Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Is this the new HPI 5b/T 4wd???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 06:22 PM
mooman007uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the new HPI 5b/T 4wd???

I'm bored today, too cold to go out, so have been browsing around and ask ...could this be the the new HPI long awaited 5b/T 4wd!!!!

It's not new as I've seen this belt drive system posted here on RCU or versions of it before (but have never seen the actual truck advertised), one with the belt hub at the front like this one and another with one belt running down the side....FG have proven belts to be reliable so have lauterbacher so just maybe HPI..considering it's a bolt on and hence much cheaper than actually designing an all new truck (they seem to be going the traxxas lazy man's route more and more and manipulating, upgrading additional platforms) have decided to go with a belt system

This one is a KL, however seeing as HPI are made in China/taiwan and some believe (myself included) that many of the 5b clones could well be made in the same factory this could be what HPI will release at the Nuremberg model show in Feb 2010

This does pose an interesrting question though if this turns out to be the one...KL have already released pictures and info on this (not available yet though) so would that make the HPI version a clone of the KL[sm=72_72.gif]

So whad'ya think, could this really be it? or just a KL fudge...the patent is under KL

[link]http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/kaleetoy/product-detailnoTEMqsuaikr/China-1-5-Scale-Gasoline-Powered-4WD-Off-Road-Truck-KL-102341-.html[/link]

Old 12-26-2009, 07:39 PM
IloveMYxt2

Default RE: Is this the new HPI 5b/T 4wd???

Im with you about the Baja being made in the same warehouse as the "clones." They are all from the same company, just labeled different. And no I dont want a wasteful clone war going on.

But this could be the "newly designed by the HPI guys in North America" 4wd truck. I dont like the tires though, too big. But 4wd would be awesome
Old 12-26-2009, 08:28 PM
IONIC-M

Yea as said above. The tires are a little big. But the truck looks really nice.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Nutech Racing

I saw this clone 1.5-2 years ago.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:53 PM
mooman007uk

wow, under development for nearly 2 years, that's a long time...they must have just sat around most of the time drinking coffee
Old 12-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Nutech Racing

I know the "designer" of the car
Old 12-26-2009, 09:29 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Yes, Chris is right. The Kalee has been out for several years now, and even has been for sale by some very small time sellers (most of whom I would really question sending money too).

As for the illicit cloner factories actually being OEM subcontractors of HPI, I do find that dubious, but I know that until substantial proof is provided to prove one way or another, the possibility does exist.

However, I do believe that this kind of information could be really misinformation being spread by less than honest importer-sellers who want to pump up the clones to appear to be as superior as a real HPI.

Don't get me wrong, the illicit cloner factory subcontractors might really subcontractors of HPI, in that case, I am angry at HPI for doing that and I say they deserve it because they should never have hired such crooked factories in the first place. Regardless, if the illicit cloner OEM factory is not paying proper rights and/or have a proper agreement with HPI to sell excess RC under their own badge, I personally do not condone such a thing.

Now, if the cloner subcontracting OEM factory does have a proper agreement/rights and/or is paying proper royalties to HPI, then I see absolutely nothing wrong with it; but I absolutely want to know that they are not making these illicitly.

But before that, and first things first, I want to know conclusively that the cloner factories are REALLY subcontracted as OEM factories by HPI. This rumor has been out for so long on dozens of RC sites, yet I have yet to see proof that the cloner factories are indeed subcontracted by HPI as OEM makers. Word directly from HPI would be best.

HPI, if you even see this, this is a challenge to you to answer this.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:09 PM
mooman007uk

great points...are HPI playing both ends of the market or having their vendors back door their design...some worker sneaking the blueprints to their uncle at another factory or what have you...we'll probably never really know
I'll add that after many posts on RCU some copies had/have slightly different formulas for plastics etc so weren't exactly the same truck being put into different boxes.

I'll sure this'll rage on but my intention starting this thread wasn't for another clone war ...I've absolutely no interest in that at all...just wondered if this might be the planned "new 1/5" to be unveiled In Germany in Feb by HPI...guess Feb will a month we'll all be watching out for
Old 12-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Obeast44

I asked EngageRC about the wheels/tires off one a few weeks ago for my Rampage w/ Vertigo Baja Hubs. They said the quality wasnt proven yet.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:22 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I am surprised he actually said that. Based on his actions here on RCU and what he has done, I personally would not trust Ken (EngageRC, puff) as far as I could throw him.

I personally bet that he said that to fool us into believing that he is testing these products he is trying to peddle to us when in reality he is not. I really think he is only saying that because that is what we want to hear, yet he most likely will do nothing but say "I fixed the problem with the factory." I would like to see proof that he is testing and addressing problems with the factories he buys from.

I would much rather buy from Scott from ZeroGravity or Kostenko instead, they actually test the products, urge the factories to fix problems, and most of all, they are honest with the public (we RC fans) with their findings and efforts. These two guys have even provided pictures of their testing and efforts. Just like other testers have done (Foxy for example when he tested the TB2 RC), these guys had the fortitude to be honest. They have earned my trust.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:29 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: mooman007uk

wow, under development for nearly 2 years, that's a long time...they must have just sat around most of the time drinking coffee
not coffee ,tea!lol
Old 12-27-2009, 01:52 AM
SAVAGEJIM

As for HPI making the 5B/T 4WD, I do hope they do not go the belt route like Kalee has.

Here is my reasoning: The Kalee belt drive is exposed; thus rocks, sticks, and whatever else taht can work in, will do a number of things, including chewing up teeth and all.

FG belt for off road is a sucess because it is completely enclosed. No part of the belt is open or sees air. Even dirt and diust will have a hard time getting at that belt due to the way FG has fully enclosed the belt drive system.

If HPI can do a fully enclosed belt system, then yes, I think it can be viable. But if not, I say they need to go shaft driven.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:27 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: IloveMYxt2

Im with you about the Baja being made in the same warehouse as the ''clones.'' They are all from the same company, just labeled different. And no I dont want a wasteful clone war going on.

But this could be the ''newly designed by the HPI guys in North America'' 4wd truck. I dont like the tires though, too big. But 4wd would be awesome

I agree.. It is just like GM making their cars, pontiac,caddy,Aveo "AKA" daewo (made in korea) ford having their cars, focus made in MEXICO,the licnoln,the edge,the f150...
Old 12-27-2009, 10:20 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Im with you about the Baja being made in the same warehouse as the ''clones.'' They are all from the same company, just labeled different. And no I dont want a wasteful clone war going on.

But this could be the ''newly designed by the HPI guys in North America'' 4wd truck. I dont like the tires though, too big. But 4wd would be awesome
I definitely don't want a clone war either, but as I have already said, there is no substantial proof that the cloner factories, illicit or legitimate, are indeed OEM subcontractors of HPI. This rumor has been out for so long on dozens of RC sites, yet I have yet to see proof that the cloner factories are indeed subcontracted by HPI as OEM makers. I perosnally really want to hear from HPI directly on this matter.

HPI, again, I challenge you to answer this. Revealing this information to the public will not give your competition and corporate spies any advantage, because if you, HPI, have hired crooked factories, they would not need to spy on you to steal your RC plans. Because if you did hire such shady guys, you would have given the plans to them so the can make your parts/RCs. And most of all, in the future, DON'T DEAL WITH GUYS LIKE THESE ANYMORE! All they do is hurt the entire RC industry.

I am still a huge HPI fan, so this is not a bash on HPI, it is a demanding of the truth, something that we, all the RC fans, deserve and have the right to know. This might sound really funny coming form a big HPI fan, but I tell you, I am also one of HPI's biggest critics.

But also, I urge the rest of you RC fans not to believe the rumors that HPI does hire cloner factories as OEM makers; at least until HPI actually speaks and confirms or proof otherwise is revealed.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Obeast44

I defintiely agree with ya Savagejim about EngageRC. I would prefer to deal with Zerogravity for sure, got my CN35cc from him. Nothing but a pleasure to deal with. I asked EnageRC about it because they had it on their site. I assumed theyd know something about it...you know what they say about "assuming" something right? I was just looking into wheel/tire options for my Baja hubbed Rampage for LargescaleRCs event in June. Im having trouble finding MT wheels/tires that I like that work with Baja Hubs. and Those are the most promising ones ive seen.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:12 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Good point. Have you tried to look at Rob's site, Rampagehopups? he usually has stuff made specifically for Rampage RCs.

Regardless, I do hope you find hubs that will go onto you RC nicely.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:28 PM
mooman007uk

all the best looking MT wheels and tires now, and much lighter than the ramps, have the fg square it seems...looks like that is becoming the hub of choice now with all the products coming from China...it would be nice to get a complete modded outdrive for the rampage that is for a wheel square, there are adapters from ams but they are way too wide when fitted....if you got access to a lathe and mill fg style outdrives would be a cinch to machine for the ramp then throw on some black or yellow nutech MT wheels/tires (the white ones are not as tough for some reason and we have broke a few and they failed the hammer test whereas the coloured ones are tough as hell, white ones are currently being troubleshooted by nutech....)

+1 on the belt guards Jim...though the FG still allows some dirt in at the diff ends...small gap there that some have had trouble with, a guarded system would be a must.

Really wish I could get to Nuremberg in Feb...rc heaven there's supposed to be a few big unveilings..one from HPI, one from Nutech and I'm sure quiet a few others...be nice to see Losi and traxxas get onboard with something original but don't think that's on the cards
Old 12-27-2009, 01:06 PM
dc2 man
Banned

man its a nice looking machine though
Old 12-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Obeast44

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Good point. Have you tried to look at Rob's site, Rampagehopups? he usually has stuff made specifically for Rampage RCs.

Regardless, I do hope you find hubs that will go onto you RC nicely.
Trust me im a regular on RRF and Ive made a few orders from Rob
Im not a fan of the Rampage MT tires for racing, they have little sidebite, and weigh alot. Not a good recipe. For general bashing, they are awesome.

How large are the FG squares?
Old 12-27-2009, 01:53 PM
mooman007uk

18mm and they bolt on axles that I think are 8mm...I'll have to check that when I go in the shop...the axles have 2 flats at 90degrees to each other on them for grub screws to bite into
Old 12-27-2009, 07:29 PM
RAMTech-HBF-LSF

Always interesting reading from you guys.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:43 AM
Vert1go

Ignorance sure is bliss.

Im with you about the Baja being made in the same warehouse as the "clones." They are all from the same company, just labeled different. And no I dont want a wasteful clone war going on.

But this could be the "newly designed by the HPI guys in North America" 4wd truck. I dont like the tires though, too big. But 4wd would be awesome
Old 12-31-2009, 01:46 AM
Vert1go

HPIhas already answered this in other posts. They have stated that the clones are NOT made in the same factory, and that the HPI Bajas are made in THEIRfactory. By the way people, the HPI Bajas are made in Taiwan, and the clones are made in China.

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Yes, Chris is right. The Kalee has been out for several years now, and even has been for sale by some very small time sellers (most of whom I would really question sending money too).

As for the illicit cloner factories actually being OEM subcontractors of HPI, I do find that dubious, but I know that until substantial proof is provided to prove one way or another, the possibility does exist.

However, I do believe that this kind of information could be really misinformation being spread by less than honest importer-sellers who want to pump up the clones to appear to be as superior as a real HPI.

Don't get me wrong, the illicit cloner factory subcontractors might really subcontractors of HPI, in that case, I am angry at HPI for doing that and I say they deserve it because they should never have hired such crooked factories in the first place. Regardless, if the illicit cloner OEM factory is not paying proper rights and/or have a proper agreement with HPI to sell excess RC under their own badge, I personally do not condone such a thing.

Now, if the cloner subcontracting OEM factory does have a proper agreement/rights and/or is paying proper royalties to HPI, then I see absolutely nothing wrong with it; but I absolutely want to know that they are not making these illicitly.

But before that, and first things first, I want to know conclusively that the cloner factories are REALLY subcontracted as OEM factories by HPI. This rumor has been out for so long on dozens of RC sites, yet I have yet to see proof that the cloner factories are indeed subcontracted by HPI as OEM makers. Word directly from HPI would be best.

HPI, if you even see this, this is a challenge to you to answer this.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:35 AM
asphaltcowboy

ORIGINAL: Vert1go

HPI has already answered this in other posts. They have stated that the clones are NOT made in the same factory, and that the HPI Bajas are made in THEIR factory. By the way people, the HPI Bajas are made in Taiwan, and the clones are made in China.
Clone - Factory China :

[link=http://www.rccarsfactory.com/Product/ProductList.asp?CateID=38]King Power[/link]

Old 12-31-2009, 06:47 AM
racoguy

HPI=Taiwan (repbublic of China)
KM=China
Difference=not much, I'd rather pay half the money thanks for what I consider pretty much an equal product.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.