Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Slammer Dan vs Outerwears crankshaft cover?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Slammer Dan vs Outerwears crankshaft cover?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Freezetron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slammer Dan vs Outerwears crankshaft cover?

Ok, im starting to building a "protection list" for my 5T at DDM so when I finally get it, I've got the best stuff I can install on it to help protect my $1000+ investment.

That being said, I see now that Outerwears is now offering a crankcase cover for our engines. What has peoples experience been with which one protects better? Which one is easier to remove and clean? Any particular faults with one or the other I should be aware of?

VS

Also, i've been outa the Baja mods/upgrades for awhile, so is there anything new and or better for air filtration beyond putting on a Redneck filter and outerwears?

I'm also planning on putting on a little blue exhaust tube from the stock muffler so the exhaust doesn't get all over the rear frame of the 5T. Any issues with this other then sound reduction?

Also, is the Baja 5T chassis cover from Outerwears worth it or not? Or should I get the full front and rear ATX guards now available instead?

VS

I basically i'm looking at giving my 5T maximum protection to reduce wear and tear so I can enjoy it more fully and keep maintenance down. Please don't suggest mods/performance upgrades. Those will come later when I feel the need and or when stuff breaks. I plan on blowing out my Baja with an air compressor after each run before I bring it inside, so if that negates purchasing a product, let me know.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:14 PM
DarkFire989

Default RE: Slammer Dan vs Outerwears crankshaft cover?

You cant go wrong with outwears stuff. If I had the 5T I would get that cover for under the body.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Freezetron

I"m not hearing good things about it at bajaforums, so I think i'll go with the ATX guards instead.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 PM
DarkFire989

Im sure they are cheaper too, and lets you access the fuel tank and radio box. I dont know about the Crankcase guards. The fabric might be weak against rocks. But It will really keep away the grass which the mesh might not. My baja eats so much grass its incredibly annoying to clean out.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:17 PM
tonystott

I have already added fine steel mesh over the crankcase openings and I am also fitting an Outerwears cover. I suspect they do two different jobs.. The mesh stops big stuff, while the Outerwears stops dust etc from abrading points et.c. I don't think the Outerwears could stop hard stuff like gravel.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:41 PM
roccos_van
My Feedback: (1)

I use the slammerdamn, it's a good product and he's a really great guy to deal with.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:00 AM
dimag093

Pullstart,air filter and crankcase covers are ok.But the center cover its too much for me.Cleaning and preparing the rig for the next bash session is also a part of the hobby and I wouldn't trade it's essence for a gigantic condom such as the center outerwears part
My 2 cents[8D]
Old 01-22-2010, 10:54 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

Outwears is the way to go...[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]