Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

An Offer You Can't Refuse!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:09 PM
alexchen86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Offer You Can't Refuse!

Okay so a local guy is selling me his Baja 5b SS with a Futaba 3FM radio set with somewhat new receiver batteries all for $650.

I figure it's not too bad of a deal...I will be doing athorough inspection of it tomorrow morning. I guess the most important things are spur/pinion gear wear, brake wear, tire wear, and how well the buggy operates. The pictures he sent me of course make it look immaculate.

I never had a gas buggy before what else should I be looking out for when I meet him up tomorrow morning?

Btw I got a bonus today from work for $150...sotechnicallyit will cost me $500 bucks....he claims it's only a year and half old. Also are there any after-run procedures I need to do for storage like what I have to do for nitro?

Old 01-29-2010, 09:47 PM
DarkFire989

Default RE: An Offer You Can't Refuse!

Gas engines are essentially idiot proof. Im sure the engine is already tuned, so basically your set. No after run, nothing.... Just next time you fire it up just shake up any remaining gas in the tank. It doesnt cost too much to replace the drive train on the baja, check the engine to make sure its running strong. You're gona love the baja.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:33 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

thats a good deal!i saw the pic and its mostly stok except for the killswitch..u can prolly lower the price down to around 550..
Old 01-30-2010, 09:12 AM
alexchen86

Yea thanks for the fast input guys...that makes ride number 11 in under a year!!

Someone's jonesing hard!

Good thing I sold my nitro RS4 earlier wooo...
Old 01-31-2010, 10:23 AM
alexchen86

Well the world comes together now. Got something for every occasion. Took the Baja out for a test run after the sale we negotiated to $600. Spur/pinion look brand new, tires show a bit of wear but still a good 3 tanks left on pavement driving I bet, brake pads shows a bit a wear, good motor, can't really tell about the clutch, but it had decent pick up so it's still in fair shape i'd say.

Lovin the Baja but I think I need to add more shims to do some routine brake service...unfortunately I don't think he gave me any. I ran out in a huge dried detention lake area that was a little soggy but many dry patches...people race 1/10 and up nitro and gas in the area so no one really complains on noise.

I also love the fact the Baja is splash resistant I didn't know I hit a soft wet spot in the area until I saw a giant wake as I plowed threw it haha. I am thinking of getting the silencers would this be a downgrade or an upgrade to the current HPI tuned pipe on the SS kit?
Old 02-03-2010, 01:20 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

gratz!!thats good deal at least u got it down to 600..50 bux is still 50bux ..man the ss pipe is still loud for you?i guess goodbye revo and tmaxx ?hehehe
Old 02-03-2010, 10:23 AM
DarkFire989

The Stock SS pipe is stupidly loud for the little performance it gives. Go on [link]http://www.davesmotors.com[/link] and get yourself a rear DDM Dominator pipe for the 5B. It will really wake up the baja.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:44 PM
alexchen86

Thanks DarkFire989 I have seen the Dominator pipe they sell it at my LHS.

I don't know much about 2 stroke engines is the rear exhaust muffler just as important as in a 1:1 car? Meaning you should not be running a straight pipe out the back but then again you don't want a huge muffler outlet either as you will be losing back pressure?
Old 02-08-2010, 02:11 PM
DarkFire989

Exhausts play a huge role in adding power in 2 stroke motors.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:13 PM
alexchen86

Another question...so during the wet run I had to use WD-40 to get the water out of some tight spaces including inside the wheels.

I am pretty sure it got into the bearings. In a way that's good as it will prevent rust. But then again WD-40 would eat away at the lubrication...any suggestions on what I should do?

I think the bearings in the SS kit are sealed but even so WD-40 will get in there I know it.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:28 PM
sparky 25

Maybe this link will help, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsXu_XtLAz0

i`ve been repacking my bearings after every gallon run time on my baja,

4 gallons in and not a single bearing failure yet[8D]

Been using this lucas red `n` tacky grease,

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hf99272.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	4.70 MB
ID:	1374603  
Old 02-08-2010, 05:36 PM
alexchen86

Thanks for the tip Sparky...is there any aerosol product I can spray into the bearings similar to the needle on a WD-40 can? I'd rather spray then disassemble after each wet/dirty run on my smaller cars/trucks.

I have been spraying WD-40 into the bearings to dry/clean them out for about half a year now without knowing I was causing damage.

With an aerosol product I can simply spray on some kind of lubricant after the WD-40 dries off.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:48 PM
sparky 25

You should give the repacking of the bearings a go, its really not that difficult or time consuming,

i can strip out all 8 wheel bearings from my baja regrease them and put it back together in about half an hour,

taking the dust seal off and repacking them is the only way i know of greasing the bearings.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:54 PM
alexchen86

That's not what I'm worried about haha.

I have 11 other cars/trucks I have sprayed WD-40 on the bearings with after water runs and I still run them hard...some are shielded some are sealed. Those are all 1/10 and 1/16 scale...so you would see where having a bearing aerosol spray would be handy after water runs and WD-40 treatment.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:01 PM
sparky 25

I guess this spray gease http://cgi.ebay.com/Max-White-Lithiu...item20aeeffc66 might help with the smaller sheilded bearings,

it sprays as a liquid but dries as a water resistant grease,
Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 PM
alexchen86

Cool stuff. Might look into that but is there a reason lithium is important?