Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

my 1/5 Scale Truck Build Part 1

Old 04-18-2010, 09:48 PM
MystiqueLL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 1/5 Scale Truck Build Part 1

Hey everyone! I hope you find this helpful, enlightening, and/or entertaining. If you have any advice or opinions, please don't hesitate to calmly yell them out...lol I will fill you in on my progress up to this point and show you some photos.

1) This is the engine. It is a Chainsaw Motor. It came from a 42cc Poulan Pro chainsaw. I have one of these to actually cut wood. I chose it for several reasons. It has tons of power (42cc). It was very nicely priced at $102 with a 20% off coupon from Harbor Freight. It has a built in friction-clutch. Makes it a lot easier to setup a drive not needing to mess with a clutch.

2) This is the main chassis. It is made out of 1/8 Aluminum. It measures 20" wide and 36" long!!! This will provide tons of strength, while keeping the weight down. Keep in mind this is only a "blank". As I go along, I will trim and cut this thing even further. I just don't want to make any defined / final cuts until everything is "set in place".

3) This is the fuel tank made from 1/8 aluminum as well. It is 2.5"x2.5"x2.5" or 131 centimeters cubed. That is a ton of fuel. It may be "too much"...not sure. But if it is, I can always make one smaller. Once done, it'll be ground smooth and pretty...lol

4) This is just a mockup. Keep in mind this started about 4 days ago. I will keep you updated as it comes along. As I stated, any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Default RE: my 1/5 Scale Truck Build Part 1

First off - welcome to the forum!

And now:
Hell yeah!
Loving this already!
Always good to see more homebuilds.

There's plenty of us building our own cars here and we're all full of ideas and suggestions that will (hopefully) help you along the way.

Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:13 AM
dealwithit
My Feedback: (55)

i like how your already setting up for suspension front and rear whats your plans for the drive system?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:56 AM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Gonna need some serious bracing along the sides and front with that kinda torque that's for sure.

Yep, mhmmmmmmm......

Old 04-19-2010, 07:23 AM
MystiqueLL

Dirty - lol...I am really glad there are tons of homebuilders on here. I have been into RC cars (as most have) all my life. I can remember being 8yrs old and taking my cars/trucks apart. Not always able to put them back together though. The more advice the better.

Deal - I am not 100% sure on the drive yet. I think I am going to get some steel driveshafts for the rear (maybe form HPI Baja). I may just do a belt or chain drive on a stationary axle. Then I am going to drill out the main axle and set in some drive cups for a HPI Baja. As far as suspension goes, I am still thinking on that one. I chose CEN GST 7.7 wheels as they are 7.25" diameter and....4" wide!!! This thing is going looks grotesque...I LOVE IT!!! I may use HPI Baja shocks since they are large and very tough.

Dirty - Oh yeah, this is a must! I am going to tub the sides front to back once everything else is done. Going to tig a 1/2" wall of 1/8" aluminum all the way around. This thing is going to have TONS of power. I really do need the strength. You think a stock 42cc chainsaw motor is powerful??? Wait until you see what's in store for it...[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 04-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Sounds good!!!

I have the same size wheels on [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUhKdXdz2v8]THIS[/link] car but it's slightly shorter than what you're looking at doing.

And has no suspension as yet.

I'm still a newbie to this whole game but am having a lot of fun with it.

Can't wait to see what you're gonna do to that motor.
I have a feeling you're gonna fit in juuuust fine here on the forum.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:36 AM
MystiqueLL

Mine is going to have full Ind Suspension. With all the bashing i plan on doing, it will definitely need it (so it doesn't fall apart on day 1...lol). The motor is going to have basic mods. This includes new plug and wires. The main mod will be a fully custom, aluminum dual exhaust w/ custom intake. This should help it breathe a whole lot better and up the power quite a bit!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always find these homebuild threads entertaining[8D] I built a car with a 36 ccm chainsaw engine in, it ripped the gears apart when it got too much traction. So instead i threw in a 45 ccm chainsaw engine
Old 04-20-2010, 01:15 AM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

ORIGINAL: Lars from Norway

I built a car with a 36 ccm chainsaw engine in, it ripped the gears apart when it got too much traction.
So instead i threw in a 45 ccm chainsaw engine

Norwegian logic.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:04 AM
mindwreck

maybe hes thinking with the bigger engine. it spinns the tires more so theres less traction all the time???? as long as its keeps powersliding, it will be fine
Old 04-20-2010, 08:32 AM
sam123
My Feedback: (1)

Nice looking project you have here.

What method will you use to get the power from the clutch to the wheels? Chain, belt gears etc?

I look forward to seeing more.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Dirty_Vinylpusher

ORIGINAL: Lars from Norway

I built a car with a 36 ccm chainsaw engine in, it ripped the gears apart when it got too much traction.
So instead i threw in a 45 ccm chainsaw engine

Norwegian logic.

Well, now as i upped the power there is no traction at all=no ripping
Old 04-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Mudgy

Hello and welcome to RCU!

Saws have a lot of grunt! Looks good what you've done so far.
Is it based on any other platform? (so a certain body type can fit on)?