Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

diff oil to use?

Old 05-30-2010, 11:59 PM
tizdaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff oil to use?

hi guys

I have an FG MB Pro (MT) & do alot of off road bashing/jumps etc!

gunna be giving my diff a once over & liven it up a lil with some new oil, whats a good weight to use, i want my diff to be stiff as atm its VERY loose, was thinking of around 75k ..or should i go higher? also how much do i need? ive been looking at 50ml bottle or that not enough?

ta guys
Old 05-31-2010, 08:31 PM
clubin

Default RE: diff oil to use?

If it is the standard diff they are not sealed FG just uses grease. , you can put in diff oil easily by pulling out one axle and putting the model on its side and fill the diff. then re install the axle. You will have to continue refilling it because after a tank or 2 it will spit it all out. I have tried 120k. Works good. I have a LSD 4 plate now.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:58 PM
tizdaz

ta mate, gunna use some thick stuff, its the standard diff but wit steel sleeve, after ive filled it gunna silicone it to help keep it in

ta again dude
Old 06-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Lars from Norway

Have you considered FG's diffgrease(siliconegrease)? Part # FG 6512, i have been told that this gives you about 65% diff locking when you use all the grease in the bottle.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:46 AM
dimag093

When using silicone oil,regardless the steel sleeve and/or use of silicone sealant,the diff will leak like crazy because the diff's body is plastic and it tends to bend resulting a break on sealant [8D]
FG 6512 grease,is the ONLY recommendation for stock diff lubrication.Use a max of 35 ml.Anything more than that will lock the diff a better way(wich is what u want)BUT the body might break.The sleeve that enters the ball bearing on either side,snaps like a toothpick due to the forces applied(hydraulic pressure,body bending).It happened to me[]
Make yourself a favor and,
a: Get a completely sealed diff,eg a viscous from FG to keep your expectations high(pricey[:@])
b: Get the aluminum upgrade kit(aluminum body,sleeve and O-rings)
Old 06-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Lars from Norway

If money is no big issue, do as i did and buy the [link=http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=24622&ls=e&nc=1275850947-24855&rubnum=&artnum=fg_8485_05&file=&gesamt_zeilen=0Tsuche8485/05]8485/05-kit[/link] (i already had the alloyhousing and some other parts so i just supplied the rest), this will save you A LOT of mess with the silicone grease being everywhere and on everything you touch after you are finished working with the diff. It takes you a few seconds to adjust the locking effect on the diff, and you can do it without dismantling the whole rear end of the car.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:22 AM
mooman007uk

this is the one i had [link]http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=31223&ls=e&nc=1275923958-31527&rubnum=&artnum=fg_8501_05&file=&gesamt_zeilen=0Tsuche8501[/link]...clubin has it now...works awesome and price has dropped now too as fg have come out with the new powerlock diff that's super expensive
[link]http://www.rc-car-online-shop.de/cgi-bin/cosmoshop/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=31223&ls=e&nc=1275924083-32500&rubnum=&artnum=fg_8605&file=&gesamt_zeilen=0Tsucheblocking%20diff[/link]