Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

CPI big bore pipe

Old 10-25-2009, 06:41 PM
fastlane01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPI big bore pipe

Has anyone tried this pipe? I will be putting one on my redcat rampage tt It's made for a baja but I spoke to people at CPI and they are interested in getting on to fit a rampage. I will post pics soon
Old 10-25-2009, 07:07 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: CPI big bore pipe

What engine are you going to run it on? I have both the standard and big bore pipe. I have not run the big bore pipe yet as I do not have any of my bigger displacement engines done yet but hope to shortly. Matter of fact I need to call Mike owner of CPI tomorrow as he is suppose to have something ready for me. I talked to some at the Baja Challenge at Diggers Dungeon last weekend that like the standard pipe even on bigger engines better.

Here is a link talking about the CPI pipe.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8989168/tm.htm
Old 10-25-2009, 09:24 PM
fastlane01

I have a race ported 28.9cc I wanted more power and the ability to use a 5b dessert rat conversion body. Also loose a little weight.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:17 AM
46u

Being the CPI pipe is made of steel it is far from light. But as far as performance steel is the best materiel to make a pipe out of. This is only hear say as I have not run my big bore CPI pipe yet only my standard pipe on a stock engine and the standard pipe works great on the stock engine but those that have run both the big bore and standard pipe on larger displacement engine claim that the low and mid are better then the standard pipe but the top is not as good.

The only grips I have with the CPI pipe which are ones that others have is I have to weld the bottom mount back on and so far the pipe leaks after a few runs at the O-ring where the header and pipe go together. If you check the link I posted above you will see I am not the only one! I have some different types of o-rings to try and why I have to call Mike of CPI is when the O-ring went on mine the vibration wore the header down around.015 and the O-ring does nothing to seal now. I like the performance of the CPI but the bottom mount I will weld back on and make a brace for it and on my big bore will make a brace before I run it and then the leaking problem as it blows oil all over the back of the engine.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:46 AM
monsterbrad

this is that same problem I have had with my black one.
The O-ring leaks and the bottom bracket broke first time out.
Had that welded and seems to hold up just fine.
the o-ring problem I am still waiting for 46U to send me a couple of his try out ones
Old 10-26-2009, 10:10 AM
46u

ORIGINAL: monsterbrad

I am still waiting for 46U to send me a couple of his try out ones
PM me for prices.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:58 PM
pwaicon

I haven’t had any of the problems with my CPI pipe discussed. I am however no fool and decided to address the mounting brackets and o-ring seal. I did notice the brackets are only welded on one side so I completely welded the brackets to the pipe and so far so good. As for the o-ring issue I just installed DDM’S no leak coupler [link]http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.6447/.f[/link] and I haven’t had any leaking issues yet. It is a great pipe and these are small issue CPI should have no problem fixing.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:55 PM
46u

So that will work even with the big difference between the header dia and the pipe dia?

I know that CPI have 3 different ways they made there pipe My standard CPI was stamped out by some one else and Mike welds them together which is the version 2. The first version or proto type the 180 degree are made out of small sections of pipe which is there proto pipe. Scot and Troy of Large scale RC had this version at Diggers Dungeons race I attended. The the 3rd version is like my Big Bore CPI pipe and Mike at CPI stamps all his own parts now. Mike designed all of them. My standard pipe the bracket was welded on both sides. The weld did not break as the metal broke after the weld. So the weld was good but my big bore CPI is only on one side. I have a small mig welder and will work on both and reinforce them as well.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:42 AM
pwaicon

Yep, it fits nice. You have to stretch it over the pipe and it fits snug on the header, I did use a zip tie and not the included hose clamp. I will take a pic and post it up later today.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:43 PM
pwaicon

Here is the pic of the coupler installed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79278.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	1303306  
Old 10-28-2009, 10:59 AM
monsterbrad

that with the combination of the newer O-Ring should fix the problem.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:56 AM
Bainbo

how the hell did you get that coupler on. I've been ttrying for 2 hours and cant get it on for the life of me
Old 01-21-2010, 01:51 PM
pwaicon

I fitted it over the pipe first and then slid it over the header. You do have to stretch it a bit to get it over the pipe but it shouldn’t be too difficult.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Bainbo

I eventually got it on. After another hour and a half of pushing, pulling, grunting, swearing and bleeding I decided to try fitting it to the header first and it popped straight on.
One thing i had to do was spead the pipe at the bottom of the loop with a screwdriver to allow the coupler to fit between the pipes.
Thanks for the quick reply
Old 01-22-2010, 10:55 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

I plan on getting this pipe for my Baja I hope it is as good as everyone says[X(][X(]