Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Rovan Sports Baja 29cc report

Old 01-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Rallyfinnen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rovan Sports Baja 29cc report

Hello!

Since I have not found any good review of the Rovan, but some mixed opionions, which seemed quite positive, I decided to give it a try, and also make a thorough check and report on my findings..
Well, It's now out of the box and taken apart almost completely. (still need to check the shocks and some other small things)
I can warn you I'm not very positive at the moment!

The post with pictures can be found here:
http://www.rcbash.se/forum/viewtopic...p=12443#p12443

I made comments in english even if it's a Swedish forum, so I'ts all in one place.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:35 PM
JQuest64

Default RE: Rovan Sports Baja 29cc report

ORIGINAL: Rallyfinnen
Judging from the pics, I can certainly see why[X(]...that is ridiculous.

While I cannot read what was written, unless that was hit by a tractor trailer at full speed that is a huge amount of damage.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:39 PM
dc2 man
Banned

lads im not being smart but for god sake can you keep all these anoying clone discussions on the one thread,,,,,,,,,there is a big thread here some place dedicated to these things.

why would people buy these crap toys in the first place is beyond me
Old 01-06-2010, 03:50 PM
dimag093

These guys are unbelievable [X(]
I mean ok,
You always get what you pay for.That goes for the quality of the materials,assembly and finish,but.....BROKEN outta the box [&:]
That's unacceptable
Is there ANY quality control there to give the reassurance that the product been packed is ok [sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-06-2010, 03:57 PM
dc2 man
Banned

my aplogies i didnt even read the post about defective model

i thought it was just another thread about clones which there are a load of threads on them here.

best of luck sorting it
Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Rallyfinnen

ORIGINAL: JQuest64

ORIGINAL: Rallyfinnen
Judging from the pics, I can certainly see why[X(]...that is ridiculous.

While I cannot read what was written, unless that was hit by a tractor trailer at full speed that is a huge amount of damage.
(my comments in english next to the pictures are in brackets like this text, i think you will understand those if you have another look)
I agree, the car should not be in that shape from just sitting in a box, even if the box has some dents from it's trip from China..

dc2man:
I'm not sure if you're referring to the KM thread with almost 200 pages? Other clones seem to be discussed there too, maybe some comments about the Rovan is in there..
I think it's clearer if one thread discusses one specific clone, to keep the reader from mixing the comments for different clones.
It's clear that you hate the clones, and probably for good reasons! Well, I see it like this, the more unbiased information people can (easily) access about the diffrent clones, the more likely it will be that they get a real one (Unless they like tinkering and have a tight budget). All clones in one thread is a bit messy in my opinion, there are a number of clones, and they are all bad in different ways But, I will not go into that discussion. I'm not here to convince anybody to buy, or not buy a clone. I just present my own experience of the car and let everybody else make up their own opinion based on that.
I think that is why these forums are great! I always try to find some info before buying stuff, but reading a 200-page thread is a bit too much for me personally..

Old 01-06-2010, 04:06 PM
dc2 man
Banned

yeah you have a good point there actually too.........

was it faulty out of the box?
i dont hate clones at all,i just dont like people asking the same things over and over again when all the info is there,but as you say it can be anoying looking through 200+pages lol
Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 PM
tonystott

As mine arrived with not one of the faults listed, I would be very hesitant to claim that Rovans are typically supplied like that. Obviously they would go out of nusiness if many cars were sent out in that condition.

Mine works perfectly, and the only unexpected problem was the shortage of two clips for the rear wing. I have not had to replace a single part, and any mods I have done are those which all brands can benefit from, such as
Killer Kables
Shock sox
Pre-filters on air intake and pullstart
Mesh on crankcase openings
Clutch cover
Pico killswitch
tuned pipe (Mielke)
Tarmac rear tyres (extra option)

Here is a photo of mine before fitting the pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72646.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1350773  
Old 01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
dc2 man
Banned

any idea of a price on these things?

they look good actually,better than you would expect
Old 01-06-2010, 05:36 PM
tonystott

I can only compare prices in my local market (Australia), but mine cost just on half the price of an HPI. It was sold badged as a Predator, and while there are no obvious changes from the Rovan original, perhaps the addition of www.predator.com.au adds a layer of QC
Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 PM
clubin

I have recieved 3 models from Hong Kong, and none were busted up, they are packaged shipping has got to be good. They do realize they are shipping these models around the world. That thing was broken when it was put in the box. Sorry to hear about your misfortune man.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:56 AM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: dc2 man

i dont hate clones at all,i just dont like people asking the same things over and over again when all the info is there,but as you say it can be anoying looking through 200+pages lol
The nice thing about the KM thread is that all you have to do is use the search in that forum to look up any particular topic without having to search the whole forum. That's why that particular thread is very helpful. I feel each manufacturer should have their own individual threads(since some of these clones are supposedly made in different warehouses than the originals;-)) ...it keeps things easier to search.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Rallyfinnen

ORIGINAL: dc2 man

Yeah, that's how it came out of the box..
I have done some reading (whatever I could find) on the Rovans, and the general impression is pretty good.
I read about wheels breaking, pins on the driveshafts, and front suspension arms, but it think that's about it.
However, I never found anybody who thoroughly checked the assembly and quality of parts before running it, so I figured I would do that.
Too bad the car is not drivaeable, and since quite a few parts were broken at delivery, I will never drive it 'standard'. The way the plastics feel, I will never replace a broken plastic piece with a Rovan part.
Either the car was shipped like this, or it is extremely fragile! Just some minor dents in the box, and as pointed out before, the packaging is pretty good.
The fan cover on the crank housing must have been cracked before assembly, if it was cracked with the fan cover on, the fan cover have broken too.
Maybe it's poor quality control due to hectic x-mas deliveries, I don't know. I just presented the facts about my car, and I have not read about anything like this from Rovan before.
Only thing that resembles my case is when they delivered cars as 'kits' to be assembled by the customer, they seem to have left out parts in some cases.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Paul1981

It must have been shipped like that.  Even if the box got kicked around Ace Ventura-style I can't see the engine casing cracking like that.  Unless it has been dropped from a great height, there is no way shipping has caused that damage.  However, I don't see how the fact that it is a clone has anything to do with with being damaged in transit?  It doesn't matter if it is Rovan, KM, HPI, FG, MCD, whatever, if your postman is having a bad day and kicks the crap out of your package, something will get broken, no matter WHAT quality the plastics/alloys are.  Engine casings don't just break like plastics do, the only two times I've ever seen an engine casing crack have been driving into a wall at full throttle and a back-flip landing on the engine head.  And the damage is in too many different places; not just one area or corner.

Have you contacted them to tell them about the state you received it in?  I'd be asking for a refund or replacement...
Old 01-08-2010, 01:31 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

have you ran it yet?
Old 01-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Obeast44

In all honesty man that box has been beat to hell and back.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Rallyfinnen

The box looks fairly ok, so I doubt it's transport damage.. at least not all of it.
I only informed them at Rovan that the car was broken when i received it, and told them I would get back to them when I had more time to look at it. I plan to have a closer look in the weekend.
Since I don't believe it's all transport damage, the quality control at Rovan also comes into the equation..This is one bad apple, but as said before, many people are happy with their Rovan's, and I decided to order this one based on their experiences. Guess I just had bad luck!

Actually, the car was shipped twice. First time it only went to Shanghai, then back to Rovan, and then they sent it out again with a new tracking number. I have no idea why.. Same thing happened with my brother's package from Rovan, even though it was ordered and shipped several days later. That one is not delivered yet, hopefully it's in better condition!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Obeast44

The accordian (sp?) looking marks on the box indicate how far its been smashed. Its looks to me like they tried shortening the box a few inches. That couldve been the source of the front end damage. I cant see the other end of the box to judge the damage on it.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Rallyfinnen

Well, here is a video of when I try to install a ball in the spare wishbone delivered with the car, enjoy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PsKK...eature=channel
Old 01-09-2010, 04:49 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Damn, that didn't look good at all!!! I'm not sure but you may have a gotten a clone of the Rovan! That plastic is really brittle.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Obeast44

That definitely blows, could explain why the fronts were FUBAR.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Lars from Norway

I feel your frustration Rallyfinnen!I wonder if it is plastic or just bakelit...
Old 01-09-2010, 05:41 PM
sparky 25

I got a rovan 5t roof protector on my km baja and looking at the rovan plastic compared to the km plastic is a big difference,

the rovan plastic is shiney and extremly light weight, even trying to mount the part i thought it was gona snap in two

I hope rovan send rallyfinnen out the parts with the lower ball already installed
Old 01-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Rallyfinnen

The car came straight from the manufacturer in China, I doubt they sell clones of their own stuff

I'm shocked with the quality of the plastic, I definitely expected better based on what i read about these cars on different forums.
As said above, the plastic is very light, hard and brittle. Nothing like I've ever seen on a LS car before.
I wonder how they get the ball in the wishbone unless they mold it around the ball

I have sent a long email to Rovan today with a lot of pics etc. I hope they can send me parts with better quality.
I might end up buying better quality plastics to be able to use the car.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Vert1go

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.