETE ALLOY..........now this is the most common route we have all taken with these.

4/ so we are complete alloy but notice a drop in power with stock 26cc engine

5/ so we/me upgrade motor,i use the most powerful i could obtain from hobbythek G270 4 bolt raceported blueprinted hand built motor but find the beast too heavy even to move around....putting the car in to my 1/1 car was even a chore.....this motor could handle double this weight being honest,i can even toe my heavy allu tralier with nutech alloy car [tralier flat tyres lol] but its not the point less weight = even more power....

6/ but one downside to alloy is the bloody weight,the origional charectheristics of this machine has chaged sinse day one,i mean they come out of box feather weight.

7/ so that brings me here to this stage/ WEIGHT REDUCTION..... hence pipe to start with...i wont loose any of my alloy but may look in to other areas.......there is always a back up plan lol
All of what you say is valid up to the end of point 3. There are only 5 pieces which are essential for structural integrity, to be alloy. Clutch carrier, rear upper arms, engine mount short, engine mount long and the alloy driveline brake parts (notfor the brakes themselves, but for the fact that it makes the clutch and spur carrier one piece, and adds rigidity to the chassis). I will not be adding any more weight to this car, and therefore it is still a relative lightweight. In my opinion, unless hardcore racing, you are better off with most of the plastic parts, for the reasons you mentioned. The Zen 26 runs like a dream and is absolutely worry free. If I got so heavy that this engine was no longer fulfilling my needs, I'd have to look back and see where I went wrong with the mods, this isn't the tank forum.

First rule of all racing, on any surface... Tire selection...
Second rule... Weight reduction.

The third and all the other important rules are a LONG way down the 'actual effect on driving' list.

Still, if you're looking for light quiet pipes, look no further than the FG pipes, they make great midrange power, are made of aluminium, and are very quiet.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:14 AM
dc2 man
Banned

well foxy i dont mean to be smart or anything but i used go 80miles to a beach with the family on a sunday and take my stock fg ish with some vital upgrades alloy [this is ages ago befor any major mods] and it was the biggest waste of time,i couldnt believe my eyes when i started bashing how fast it was breaking ahhh everthing on this beetle that was upgraded needed to be.......and thats from my own testing.....and believe me i got plenty vids bashing to proove that.......

the most horrible thing is the plastic engine mounts you mentioned,i tryed everything with them..........cutting a long story short the elcon drivetrain saw an end to that anoying engine moveing around flaw thats so common on these...

but maybe with your set up you may have had the paitence and sort out your plastic parts to or mod them to hold up with the abuse,i just hadnt the paitence.

but i agree with you foxy and your right there about one thing not all alloy is required in these things.......the front stock a-arms are very good and just dont give trouble,i alloyed mine out of just personal prefernce......and they look great..... but not all alloy is essentila at all. its all down to your own preferences.

if you are running trouble free with your set up good stuff and more power to you,i guess i was unlucky with my choice of JUMPS lol....

i wouldnt ever go back to a stock plastic fg EVER....

i have this upgraded to the level that i wanted now,say bulletproff......with the weight i have shed with this pipe i have the perfect balance
Old 08-21-2009, 06:29 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Foxy does have a point. The FG tuned pipes are light and do pull significantly more power out of any stock engine you mount them onto.

The few problem I have with them is, because they are aluminum, they get beaten up really badly. Not good, the pipe would cost me well more than $150 USD to replace[:@]
Also, the rubber heat coupling comes of alot. When the RC tumbles, everytime the front end hits the ground as it is tumbling head over heels, that shock causes the pipe to go forward and pull itself out of that coupling. The hose clam comes loose, the flared end of the pipe that the hose goes over becomes un-flared, the additional wire mounts that hold the pipe to the roll cage get bent.

DDM has corrected this by making the pipe and manifold a single piece and making it mount by a very solid and secure means. But the dominator pipe is a huge piece and heavy.

This is why I am curious how your pipe mods are going to develop.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:36 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: dc2 man

well foxy i dont mean to be smart or anything but i used go 80miles to a beach with the family on a sunday and take my stock fg ish with some vital upgrades alloy [this is ages ago befor any major mods] and it was the biggest waste of time,i couldnt believe my eyes when i started bashing how fast it was breaking ahhh everthing on this beetle that was upgraded needed to be.......and thats from my own testing.....and believe me i got plenty vids bashing to proove that.......

the most horrible thing is the plastic engine mounts you mentioned,i tryed everything with them..........cutting a long story short the elcon drivetrain saw an end to that anoying engine moveing around flaw thats so common on these...

but maybe with your set up you may have had the paitence and sort out your plastic parts to or mod them to hold up with the abuse,i just hadnt the paitence.

but i agree with you foxy and your right there about one thing not all alloy is required in these things.......the front stock a-arms are very good and just dont give trouble,i alloyed mine out of just personal prefernce......and they look great..... but not all alloy is essentila at all. its all down to your own preferences.

if you are running trouble free with your set up good stuff and more power to you,i guess i was unlucky with my choice of JUMPS lol....

i wouldnt ever go back to a stock plastic fg EVER....

i have this upgraded to the level that i wanted now,say bulletproff......with the weight i have shed with this pipe i have the perfect balance
OK then, for your case, I would also get the alloy diff mounts but no more than that. You just got bit by the shiny shiny bug, admit it.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:50 AM
dc2 man
Banned

yeah i got bitten right bad with it and my bank account also got a chunk bitten out of it haha lol

sj
for all of those who are intrested in this thread i would love to hand you this onroad pipe personally just for you to feel the weight differnce......you wouldnt believe it.... [ i sound like a dogey pipe salesman here lol] hah..... no seriously though i reckon its prop 70percent lighter than an fg one....

its feather weight...

but care would need to be taken with this pipe/offroad set up now as they are very easily damaged.....strong for what they are but vulnerable.....

the fg pipe are a great performance pipe for sure but compared to this they are like lead...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.